993 Forum 1995-1998

wiper reversal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:29 AM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiper reversal

I didn't do much of a search on this subject because I'm not really asking a technical question. I just had the windshield wiper reversal done and the improvement is so obvious I can't imagine why they didn't ship the cars from the factory like this in the first place. Visability is so much better now. It's seems like you are sitting about two inches higher and forward in the seat. The car now has more of the feel of what I use to hear years ago about the German driving position- very upright and 'logical'.

Ned
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This mod has been on my list for years, but all the horror stories of adjusting the linkage have dissuaded me...please say it's not as hard as the instructions would indicate
Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 AM
nedsky
Instructor

David, the thing is I didn't do it and didn't even watch the guy who did. He did tell me that it wasn't simple because there's little room to work but wasn't the end of the world either. He said it's important to bring the wipers to the 12 o'clock position which makes it easier to get around in there. This guy is the most mechanically gifted person I ever ran into. There's nothing he can't figure out. I hadn't seen him in three years since I left Charleston for Columbia, SC but I was down there Friday anyway and made it a point to have him give the car the once over and do a few things- the wipers being one of them. Next week I'm going back to have him put on Chris Walrod's bushings and I can ask him to write down any tips on the wiper procedure then if you like. Ned
Old 05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
This mod has been on my list for years, but all the horror stories of adjusting the linkage have dissuaded me...please say it's not as hard as the instructions would indicate
If you don't have long and thin hands, don't bother this will torture.

I made a thread about the mod a short while ago, check that out for more info.

I absolutely love the result though.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I switched the wiper park position on my previous 911/912s, but gave up on the 993. I even had the hood off and left side hood hinge removed, all instruments out, and couldn't do this. I took it to my favorite wrench, but they gave up after two hours.

I'd like to hear the details on how your guy got it done. I bow down in awe of his skills. Has he ever thought of taking up heart surgery as a pastime?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
nedsky
Instructor

The result is good, Quadcammer. It's a startling difference. It's still a mystery to me why didn't they do this in the factory.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 PM
nedsky
Instructor

BobbyT, for both you and David I'll take notes from him while I'm down there with the bushings work to be done.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 707 Likes on 316 Posts

Oliver,

I have thin fingers & hands are medium.

I f you guide me through it I will give it a shot.

Let me know when you are free.

Rich
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nedsky
The result is good, Quadcammer. It's a startling difference. It's still a mystery to me why didn't they do this in the factory.
Can't comment on the factory's thoughts but one hesitation for me is that the wipers parked on the driver side keep the windshield clear longer in the rain because the "parked" blade acts as a dam for water running up the hood or recently wiped by the blade. If you drive through heavy rain often then it may not matter since the cycle time of the wipers would be very short. Here in SoCal, light rain is more normal so the wipers are always on a slow setting. So, as soon as the wipers clear the area in your line of vision, the water immediately runs right back up into your field of vision.

Of course, here in SoCal any rain is rare so I would probably consider this mod further if it was a bit easier to do. Definitely can't argue with the joy of looking out over the hood and seeing the fender bulges and road right in front of you! My '69 has had the wipers removed for years.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I switched the wiper park position on my previous 911/912s, but gave up on the 993. I even had the hood off and left side hood hinge removed, all instruments out, and couldn't do this. I took it to my favorite wrench, but they gave up after two hours.

I'd like to hear the details on how your guy got it done. I bow down in awe of his skills. Has he ever thought of taking up heart surgery as a pastime?
I took off the cabin filter lid and the a/c line retaining plastic piece. That lets you move the lines out of the way a bit.

Loosening the nut was a matter of 1 13mm wrench... then its just semantics.

I'm thinking the nut doesn't even have to be removed all the way, which would make this process much easier.

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Oliver,

I have thin fingers & hands are medium.

I f you guide me through it I will give it a shot.

Let me know when you are free.

Rich
I'm good for this coming weekend. Its not pleasant on the palm, but the pain goes away long before you tire of the new view.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

During the dry season, I popped the relay for the intermittent function. It allows you to park the wipers manually on the other side. But, no intermittent wipers. I just put it back in the other day in preparation for the rain a comin.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've decided to leave the wipers alone, because my wife is shorter than me...

Last edited by Rinty; 05-03-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

I've done this twice now, it's a bit of a pain but doable, about 2 hours and a little patience. Next on the list for my current ride. There's good tips available and a diy with pics on pcar.com IIRC.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

I followed the DIY... it's difficult but I wouldn't call it torture..
Love the results too..
Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
During the dry season, I popped the relay for the intermittent function. It allows you to park the wipers manually on the other side. But, no intermittent wipers. I just put it back in the other day in preparation for the rain a comin.
this scheme works for me also.
but
probably not if i drove in the rain often, then i would miss intermittent capability.

Craig

Quick Reply: wiper reversal