Sponsored by:

engine balance question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts
Default engine balance question

Hey guys, was reading the aftersales-training pdf available at pcarworkshop, and in the connecting rod section, it indicates that rods with weight deviations of less than 6g can be fitted to one engine.

I'm wondering if these standards were used when the new engines were assembled, because that seems like an awful lot especially without a harmonic dampner.

From my work with performance engines, we always shot for a reciprocating mass weight difference of half a gram or less so I'm kind of surprised to see this (i'm assuming/hoping that they are using heavy or light pistons to get the balance closer).

Anybody know?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, 6g seems like quite alot. One thought is that a boxer-6 is an inherently balanced engine. It does not have the higher order harmonics that v-8 engines or 4-bangers that require harmonic balancers. As such maybe there is more latitude allowed.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by vincer77
Yes, 6g seems like quite alot. One thought is that a boxer-6 is an inherently balanced engine. It does not have the higher order harmonics that v-8 engines or 4-bangers that require harmonic balancers. As such maybe there is more latitude allowed.
While the flat 6 is inherently balanced, so are 90 degree v8s and 60 degree v6s.

I'm kinda surprised porsche didn't feel a harmonic dampner was necessary, especially if they went with such a big weight differential on the rods.

Maybe the document I looked at just didn't specify that the heavy rod should be used with the light piston and vice versa.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
While the flat 6 is inherently balanced, so are 90 degree v8s and 60 degree v6s.
I've always heard the flat 6's & 12's are the "most" balanced.

"The straight-6, flat-6 and V12 designs have none of these forces or moments of vibration and hence are the naturally smoothest engine designs. (See the Bosch Automotive Handbook, Sixth Edition, pages 459-463 for details.)"

Maybe the V's are also naturally balance, but not as much so as the flat & straight 6 engines...therefore handling looser tolerances?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

I'm kinda surprised porsche didn't feel a harmonic dampner was necessary, especially if they went with such a big weight differential on the rods.

Maybe the document I looked at just didn't specify that the heavy rod should be used with the light piston and vice versa.
The cross-plane 90deg V8 is balanced with the aide of counterbalanced cranks. The flat6 is balanced because by the opposing piston motion, w/o counterbalance, which is why I termed it "inherent". From what I understand, V-6s are never balanced w/o the use of a balance shaft or other such device. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...angles-feature

But it is interesting that they decided not to use the harmonic balancer as it is apparently used for the purpose of damping the torsional vibration due to an individual cylinder firing that causes the crank to twist. Maybe Porsche decided that since the other vibrational loads are not present in the boxer layout, the torsional vibration is acceptable. The elimination of the HD does reduce rotating mass.

BTW, which document were you reading?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always thought of balance as the "cancellation" of primary and secondary forces in a reciprocating engine. But just because they're cancelled, the forces don't necessarily go away, and BMW introduced a counterbalancer to its 1200 boxer twins in 2005. The non counterbalanced 1200 in the HP2 is buzzy.

Hoag (in vincer's linked Car & Driver article) mentions the balance of the 90 degree V twin, and the smooth Ducati engines are a good example.

Last edited by Rinty; 05-23-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by vincer77
BTW, which document were you reading?
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...C_Parts_Guides

number 17 on the first list
Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

When I did my rebuild I went sub gram on the balancing. Had the crank checked as well, it was almost perfect. Also included weighing the wrist pins and pistons.

I would have to check my lnotes to see how far out the stock weight were.

I had to rebalance anyways since I switched to APR rod bolts - very important if doing a bottom end.

Cheers.

Mike
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The DMF will act somewhat as a harmonic balancer. For the 993 3.6 engine Porsche focussed on removing as much weight as possible, perhaps this was the driving force behind removing the HB?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Also included weighing the wrist pins and pistons.
I have a brand new set of "Matched" Mahle pistons in original sealed box they were, when I bought them. Wrist pins, rings, all mounted from factory. Lightest is 601 grams - heaviest is 606 grams
where can you apart from the wrist pin, nowhere
and from the conrod bushing
Never tried, but will be trying soon to balance to the max.

What about the crank pulley ??
What correlation has it got with the flywheel ?
In other words: I have three pulleys and each has total different weight (difference 50 grams), and one has PLENTY of counter weights riveted on the back, other two have few.

Quick Reply: engine balance question