Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Need recommendations/tips on September vacation in the vicinity of Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Viggo, you have a PM
Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If we are going to talk Lobster rolls one must go to Sesuit Harbour Cafe in Cape Cod. Maybe DC from Cape Cod can give you more info on it. IMO it is a must try. THE BEST seafood in New England I have ever had, and I have had my share. Cool little place right on a canal with picnic tables outside. I believe it is in Dennis, MA.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I've heard it is really good but I have never been there....
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

While you guys are in the mood, any similar place with good simple seafood in or near Newport? We're thinking a day trip and Viggo would possibly go that way too in September.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
While you guys are in the mood, any similar place with good simple seafood in or near Newport? We're thinking a day trip and Viggo would possibly go that way too in September.
The Landing in Newport is good for seafood but most of Newport is all commercial traps there really aren't many great places to choose from other than The Landing. http://www.thelandingrestaurantnewport.com/ For a more laid back casual, sit outside on the water, with a beer and some raw oysters I would recommend matunuck oyster bar. www.rhodyoysters.com It is about 20-25 minutes from Newport (it is a little more South heading towards Westerly and the Watch Hill area but not as far.)

That would be my number one recommendation for seafood in RI. After that I would head to Newport, but don't discount Jamestown for a quick visit, (You have to drive through it to get to Newport Bridge anyways). I would check out Ft. Wetherill in Jamestown, there is a giant area of WWII forts that you can explore and catch some great views of the bay. Then at Newport I would drive by the mansions on Bellevue Ave which will lead you to Ocean Drive which is a twisty road all along the water with some fantastic jaw dropping homes....then I would stop at Castle Hill and sit in an adirondack chair on the lawn and enjoy the finest margarita you will ever have and quite possibly the best view in RI. That would be my day!!

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 07-21-2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Hyannis is a dump - it is 15 minutes east of me and I go there only when absolutely required.

Not much else to add - these guys have it well covered. September is probably the best month to visit - still plenty warm but most of the tourists are gone.
Noted, will try to avoid Hyannis

Originally Posted by Cactus
Watkins Glen, NY. Just spent the weekend there and hiked, drank microbrews in a barn with cool locals, tried probably 80 different wines, saw an awesome live band, went to the speedway for a PCA DE, etc.
The Glen would be really nice. Just doubtful we will be heading that far east though. Will keep it in mind. Are there any other raceways closerby?

On the short list is also a visit to a really nice Porscheshop. I visited Holt when I was in West Chester, PA which was nice. I would love to visit like Deman Motorports or something similar like Andial or whatever but they seem too far away...

What town on the Cape do you want the B&B to be in? The Cape is a pretty big place.
Sorry for not being more specific. I'd like tips of a nice place to stay on Nantucket or Marthas, plus a nice place on mainland CC. My friend is getting married in Chatham and they have organized for us to stay at the Ocean edge resort, which is where the wedding takes place. Now I see it says Brewster, not Chatham...

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
If you go up to New Hampshire on your visit, give yourself and your fiancee the pleasure of staying here.
http://stonehurstmanor.com/ No affiliation, just a very satisfied visitor.

You will not regret it. Quaint, great service, some of the best food you will ever eat, and affordable. My wife and I stay here every couple of months during the week. $136 a night (depending on what room you get, it could be more or less). That price includes an amazing breakfast for 2. (get eggs benedict and hunter's hash.) And dinner for 2. (Stonehurst Wellington is fanstastic).
Stonehurst manor will most likely be one of our stops going north from Boston, thanks for the tip.

Chatham Bars Inn is one of the nicest places around - located on the "elbow" of the Cape, it places you in the middle (driving wise) of everything and Chatham is a great little town.

http://www.chathambarsinn.com/
Noted. Is this for accommodation/dining or both? Will check it out.

Originally Posted by Mercedesben
I love cape cod! I just got back from a great roadtrip in the 993 to the Wellfleet.
Amazing food, freshwater ponds and amazing dunes on the beach.
Go to the Beachcomber restaurant/bar on the oceanside. We stayed at the inn at duck creeke and it was very nice. This is my yearly event! The further away from the cape cod canal the better. I have been going to wellfleet all my life and don't forget to get sandwiches at the box lunch! A stop in Chatham is great and Provincetown is a little wacky but fun.
Wellfleet oysters are one of my favourites. We will definately go there. Either just to eat or even to stay overnight. Good to know at least one good place to eat

Originally Posted by dcdude
There's more to New England than the Boston area...you gotta hit the road and go see stuff! Boston is simply an airport used to get to Maine!

But seriously, below is a proper "lobster roll" I had at Shaw's Fish & Lobster in New Harbor, ME.
Noted. That could be one of our stops up north. Lovely rustique original seafood bar it seems? Very nice. . We will definately do a tour up north, that's the plan.

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
If we are going to talk Lobster rolls one must go to Sesuit Harbour Cafe in Cape Cod. Maybe DC from Cape Cod can give you more info on it. IMO it is a must try. THE BEST seafood in New England I have ever had, and I have had my share. Cool little place right on a canal with picnic tables outside. I believe it is in Dennis, MA.
Noted, another place to eat on CC, perfect!

Special thanks to nile13 and Kmassed for their help
Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The Chatham Bars Inn is probably the finest accommodations on the Cape...there is nicer on Nantucket where you can spend $3000 a night but that's crazy. Plenty of good food suggestions already - I don't eat out that much.

Nantucket is a high-end destination with prices to match, mostly centered around the town of the same name. The vineyard is almost like a series of islands as each little town has it's own flavor (my favorite is Edgartown...where Jaws was filmed)
Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris, thanks! I've been to Newport a few times, have to tow the new GF there as she hasn't been. Oysters is the magic word (for her, anyway). I'll it you with PM unless Viggo has specific interest in Newport, than we can discuss things here for all to see

Viggo, just so you know, there are several very (and I mean very) nice beaches near Newport that will probably still be warm in September, so if you make it a day or two there you might go on a mansion tour or just walk on the cliffs behind mansions, spend a couple of hours on the beach and than partake in Chris's restaurant suggestions

BTW, Viggo, we went to Maine for my B-day a few weeks ago and chanced upon this place in at night when everything else was closed (and everything in Maine is pretty much closed at 10PM): http://www.beachfiremaine.com/ Food is OK, but sitting around the open fire outside drinking beer was really, really nice.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Wellfleet oysters are one of my favourites. We will definately go there. Either just to eat or even to stay overnight. Good to know at least one good place to eat
Unfortunately the beachcomber (and most places in Wellfleet) close after labor day weekend. A few places will temporarily reopen for OysterFest in the middle of October but not much. Absolutely try PB Boulangerie for breakfast and/or dinner. And if you can, visit around the weekend of Oct 16-17th.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread really reminds me how lucky I am tolive in Boston, and New Engalnd.

Since you'll be staying on the Cape with a good amountof time to explore I would say don't miss the following:

* Take the ferry to Nantucket. It's easy to pick up in Hyannis. Stay overnight if you can.
* Spend a dayin Provincetown...check out the art galleries and colorful street life, and sepnd half a day at the beach (which is absolutely incredible).
* Hit Newport, and do a mansion tour (I recommend The Breakers)... Then drive down Ocean Ave and see "today's mansions.
* Drive to western Mass (Lennox) and check at Tanglewood (classical music/Boston Pops). Go antique shopping. Have dinner at the Wheatleigh. http://www.kiwicollection.com/hotel-detail/wheatleigh
* Drive up the MaineCoast and spending a night in Kennebunkport or Ogunquit, or some place farther up if you feel like driving.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:58 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, BTW, Viggo, the gas here is expensive but still at least twice as cheap as in Europe. So don't be afrain to drive.

To that end, if you do have a couple of days free, a side trip to Watkins Glenn, Finger Lakes and Niagara falls might be a good idea. Glen is about 5 hours from Boston, Niagara is about 7. Finger Lakes are in between. Many little vinaries, good looking lakes and hills, couple nice natural parks (Letchworth, Stony Brook, etc).
Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

I am from Newport so any recommendations please ask.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:27 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 552 Likes on 375 Posts

* Hit Newport, and do a mansion tour (I recommend The Breakers)... Then drive down Ocean Ave and see "today's mansions.
+1 on Rome's recommendations on visiting the mansions. The other mansion in Newport I have visited multiple times is Marble House.
If you enjoy sailing, it's definitely worth getting on a sailboat and touring the Newport Harbor.

On the Cape, Ocean Edge where you are at is nice, centrally located and more affordable than Chatham Bars Inn.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:10 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin, food and beach recommendations in Newport or anywhere on the way from Boston to Newport, please?
Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Mike,

On the way to Newport there is nothing but RT 24, but right before the sakonnet bridge is this nice place called The Boat House... They have some great food especially their corn based chowder. The best beach in Newport that is accessible is second beach in Middletown. It's a long open sand beach and has plenty of parking. In Newport there are a good number of dining options. The expensive side has castle hill, the spiced pear and 41 north. A good seafood place is the mooring which has come back recently. There is also asterisk on lower thames and scales and shells ( I think that is the name). Lastly for a short trip into Jamestown there is trattoria
Simpatico which has an amazing outdoor setting. Out of all of these I like the boat house as it is relatively uncrowded compared to the Newport joints. While you are down here check out park place in portsmouth. It is a car storage facility where I store my 993 in the winter and has some really nice cars in there. It is a two minute detour at most!

Quick Reply: OT: Need recommendations/tips on September vacation in the vicinity of Boston, MA