993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF am I paying car insurance for????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011 | 03:56 PM
aribop
Race Car

Exclamation WTF am I paying car insurance for????

I get a quote from a shop that I know will do the windshield replacement with original Porsche parts and do it correctly: $1300.

I call my insurance company to file a claim and get the work done. (Geico) I am told they will only cover "aftermarket lifetime replacement glass that meets original specs" and their total is $800...including the $500 deductible!!!!!WTF??????

So I asked the insurance rep why am I paying for insurance if I cannot get what I want done using the original parts? Of course she had no answer.

INSURANCE COMPANIES SUCK! I ******* HATE THEM!!!

I need a new windshield but I don't want some dumbass installing sub-par glass in my car...

Now what??
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:06 PM
Makmov
Drifting

get a real insurance company to start with Geico is horrible.

You can go where ever you want and have the work done by whoever you want to do the work. The law prohibits insurance companies from direct where the car goes for work, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

You don't need a Factory Porsche glass, Porsche never made their own glass when the car was new. Just need to get an OEM Segla glass and Porsche seal, molding and Porsche sealant.

You do want a competent someone to install the glass otherwise some idiot will cut the paint and not seal and you will have rusty windshild frame down the road.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

I'm thinking your choices on glass are going to be very limited anyway and yes, insurance companies can **** a guy off. I'm dealing with one now. They want to depreciate the $200 Garmin that was stolen out of my car because it was 3 years old. They probably won't even replace it without a receipt anyway. My wallet and cell phone aren't covered at all. Increase your deductibles and save your money. Its the closest you can get to being self-insured, at least on the small stuff.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:09 PM
dcdude
Drifting

I think we all should check our policies to see if there is an "aftermarket parts" clause.

The only bright side I see here is that if you don't make a claim, you might be less likely to have your rates jacked up. My dad always said that insurance claims are only for big stuff, and that you don't want to make a claim for a fender bender.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:13 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Luckly there just not a whole lot of "insurance quality" AM parts out there so the are stuck going used in some collision cases or Porsche factory parts.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Geico paid exactly $1300 for my OEM glass 3 years ago. Just call and be reasonable with them. Tell them the OEM glass has a special AM/FM antenna and connector built in (truth), and aftermarket ones are known to creak, etc., etc. Also get your shop of choice involved and have them talk to Geico. It really helps if the shop has actually installed a 911 windshield because it's not as straight-forward as it seems. They can explain that to Geico and make the case for OEM glass. Best of luck!
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:29 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

I just checked with the shop next to FDM (All-Pro Glass), they said the aftermarket glass isn't bonded and they refuse to install it. Only premium glass (Sig) is used. I would talk with your insurance company and tell them it has to be premium glass.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:38 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

I was under the impression that aftermarket glass was not even available for our cars. I had my windshield replaced a couple years ago and I didn't even file a claim. It was around $1300.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:43 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Geico used to apply a fixed $100 deductible no matter what your other limits were for glass replacement. This was about 10 years ago when I replaced the windshield on my VW Corrado. There was no problems using factory glass either, with its integrated sunshade. Maybe things have changed since then.
Old 05-26-2011 | 04:52 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

I spent 15 minutes to see if geico could save me hundreds. Their quote was hundred MORE than my current carrier.
I asked a buddy who is an insurance agent about it and he said that gieco is for 20 year olds, and that adults can always get better insurance cheaper.
Old 05-26-2011 | 06:19 PM
aribop
Race Car

Originally Posted by ilko
Geico paid exactly $1300 for my OEM glass 3 years ago. Just call and be reasonable with them. Tell them the OEM glass has a special AM/FM antenna and connector built in (truth), and aftermarket ones are known to creak, etc., etc. Also get your shop of choice involved and have them talk to Geico. It really helps if the shop has actually installed a 911 windshield because it's not as straight-forward as it seems. They can explain that to Geico and make the case for OEM glass. Best of luck!
I thought I was reasonable, did not raise my voice and explained everything you mentioned above. I guess my explanations were lost on the twenty something agent on the phone. I guess I will call back and ask for a supervisor...
Old 05-26-2011 | 06:58 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by aribop
I get a quote from a shop that I know will do the windshield replacement with original Porsche parts and do it correctly: $1300.

I call my insurance company to file a claim and get the work done. (Geico) I am told they will only cover "aftermarket lifetime replacement glass that meets original specs" and their total is $800...including the $500 deductible
Including or excluding the deductible? If you're only going to net $300, not worth filing the claim IMHO.

If you get no satisfaction from the insurance company, it is worth trying to negotiate a bit with the glass installer. Explain this is an out of pocket expense; glass markup is huge so they might be willing to work with you on the price.
Old 05-26-2011 | 07:39 PM
Pochi.X
Advanced

In my country (Saudi Arabia) car insurance is optional.

If I had a 993, which I'll only use for weekend or my personal hobby of driving around the city for the joy of riding a car, I wouldn't insure the car.

But the 993 gotta wait for a long while before I can get my hands into one!
Old 05-26-2011 | 08:01 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Default Geico is not for Porsches

Geico is a lousy insurance company for Porsches and perhaps other exotics. I am familar with a totaled 1997 993 coupe that Geico insured and the settlement was lengthy, full of hassles and below the market value. People who care about their cars should read their policies and research the insurance companies regarding aftermarket, used parts, stated/agreed/ACV total loss coverage etc. because the companies are not all the same in how they cover such elements.
Old 05-26-2011 | 08:14 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We would never use Geico or Progressive just because of their constant irritating commercials.

Quick Reply: WTF am I paying car insurance for????