Sponsored by:

Why do 993's cost so much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Not saying I want to fornicate with it but I do love me some Cactuswagen!
Are you sure?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...1000-cars.html
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thats exactly what it is. A car...a amalgamation of parts...a machine...a tool for transportation...nothing more
Sad on you that you feel this way. As I stated above, passion goes a long way in enhancing the driving experience. Each to their own, but I'm just glad and proud to use words like passion, soul, etc & names for my cars when it comes to my girls.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Sad on you that you feel this way. As I stated above, passion goes a long way in enhancing the driving experience. Each to their own, but I'm just glad and proud to use words like passion, soul, etc & names for my cars when it comes to my girls.
I only use words like passion and soul for people. I also don't name vehicles.

I don't have passion for any mechanical object.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just spent a grueling 900 miles on the road in the last day and a half. The sole redeeming factor? 'Twas in the 993...it can even make grueling fun.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by RBP
The 993 is not a daily driver! If you have to borrow the money, well you simply can't afford one. I drive my cars on ocasion when the weather is perfect, it makes driving them special, something to look forward to. As a daily driver they become just another car.
I first read this when posted...thought about a reply, but was just too damn busy.

As others have mentioned, I couldn't disagree more with the "sunny day" use statement. Since getting my C4S last Memorial Day Weekend, I've put just over 10K miles on it. It was my DD last year, work round trip was about 50 miles. This year, my round trip is about 5 miles. I won't subject the car to that repeated short drive.

However, that being said...a couple times a week, and every weekend, bicycles get attached to the rack atop and off I go. I use my 993 as transportion, as an appliance, as a dare I say...a SPORT utility vehicle.

Like many here, I've owned a damn lot of cars in my life. I honestly had quite a few "special" never on a rainy day cars. Many were polished, and cleaned more than they were driven. Still, I had to pay for(always financed), and insure them 24/7 365.

Finally, the last "special" car taught me a very important life lesson. It took two years to sell, I had to strip off thousands of $$ worth of go fast-sound good stuff...to finally get to a price point that it sold. The young lady who bought it, did so because it was white...and a Turbo. She didn't give a **** that it had always been garaged, never purposely driven in rain, was spotless, and had a fully detailed undercarriage. She didn't care that it won EVERY car show and concours that it was entered in either.

As she backed out of the driveway, all I could think about was how much I cleaned and polished that car. I could have driven the hell out of it, had the memories...and still sold it for very similar money.

From that car on, I have clean, maintained...and driven the wheels off of everything I have owned.

There are so many cars I've owned, that I have to strain to remember experiences driving them...because I rarely did.

You wanna talk memories?

I had a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro, it was my year round DD for 13 years and 276K miles. It had a fully adjustable suspension, with Koni externally adjustable inserts-all delrin bushings, a Scorpion cat back exhaust, a little motor work, some ECU magic, and HUGE rally lights thru bolted on the front bumper

It was loud, low, and rough.

I autocrossed, ice raced, club rally'ed, DE'd...you name it. Been there, wrecked that. That car broke so many times, was bent so many times, had so many sets of summer/race/winter tires on it, it was regoddamndiculous.

That Audi is, the hi water mark for car memories of my 34 years of driving. Was it the fastest thing I ever owned...no. Was it the best handling-well..in winter definately, but certainly not in dry weather. But, the combination of memories is pure and real.

God bless you if you are patient enough to only limit yourself, to only treat yourself on those choice few "nice" weekends for a drive in your 993. The cars next owner will thank you for maintaining it, but not using it.

I anxiously await the next 10 years, so I can build the memories with my C4S. What little time I have spent with it, has been magic. That car is just like spending time with my 10 year old daughter in my arms, it just feels so right.

A twist on the old expression...Life is too short to drink bad wine, plain beer, and drive boring cars. I enjoy good food, and entertaining company. I drive my 993 as often as I can, rain or shine.

I ain't saving my example for posterity, that's your role apparently.

oh yea...and the car is financed too. Didn't want to leave that out.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Bull****. If this were true why do you waste so much time on a car forum? Are you just on here to rattle our cages?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Bull****. If this were true why do you waste so much time on a car forum? Are you just on here to rattle our cages?
It was asked earlier as to why he's here. Again, his loss, IMO.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It was asked earlier as to why he's here. Again, his loss, IMO.

Troll: One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll)

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29)
Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

You guys are right. I shouldn't have taken the bait.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only use words like passion and soul for people. I also don't name vehicles.

Who cares?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 AM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the attention of Mr. Mark in Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

You the esteemed American people, though having only 235 years history, have invented way too many words than you actually need--such as a “troll” to say a person who has a light tendency of being anti-social, then maybe a “xxxxx” to say another person whose such tendency is a bit heavier, then a “yyyyy” for a further heavier one etc. We the Chinese people, on the other hand, use only one word to cover all of them with such tendency no matter light, or medium, or heavy. And, according to our history book, 5,000 years ago our ancestors have already started not only using the word verbally but also carving it on stone in capital letters--ARSEHOLE.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One is not a troll because they disagree with your opinion regardless of how passionately held. Love your car and accept that not everyone feels the same way about it as you do. Ascribing denigrating names to those you wish to marginalize doesn't reflect any positive character traits (i.e. juvenile).
Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I "waste" so much time on a car forum, because I like learning things about the car so that I can fix it myself if the need arises. Not necessarily because I want to, but more because I think its wasteful to run to a shop everytime something breaks.

Threads like this just entertain me because I think people go way overboard on this "OMFG, 993 BEST CAR EVAR, NOTHING ELSE COMPAREZZZZZ" stuff. Same goes for the guys over at the Mercedes W140 forum.

And the personifying cars stuff has always creeped me out. "she" "my baby" "like my kids" "soul" etc....creepy stuff

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
That car is just like spending time with my 10 year old daughter in my arms, it just feels so right.
The rest of your post is cool, but I hope you aren't comparing driving an automobile with spending quality time with your daughter. One is so far above the other that I can barely comprehend it.

Originally Posted by 993RS
Who cares?
Well, a few people asked why I post here, but I'm guessing just about nobody.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

...And the personifying cars stuff has always creeped me out. "she" "my baby" "like my kids" "soul" etc....creepy stuff.
Christine!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

You guys are right. I shouldn't have taken the bait.
My post was not an admonishment of you but merely a general reminder in case people had forgotten how the word "troll" is defined.

Quick Reply: Why do 993's cost so much?