Sponsored by:

Why do 993's cost so much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
No, that is stupidity. It'll be an absolute zero day in hell if I am going to get shot up for the interests and agendas of the few, usually rich ******. Worse yet, in most cases those heading into war have the least to gain and the most to lose...their lives.
be that as it may, they have the courage to risk their lives for something they believe in (and thats their country, not necessarily its political leadership)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I think you need to step outside of your "car enthusiast" mind to realize that cars mean absolutely nothing to some people.
How unfortunate for them, but then, groomed lawns looking like golf greens mean absolutely nothing to me. Different priorities.

My dandelion lawn drives my neighbors nuts; sorry but I have better things to do than play with a lawn.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

be that as it may, they have the courage to risk their lives for something they believe in.
I wonder. Many start off gung ho...then reality sets in.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please let's not turn this into a political discussion. Everyone has different reasons for choosing their car - if one wants to sleep in it all night and polish it all day with a baby diaper: hey, it's your life, your time, your money. One's perspective is not more valid or noble or whatever attribute one wishes to ascribe to it than another's.

The 993 is a beautiful car. I like the sexy lines and curves, the compactness, the stance - it looks like a miniature 997GT3 RSR to me which I think is one of the most magnificent looking race cars ever built.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:45 AM
sjsienna
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought we were talking porsche not politics

so - to get back to it.. I agree that the 993 has a quality - the curves and lines of it are very sexy. I've had mine for more than 10 years now. It was a garage queen for the first 9.5 yrs (I think I have put 10000 miles on it in 10 yrs!) but now I am using it for DD (granted - mostly in good weather here in the bay area). I do find myself glancing back over the shoulder to look at it in the parking lot.

Having said all that - performance is a major element that appealed/appeals about the porsche brand, so I agree with a previous poster - another 100HP would be nice. I think a 997 TT Cab would be a dream too... as long as I also keep my 993 cab :-)
Old 05-21-2011, 12:09 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skywachr
Couldn't disagree more. I drive mine every day (5,000 miles/yr.) here in AZ. We have 7 months of true top down weather (mid-October to mid May). It is a true joy of which I never tire. I've thought about getting a coupe as well for, as strange as it may sound, the summer months. Sorry to admit, I'm just nuts about my car.
5,000 miles a year is not a daily driver, 20,000 miles would be a daily driver! If you live 5 miles from work and drive to and from from work (nowhere else) you will log 5,000 miles in a year. My point was, if the car is your only means of transportation and you have to finance to the max to get one, it is, again in my opinion, not the best choice.

Here in Canada we have May through mid November without any snow. Any nice days (no rain) I take one of my fun cars as well. I would agree on the 4,000 - 5,000 miles per year for a fun car. A daily driver to me is your only car and it goes everywhere everyday in any weather and would expect milage of 20,000. I live 25 miles from my office one way, 50 weeks x 5 days x 2 trips a day would be 12,500 miles just to go to and from my office.

I would have though sunny Arizona would give you 12 months a year of great weather.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
How unfortunate for them, but then, groomed lawns looking like golf greens mean absolutely nothing to me. Different priorities.

My dandelion lawn drives my neighbors nuts; sorry but I have better things to do than play with a lawn.
Are the dandelions also speed yellow?

Yet another to love 993s! "It goes well with the weeds in my yard!"
Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
5,000 miles a year is not a daily driver, 20,000 miles would be a daily driver! If you live 5 miles from work and drive to and from from work (nowhere else) you will log 5,000 miles in a year. My point was, if the car is your only means of transportation and you have to finance to the max to get one, it is, again in my opinion, not the best choice.

Here in Canada we have May through mid November without any snow. Any nice days (no rain) I take one of my fun cars as well. I would agree on the 4,000 - 5,000 miles per year for a fun car. A daily driver to me is your only car and it goes everywhere everyday in any weather and would expect milage of 20,000. I live 25 miles from my office one way, 50 weeks x 5 days x 2 trips a day would be 12,500 miles just to go to and from my office.

I would have though sunny Arizona would give you 12 months a year of great weather.
well, considering the average miles is about 15k per year in the US, 20k miles is a bit much.

not to mention, there are about 250 working days a year, 5 miles to the office and back would be 2,500 miles. he is doing double that.

Not to mention, if he drives it daily, its his daily driver...mileage is a non-issue
Old 05-21-2011, 01:07 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I live and work at home...a daily driver for me COULD be far less than 1000.

Last edited by DC from Cape Cod; 05-21-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 PM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well, considering the average miles is about 15k per year in the US, 20k miles is a bit much.

not to mention, there are about 250 working days a year, 5 miles to the office and back would be 2,500 miles. he is doing double that.

Not to mention, if he drives it daily, its his daily driver...mileage is a non-issue
My point was 5 miles one way! I know of very very few who live within 5 miles of work. so double your 2,500 and you have the 5,000 noted in my post. A busy life to and from work daily, out to meeting in town for work, out for lunch, kids outings to activities, outings with the wife etc. the milage goes fast. If your 70 and go nowhere then I understand your 5,000 miles as a daily driver otherwise not.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd wager your opinion differs greatly from the majority of the people here. Different than enthusiasts of any marquee, for that matter.

The 993 is just a car. A toyota corolla is just a car as well. Does that mean there can't be differences? Of course not.

However, it makes me sad to see people personify vehicles...talking about soul especially. All it is is the combination of a bunch of parts. It takes it too far in my opinion to try to personify inanimate objects.

Some people use a car for transportation only. They probably don't care whether they get a corolla or a chevy cruze or whatever because its an appliance. Do I really follow my heart when I purchase a toaster? No, i find one that does what I need it to do, and thats it. If you don't enjoy driving, and aren't interested in cars, what is the real difference in one economy car to another.

I think you need to step outside of your "car enthusiast" mind to realize that cars mean absolutely nothing to some people.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBP
My point was 5 miles one way! I know of very very few who live within 5 miles of work. so double your 2,500 and you have the 5,000 noted in my post. A busy life to and from work daily, out to meeting in town for work, out for lunch, kids outings to activities, outings with the wife etc. the milage goes fast. If your 70 and go nowhere then I understand your 5,000 miles as a daily driver otherwise not.
3.7 miles one way the fun way, 3.3 miles one way the boring way. (Paradise Valley to Scottsdale.) 4 days a week in the office. Eat lunch at work. 44 work weeks a year. Yeah, I know. You go figure. That's 1300 miles to work a year. l take my 993 every time, every day except sometimes when it rains (a rare event in the desert). My wife and I always take my car unless we're going to haul something too large. Kids both have their own cars to drive. 5 car, 4 person family so I do have a choice. 993 gets to go everytime.

"70 and go nowhwere". Not 70 yet and my life is like a dream.

Quad, by the way, It's just too stinking hot here Mid-May to Mid-October to enjoy top down. At least during the day.

Last edited by skywachr; 05-21-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toto111
993s cost so much because I have the privilege of living in Australia!

Examples currently for sale:

C2 Tip $89,000
C4S $134,500
TT $179,000

No wonder I'm still Porscheless!!!!!
Can't you foreign guys buy a US car and have it shipped over? Even if the fees for import are high it would really seem to make economic sense.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Skywachr

Good edit!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:39 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Mike. No reason to be nasty about it.

Quick Reply: Why do 993's cost so much?