Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The biggest annoyance for me is getting the placement of the lift arm correct back by the oil thermostat so oil doesn't hit it and splatter all over. I had it down pretty well with the Bend-Pak lift but I just changed to a MaxJax and Mike and I changed the oil on his car a couple of weeks ago and I've never spilled as much oil as I did that time. The lift arms on the Bend-Pak come out from the center, the arms on the MaxJax go in from the outside. I'll do better next time.
Bill, I was wondering about this when I bought my Maxjax, after reading about two post lift issues when changing the oil, but after I set it up and put the car on the lift it seems to clear the drain area - but just. I suppose it depends on the distance that you have between the posts - what's yours?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
Bill, I was wondering about this when I bought my Maxjax, after reading about two post lift issues when changing the oil, but after I set it up and put the car on the lift it seems to clear the drain area - but just. I suppose it depends on the distance that you have between the posts - what's yours?
My posts are at 118" , I know they're apx. 2" in from max for a mid size car. I wanted to make sure I could get the door open and get out of the car with the lift in place and I can do that.

The skirts on Mike's '95 are a little different than on my '97 plus his are painted so I was a little cautious about moving them out of the way. Also I've found if I use 2 hockey pucks on the rears it gives me more room to work.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 04-25-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: corrected info
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Adam told me he can do his small filter without removing the tube?

I've not changed the oil in the 993 yet. Another 1500 miles and I'll know.
Ed,

I leave the oil line in place and use a pair of filter pliers on the small filter to remove it, then hand tighten the new filter. No leaks or issues after 3 small filter changes. Do not buy the cheap adjustable filter pliers, you want the smaller name brand ones like Mac or Snap On.

Some may argue that you get more oil out by removing the line, I drain the oil tank hot and raise the front end up while draining, seems to empty the oil cooler if you are patient enough.

Insulated thick rubber gloves are a must if you try to drain it while still hot.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I like to remove the oil line from the engine block because it only takes at the most a minute (I use two long extensions so I actually thread the socket through the wheel spokes all the way inward to undo the 13mm bolt). I then use my trusty 24" monster screwdriver to loosen the oil line. A fair amount of oil comes out, so that is worth the effort in my books....but of course to each his own. The also makes room to unscrew the filter.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

While I have always removed the oil line in the past, I tried removing it without detaching the line yesterday. It works and is simple. A little less room to work in, but it is doable.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have a lift screw jack that I us to hold that corner of the car up on the lift so I can swing the car out of the way. That is for a two post lift, works like a charm and give lots of room for the oil to flow. Can you use on of those?

Cheers,

MIke
Mike, I went searching for one of those for a mid-rise lift and found this. I think it would be perfect. $49 seems like a great solution.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...ctCode=HT52008

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't jack up the car to do an oil change. I just lie down next to the car on an old towel, remove the rocker panel cover, drain the oil tank, and change the filter. Being closer to the floor there is shorter distance to the drain pan, hence less splash. I also drain the engine without jacking the car, using an old pie pan as a deflector to prevent oiling everything in sight. I jack the car only to change the engine oil filter.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I kinda enjoy it...

Andreas
Not only do I take the wheel off, I take the whole right rocker cover off. Gives me a chance to clean it...mmm mmm good!

To take the wheel off, you have to jack the car up, so I always change the little engine filter as well. I don't know why people choose to skip this. I don't take off the return tube (2 more failure points), but maybe every 5th oil change in order to change the O-rings? I have a steel cap wrench like the one posted previously. Sometimes I line parts of it with 400 grit sandpaper to prevent slippage. A 10" - 14" socket extension will allow you to work around the drain tube.

If you do it right, you can time every other annual oil change to coincide with your two-year brake fluid change interval. Again, since the wheel is off, you only got three more wheels to remove for the brake work. Also doing a power steering fluid change while I'm in there. Be sure to let the wife know that you're doing three things at once, so that you're working on the car "less often."
Old 04-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I don't jack up the car to do an oil change. I just lie down next to the car on an old towel, remove the rocker panel cover, drain the oil tank, and change the filter. Being closer to the floor there is shorter distance to the drain pan, hence less splash. I also drain the engine without jacking the car, using an old pie pan as a deflector to prevent oiling everything in sight. I jack the car only to change the engine oil filter.
I use one of these (slightly cut down due to it being a mid-rise lift). Hard to fit under the car unless it's on a lift.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

This is exactly the one I use, it's just mine is taller for the full sized lift.

Cheers,

Mike

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Mike, I went searching for one of those for a mid-rise lift and found this. I think it would be perfect. $49 seems like a great solution.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...ctCode=HT52008
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver993
During my first oil change, I was thinking "a guy REALLY has to want to change his oil in order to get through all the steps required for these cars". Geeez.

Here's the tool I bought to change the engine mounted filter. It worked great and was inexpensive ($6):
from Autozone, it's the 76 mm. diameter oil filter "B" cap wrench with 14 flutes. Part number is 25401.
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
And, a photo;

Did my first 993 oil change today... use of the aove mentioned filter wrench from Autozone was a must. Due to the ride height it took me 40 minutes to jack up the rear passenger side of the car and get it safely on a jack stand to be able to do the work. After that 2 more hours and I was done. I have never spilled so much oil on the concrete while doing an oil change in my life. If oil were blood it would have looked like I mass murdered an entire family... I'll know what to expect next time and know how and where all the oil is going to flow and drip. I managed to change the small filter on the engine without removing the oil tube, and only removing one end of the silicone heat exchanger tube. i took off the end below the filter and pushed it toward the front of the car to get it out of the way. I was able to snake the old filter out and the new filter in without too much trouble. While pushing the filter up toward the mount I did slip and put the tip of my index finger into one of the heat sink fins on that cylinder and cut the tip of my right ring finger pretty good. otherwise all was well.

Nick
Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Warpig
I'll know what to expect next time and know how and where all the oil is going to flow and drip.
It does get easier each time you do it.... but it is still a PITA (IMHO).
Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No need to remove the oil line & dick with the O-rings to access the small filter .... remove the orange, molded silicone air hose, and fit the 14 facet wrench and 12" 3/8 extension to the filter: the filter slides out over the sway bar ...
Old 05-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
And, a photo;

I use this kind also and btw, only removed the oil line on my 1st oil change, after that, I haven't done that as you can "snake" the filter out without removing it.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Great tips! I'm about to attempt my first oil change soon.

Quick Reply: Oil Change