Sponsored by:

PSS10 plus what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PSS10 plus what?

Shop is putting my new PSS10 on. I don have the benefit of a local shop liked FD or Viper Bob that has all this down to a science.

What is current thinking on any other changes to make when installing PSS10 on a 100% street car? Just looking for firm, flat handling for occasion aggressive street driving in the central texas hill country

M030 or RS sway bars? Bushings? Strut brace? I am just not sure whether these things are necessary with PSS10 or not...?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:35 AM
simsy
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh I hope this gets answered thoroughtly as I've got a set of PSS10 in a box waiting to be taken to a garage and want to ensure I ask them to do the right bits too. I think Walrod bushings and a strut brace (RSR) are key, am less clear on the consensus for sways...I've heard the stock sways from a ROW may be okay for a daily driver (which mine is...a C2S).
Old 05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

When I did my PSS10s, I had M030 sway bars, Wevo black engine mounts, adjustable rear toe links, and front spherical control arm bushings installed.

I replaced the bushings and toe links because they were significantly worn.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If over 75000 mi and considering they are all over 12 yrs old be prepared to replace the front lower control arm bushings with the Walrod or Elephant racing while in thereThey are cheap at around $100 and only about 1-2 hrs extra . You should do a wheel alignment anyway with a shock change.
I have 111000 on mine I purchased it with PSS9 already installed.
I freshened up the front end with bushings last year when doing brakes. The wiggle which I thought was warped rotors was bushings.The existing rubber bushings will be torn by now in most cars. I upgraded the sways to ROW M030(22/20 vs 20/17) I honestly can,t feel as big a difference as I was expecting.Some improvement but not huge. You can add a strut brace anytime now or later.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Jonathan,

Definitely replace the front control arm bushings. Use the red Walrod bushings and I recommend a core exchange as it is cheaper in the end.

I would also recommend upgrading the sway bars. I cannot recall what I used on my NA cars, but I think it was MO30.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:48 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

One more vote for the front control arm bushings. For your purpose, you will be good with stock sway bars. Safe the money for repairs. When your shop installs the PSS10, make sure that you supply them with extra locking collars. Do a search on rennlist for more details.

The car will be transformed if the stuff is installed and aligned/corner balanced properly. You might add a strut brace later but that is simple DIY.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about the extra locking collars but assume the PSS10 kit has them where the PSS9 kit didn,t. You want 4 collars per side to be able to lock the height and the swaybar bracket in place seperatly.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

fantastic feedback, keep it coming please...!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:07 PM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Shop is putting my new PSS10 on. I don have the benefit of a local shop liked FD or Viper Bob that has all this down to a science.

What is current thinking on any other changes to make when installing PSS10 on a 100% street car? Just looking for firm, flat handling for occasion aggressive street driving in the central texas hill country

M030 or RS sway bars? Bushings? Strut brace? I am just not sure whether these things are necessary with PSS10 or not...?
I went PSS10 with M030 sways, front urethane bushings,RS strut brace
Set front strut @4 / rear strut @5 tires front at 32 rear at 36
set height alittle higher then RS
Good luck
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 PM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default i forgot

also do the RS engine mounts
reasonable price and easy
Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

decide where you are going to set ride height - then be sure the shop can still adjust kinematic toe when lowered. I have found that a major problem with many shops - either they don't do it, or the dealers wont do it on lowered cars. So you should ascertain if they can do that or not. I went with PSS9 and RS sways and like them. A friend of mine we put PS9 on and he had the M030 sways and it feels nearly the same on street. You can always upgrade sways later if you wanted to start with stock - though I recall the front being a massive pain at least for the RS sway change.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Ummm... Coilovers are sexy and peer pressure is a tremendous kick in the *** towards the slippery slope (think heroin here). But. The first and only question to ask is "What do I want the car to do for me and what goal am I trying to achieve by modifying it?).
Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

I would recommend just doing the PSS10s first. If you decide to get more aggressive, you can fine tune with sway bars later. I would go with M030 sways. Less than $400 for a set with bushings and can be upgraded any time (you don't need another alignment for sway bar install.)
As stated above you should check the front lower control arm bushings for play and replace if needed.
And of course a proper alignment is essential.
Engine mounts are a nice upgrade. We only use genuine Porsche RS engine mounts. Wevo mounts are nice and many have used them with success, but we have seen it induce unwanted nvh (noise, vibration, and harshness) on some cars, so we stick with the factory parts and have never had a problem.
You will love the PSS10s!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

after coilover install, a kick-*** ride height / corner balance / alignment will do more to improve handling than anything else IM (not-so-humble) O.

craig
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nile13
Ummm... Coilovers are sexy and peer pressure is a tremendous kick in the *** towards the slippery slope (think heroin here). But. The first and only question to ask is "What do I want the car to do for me and what goal am I trying to achieve by modifying it?).
Sorry, thought that this was obvious from my post, apparently I missed the mark. What I want to achieve is a RS-ride height, crisp flat handling for aggressive street driving, but without loosening the fillings in my teeth. I want adjustability. It is for all these reasons, that I went with PSS10. The shop is installing the PSS10 and doing alignment/corner balancing, etc. This shop is known for their work in this regard, great reputation for dialing in suspensions just right, kinematic toe, etc.. Car will not go on track though, so I was just getting a read on other opinions for what they did with PSS10 for a non-track car.

Great answers here. Thanks again to all.

Quick Reply: PSS10 plus what?