Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Need recommendations/tips on September vacation in the vicinity of Boston, MA

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:10 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Hyannis is a dump - it is 15 minutes east of me and I go there only when absolutely required.

Not much else to add - these guys have it well covered. September is probably the best month to visit - still plenty warm but most of the tourists are gone.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Watkins Glen, NY. Just spent the weekend there and hiked, drank microbrews in a barn with cool locals, tried probably 80 different wines, saw an awesome live band, went to the speedway for a PCA DE, etc.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, thank you! I'm simply amazed by the number of responses; Is this a great place or what?

nile13: Thanks a lot. I will most likely contact you via email in due course.

I need to digest all this input and discuss it with my fiancee and then figure out what to do from there.

I also forgot to add that a visit to a nice brewery would be very cool. When I was in PA last year we visited the Victory Brewery, which was a blast. I know Samuel Adams is big in MA, but do you have any other nice micro breweries? Watkins Glen, I'll have to check that out.. If it helps, I'm more into the belgian type beers, even though I really like many of the American micro brewery type beers as well.

I also didn't know that this was typical seafood area. But that is all good, we both love seafood. Two years ago when I was visiting my friend in Chatham on CC, I had some of the best oysters I've ever had. I believe they came from Wellfleet on Cape Cod. Oysters are one of my favourite things to eat so I will definately visit that oyster place I was recommended in Boston. Lobster is not bad either, thank you so much for all the recommendations. So I guess for steaks, then maybe Morten's or some of the bigger chains? If you know of good local restaurants, that could be very useful information as well. As you said maybe you don't eat as good in this area as in NY, but I think if you know the good places to goto you most certainly can eat just as good?

So, do you guys think that the bed & breakfast places are the generally the best places to stay. As I said, I looked at the Wequassett resort on Cape Cod but 1. We don't play golf and 2. the prices were all over the place ranging from 300usd to 3000usd per night for a doubleroom. If you know any good placed to stay, please share. The setting is important of course. A lovely pictoresque bed & breakfast with views overlooking the harbour seems like a great place to stay .

I will look into the SPA facility recommended also. If you guys know of a SPA where you can stay for a day or so and get some massage, go for a swim or a turkish sauna, or maybe a facial treatment or a pedicure, please do share. Then I have some place to leave my fiancee while I pay a visit to the brewery .

I will probably bump this thread lateron when I know more about the specifics of the trip (dates etc.) if you guys don't mind. After digesting and discussing with my fiancee I'm sure we will have some follow-up questions.

Thanks again everyone for your input
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

What town on the Cape do you want the B&B to be in? The Cape is a pretty big place.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go up to New Hampshire on your visit, give yourself and your fiancee the pleasure of staying here.
http://stonehurstmanor.com/ No affiliation, just a very satisfied visitor.

You will not regret it. Quaint, great service, some of the best food you will ever eat, and affordable. My wife and I stay here every couple of months during the week. $136 a night (depending on what room you get, it could be more or less). That price includes an amazing breakfast for 2. (get eggs benedict and hunter's hash.) And dinner for 2. (Stonehurst Wellington is fanstastic).
Old 05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
I know Samuel Adams is big in MA, but do you have any other nice micro breweries?
You can do better and more "local" than Sam Adams. Here are a few real, local brewpubs that I enjoyed last summer for food and drink:

Portsmouth, NH has Portsmouth Brewing:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/portsmouth-b...nts-portsmouth

Federal Jack's, Kennebunkport, ME
http://www.yelp.com/biz/federal-jack...-pub-kennebunk

Portland, ME has several some of which are walking distance from each other. I can personally vouch for Gritty's, but I really enjoyed Shipyard and Geary's elsewhere in New England: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/15
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Viggo, a friend of mine works for spafinder.com and it's becoming pretty popular for spa searches, so you might want to try.

Oysters. Wellfleets are probably the most popular oysters here. There are quite a few other local oysters, but wellfleets are ubiquitous and great. You'll find them pretty much everywhere. If you like oysters you'll be happy in Boston. the two best oyster places are aforementioned Neptune in North End and B&G oysters in South End. Some swear by Union Oyster house, although it is very touristy.

Beer - there's a whole bunch of good beer too. Sunset Grille has about 250 beers including about 100 on tap. Sam Adams has tours as does Harpoon brewery. Watch City brewery in Waltham is not a bad place at all, it's a pub with microbrewery inside. So is Boston Beer Works at Fenway. And there are others.

Of good restaurants I would highly recommend #9 Park (Barbara Lynch owns it as well as B&G Oysters). Also L'Espalier, Prezza, Menton (new place), O'Ya Sushi (make a reservation far in advance, prepare to pay... a lot... and be amazed), Meritage and some others. On the other hand, I heartily recommend a pair of places owned by very innovative and absolutely ridiculously good local chefs - Craigie on Main and Ten Tables (either JP or Cambridge location). Hungry Mother is another one to mention.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Time to bring this thread up to date. The flight tickets are booked and the rental car is booked but nothing else. I need to make an itinerary and start booking accomodation. We are flying in and out of Boston, MA (Logan). Arriving sept 10th and flying back oct 1st. We would like to spend the first couple of days in Boston to begin with. It's hard to know which hotels are good and which are not. Where does one stay in Boston for around 150-200usd per night for a double room? After a few days in Boston, the plan is to do a tour up north for a week or so and then visit Cape Cod / Marthas / Nantucket etc. For the week tour we are thinking about mainly bed 'n breakfast places to stay overnight (120ish per night per doubleroom??) and then on Cape Cod spend a bit more on accomodation and stay at a couple of different nice places.

So now it's basically accomodation I need to fix first hand. Then I can start planning the itinerary in detail with places to visit, places to go and eat etc. etc.

nile13 - I will PM you with questions as we go along, thanks a lot for your help
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan on going to New Hampshire I would definitely check out Stonehurst Manor. stonehurstmanor.com It is pretty much a big bed and breakfast with fantastic food and drinks. Their prices are around 150 a night and include breakfast and dinner for two. That deal can not be beat any where. Again, no affiliation, I just happen to go there every few months and am always satisfied.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chatham Bars Inn is one of the nicest places around - located on the "elbow" of the Cape, it places you in the middle (driving wise) of everything and Chatham is a great little town.

http://www.chathambarsinn.com/
Old 07-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

I love cape cod! I just got back from a great roadtrip in the 993 to the Wellfleet.
Amazing food, freshwater ponds and amazing dunes on the beach.
Go to the Beachcomber restaurant/bar on the oceanside. We stayed at the inn at duck creeke and it was very nice. This is my yearly event! The further away from the cape cod canal the better. I have been going to wellfleet all my life and don't forget to get sandwiches at the box lunch! A stop in Chatham is great and Provincetown is a little wacky but fun.
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viggo, you're more than welcome to PM, email or call me, whatever's more convenient. I'll be in Texas on Sep 13th-15th but should be around on the 10th and 11th should you need any hand-on help BTW, you're welcome to grab the 993 for a ride around Boston with the top down. It's fun

As far as hotels, one quick note. In US double or singles are going for the same price in 99% of cases. So just look at the costs as they are shown on web pages and don't worry about occupancy.

Boston is notoriously difficult city for hotels, but $150-200 should buy you something nice on the weekends for sure. A quick look at booking.com (a site I recommend) shows a few decent choices:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/club...2f6a893c003X23

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/buck...2f6a893c003X29

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/west...2f6a893c003X32

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/doub...2f6a893c003X35 (good hotel but will require a drive into the city, 5-10 minutes or so).

http://www.booking.com/searchresults...set=40;rows=20

Definitely look at TripAdvisor for people's opinions on each hotel and check with us before booking as Boston as there are good and not so good 'hoods to stay here.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, we found a place with $1 oysters that can't be beat. Will divulge on "need to know" basis
Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's more to New England than the Boston area...you gotta hit the road and go see stuff! Boston is simply an airport used to get to Maine!

But seriously, below is a proper "lobster roll" I had at Shaw's Fish & Lobster in New Harbor, ME.

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Or eat this right here in Boston (three minute walk from my place): http://bostonist.com/2008/07/17/bost...r_rollover.php

Warning. This stuff is addictive.

Quick Reply: OT: Need recommendations/tips on September vacation in the vicinity of Boston, MA