Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Need recommendations/tips on September vacation in the vicinity of Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm curious how drinks are at #9 Park now that the main bartender (Peter Lynch (?), but not related to Barbara) has gone to Drink. I was thinking of recommending #9 to Viggo as a nice upscale place in the area.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viggo,
A very nice thing to do for a car guy is to visit the Paul Russell restoration shop in Essex, Mass. This is one of the very very best shops in the world-- it has won at Pebble Beach many times and looks after Ralph Lauren's car collection. Alex Finnegan is the fellow to talk to about visiting. While you are in Essex, you can go to Woodman's, home to some of the most famous fried clams around. That makes a very nice day.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I'm curious how drinks are at #9 Park now that the main bartender (Peter Lynch (?), but not related to Barbara) has gone to Drink. I was thinking of recommending #9 to Viggo as a nice upscale place in the area.
My trips into Boston have (unfortunately) been few and far between since moving to Providence at the beginning of the year. So I have no idea how #9 is faring. I will have to go find out!

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-09-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Viggo,
A very nice thing to do for a car guy is to visit the Paul Russell restoration shop in Essex, Mass. This is one of the very very best shops in the world-- it has won at Pebble Beach many times and looks after Ralph Lauren's car collection. Alex Finnegan is the fellow to talk to about visiting. While you are in Essex, you can go to Woodman's, home to some of the most famous fried clams around. That makes a very nice day.
+1 on Paul Russell shop. Great guys and very accommodating I was there last year with the Ferrari club and several of Ralph Lauren's collection were there getting prepped for display at the Louvre in Paris.

What day do you arrive?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Viggo, there are few nice restaurants within walking distance. Catch me after the race on Saturday and before the race on Sunday, I've PM'd you my cell. Depending on what you feel like after the flight there are a few places to go to.

Improv Asylum, btw, runs shows every evening at 8 or something like that. They are about a 10 minute walk, right around the corner from Neptune. Oh, Neptune doesn't take reservations and be prepared to wait for a hour+ if you go there Saturday night, for example. You can generally leave them your name and hang around North end for a while, maybe get a drink. Saturday is a zoo there.

Oh, btw, this weekend little arts and crafts (and some homemade glass, jewlery, etc) show at Columbus park, right outside of hotel's door. You might want to walk there for a bit. Sunday nights there are usually movies on the big screen in the same park.
Cool, will try the Improv Asylym then! We did actually plan to eat on Neptune on Sunday so maybe go there and get on the list and then go for a drink somewhere else closeby? Noted your cell phone via PM, thanks!

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Viggo, while in New Hampshire if you have time check out the cog railway.http://www.thecog.com/ I believe it is the oldest running railroad in America? but don't quote me on that. It is a fun ride up, about an hour each way, and it is pretty thrilling as the railroad turns to some pretty steep inclines and declines. The views a top Mt. Washington are breathtaking and there is a gift shop and restaurant at the summit. It is an easy way to see the White Mountains all at once. If you do end up staying at Stonehurst Manor the cog is approx 45 minutes away on a long beautiful road (Rt. 302) which passes by many small parks and pull offs to catch some of the views. Have a great time!!
We are staying two nights at Stonehurst Manor. How much of a project is getting up to the summit of Mt.Washington? How good a view can you get just driving? Any particular suggestions for Stonehurst Manor? I mean which room to stay in and what to eat? . What else do you usually do when you stay there?

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The bartenders @ drink are excellent! You can be exceedingly vague with them (ex. sweet, vodka, no mango, you're a girl-drink-drunk, etc.) and they are only more than accommodating to concoct something that will taste incredible. FYI, Valet parking @ Drink is $16 but there is free (after 6pm) meter parking on the left past the light, one block towards the convention center.
Will try "Drink" for sure. We will just take a cab there so parking is not an issue. Here in Sweden the limitations with drinking and driving is very strict. I could not have one drink and drive without exceeding the limit. I find it somewhat amusing using words like "having drinks" and "valet parking" in the same sentence . Thanks for the tip though!

Originally Posted by 89826
Viggo,
The restoration shop sounds nice! Does he only do old Porsches or are there also some post 80's cars?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Viggo, I would suggest rooms 20, 21B, 22, 23, 25. I would suggest staying away from the mountain view wing, the accommodations aren't as classy and have less character. You will be up there for prime time views of foliage season. It is easy to do the cog railway, there are brochures near the front desk with directions and prices, etc. It is a very nice, easy drive, all pretty much one road to get to the cog railway. You could drive up the Mt. Washington Auto Road, which can be nerve racking at times as there is no barrier and some pretty steep cliffs, but you may be used to this anyways from driving in Sweden. I was white knuckled the whole way up!!! Cathedral ledge is a little scenic view 5 minutes from Stonehurst where rock climbers climb it has fantastic views of the surrounding towns. If you are up for a little adventure there are plenty of places to do a zip line tour. They strap you in a harness and you ride the zip line from area to area. Very safe, and fun. There used to be a glider tour. A plane pulls up a glider and then releases it and you glide for a couple hours in an enclosed glider. All the brochures near the front desk will give you a better idea and the staff is very kind and will give you more ideas and help if needed. As far as my Wife and I we just take in the views and pull over and take a small hike in the woods. You will pass by a ton of trails that tell you the difficulty and distance and how long of a hike. Most are OK with just sneakers. You could take a ride down to The Basin, it is a natural pool of water with a nice easy hike/walk in the woods, great for pictures. Woodstock Brewery is only a few minutes away. As far as food, you can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Stonehurst Wellington with everything on it is fantastic. Seafood Newburg is great. Prime Rib is great. Beef short ribs are great. Clam Chowder is to die for. The breakfast menu is incredible. I suggest the Eggs Benedict and definitely the Hunter's Hash. It is made with the leftover Prime Rib. Totally awesome. There just happens to be a Micro Brewery directly across the street from Stonehurst called MOAT Brewery. Great beers and great food too. I don't know when you are planning on being at Stonehurst but my Wife and I may book 2 nights for Sept 29th-30th so if you are up there and see a silver C4S that would be me. Drinks on me!!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

The restoration shop sounds nice! Does he only do old Porsches or are there also some post 80's cars?
Does everything. Old F-cars, Benz's, Porsche's.

He did all the restoration for Ralph Lauren's collection. Amazing stuff and considered one of the best in the world.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris that is just what I needed, perfect! I booked the Stonehurst manor for two days, seems very nice. Now I just need to find nice accomodation in Portland, Camden and for two days in Bar Harbor.

I will have to pay this forward some day. What a wealth on information on this board, awesome !
Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All solid advice here for sure. Very thorough. Now Viggo, make sure you don't need advice about the fiancee...

Quick Reply: OT: Need recommendations/tips on September vacation in the vicinity of Boston, MA