Sponsored by:

How to remove the foul smell of an unwanted guest/pest

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
You're subjecting yourself to more risk on-track than from the mice droppings. We have a cabin and every time we go there, we're cleaning up after the little critters. It's gotten to the point that they must be thriving on mouse bait!
haha, that makes me feel a little bit better. i should go to the pet store and handle some mice so i dont feel so grossed out. deer mouse actually looks quite cute but the "black death" comes to mind when i think about rodents.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Just think about the movie, "Ratatouille" or the mice in "Cinderella". Granted, I've got mouse traps set all over my garage...for them and those invasive chipmunks! I dare not leave the garage door open unless I'm right there.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bavarian06
So over the long weekend, I sent more time trying to track down the origin of the smell (fun!).

I removed my cabin filters and thankfully didn't find any traces of mice infestation, phew. I've watched shows like "Chasing Classic Cars" and its always the number one place they hide. However, I noticed its possible for a small rodent for crawl from the front trunk and into the cabin area, right where the front dash is (amazed how this isn't sealed up).

So I removed my dash and there it was, a small pile of droppings and traces of urine (right above the glove box area). I removed/ wiped it away and sprayed it with Lysol afterwards (wore disposable gloves and had my N95 mask on). So my question now is, how dangerous is it to be potentially inhaling some of the leftover remnants (now that its in the cabin)? I’ve searched online and it says deer mice carries Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS): a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva.

Based on the droppings, it looks like normal house mouse (smooth, like the texture and size of a grain of rice). Apparently deer mouse droppings are rough like a peppercorn. Regardless, its very disheartening. Fortunate for me, this is my track car so I’ll only drive it on the days I have an event. Am I subjecting myself to potential risk? I can’t see how it can be too bad since people have mice and rats as pets! Suggestions???
Pretty sure tis' only dangerous if you ingest it. To have any issues with breathing, you would need a LOT of "crap" in there, like piles, of piles.

Just clean & vacuum the interior, you will be fine.

Quick Reply: How to remove the foul smell of an unwanted guest/pest