Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice 993 RS Sport Seats on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, but the buyer would need to have rocks in there head.
That's just stupid money.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But these still have two motors for height adjustment, right ?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
But these still have two motors for height adjustment, right ?
Nope. Full manual seats sans motors.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Thanks Tim, just took a look at the pictures in the link in the first thread, could have done that before i asked the question
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim. You are 100% correct. My comfort spec 993RS with those exact same optionss and the seats in this thread weighed in at 1330kg. About 60% of the weight benefit of an RS lost to the extra gear....

JPP. I had these seats and I also have the electric versions with heating. The RS version weighs more than 50% of the later. The motors and switches are not that heavy (20lb+ a side). However the RS versions are lighter granted that. No wear near as light as the RS buckets I have installed now which are 25lbs inc slider and side mounts. If I recall my electric/heated HBs are almost 55lbs each. Id say the RS comfort versions must run around 45lbs each....

Cheers
M
Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
JPP. I had these seats and I also have the electric versions with heating. The RS version weighs more than 50% of the later. The motors and switches are not that heavy (20lb+ a side). However the RS versions are lighter granted that. No wear near as light as the RS buckets I have installed now which are 25lbs inc slider and side mounts. If I recall my electric/heated HBs are almost 55lbs each. Id say the RS comfort versions must run around 45lbs each....

Cheers
M
Hi Macca,
Yes, I have owned both (4-way power and RS/GT1 'comfort') and have weighed both and my experience was different.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really can't understand the price tag.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

JJP. You are saying that the HG sport seat for RS is weighing approx 26lbs half of the weight of the non heated electric version (appro 52-54lbs)? The rails are included on the seat as you know. Thats the same weight as my Carbon fibre bucket racing seat with rails or a set of RS bucket seats?

Cheers
M
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

^^ Hi Macca,
My notes from that day say my 4-way seats, rails included, weighed almost 58.5lbs each and the RS seats weighed just under 30lbs each. I was using a scale that I trusted, but you never know. I guess the most important thing is, same scale for each weight so the ratio is there no matter if the weight is accurate or not. That was my experience and I didn't question it, just made me happy because at that point, I was looking for ANY justification for spending that much money on a pair of manual seats ...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi JJP. You may well be right. I can find my notes on this now but we weighed the HB electric heated sports seats on exit from the car at around 56lbs including built in sliders and the new ones at 25lbs including sliders and brackets. In kgs of courrse which I think I have converted correctly. I rebuilt the HB seats repainting the rears and having them recovered in classic grey in 2005. At the time they were stripped down I recall the steeel drames and PU back piece made up the bulk of the weight with the small motors and switch panel being relative light at a guess of around 5lb all up. I never weighed the 993RS comfort HB seats as I never took them out of the car.

Anyway its all academic. They are lighter for sure and your data may be more correct than my suposition.

Either way they are all you need. I miss the heat (makes back fatigue dissapear in long drives) but frankly I found all the electrics in these seats a waste once you set them you forget them and a manual adjusted seat would be just as good. I guess porsche needed to keep up with the other luc manufacturers in thsi regard. Its a shame because by the time of the 997 comfort sports seats with airbags, auto adjusting side bolsters etc they must have started to be around 65lbs+ each. Thats 130lbs all up. In an age of cars egtting heavier I reckon the furniture is killing the nimbleness. Are our asses getting lazier or more saggy as the generations move on?

M
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Are our asses getting lazier or more saggy as the generations move on?
M
Well, a little bit of both, I fear, in my case .. But, I agree with you, once a seat of mine is set up, the motors just collect dustbunnies, same with mirrors. I guess the only thing many people need is the electric height adjustment because these manual seats don't have it, you just bolt 'em down and what you see is what you get like back in the early 911 days. You just get used to it ...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

JPP. Agreed. Good point about the seat height. Never thought of that! I have to adjust them to almost lowest in most cases but agree if your vertically challenged loosing the feature could be an issue.

M
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jack Ennuste
I really can't understand the price tag.
As a data point, I was offered a pair of these a year ago for 75% of the BIN price here, by a different seller. Same spec, color and condition. Looking back there might have been a little headroom in the price, but not a lot. But then these don't seem to come on the market a lot. I didn't pursue it and decided to go in a very different direction instead.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I would love to have these but would miss the heat....the motors not so much.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question is (since the seat frames are identical): Is the weight difference between the standard hardback 4-way seats (58ish lbs) and these manual hardback RS seats (29lbs) only due to the weight of the electric motors and wiring? That's 29lbs of electric motors and wiring per seat. It sounds like a lot to me, but maybe it's true?

Quick Reply: Nice 993 RS Sport Seats on eBay