Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change

I am just about finished my first oil change. You have got to be kidding me!!! I can't believe how much stuff has to be removed just for a simple oil change. Glad this is a once a year project. I have done everything except remove the engine oil filter, which my filter puller cannot move. I have to go and get one that will fit in there before I can proceed.

Anyway, main point is - what were they thinking? surely there could have been an access panel to access the oil tank drain and filter instead of having to remove the entire side cover! And all the stuff to get at the engine oil filter?!!?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by jnicol
I have done everything except remove the engine oil filter, which my filter puller cannot move. I have to go and get one that will fit in there before I can proceed.
The Hazet 2169 fits perfectly and is available from a Hazel tool dealer or your local BMW motorcycle dealer.

Mine has 6 holes drilled through it in case a filter becomes stuck in place.

You also need to remove the oil return line to get access. It has two O-rings on it that you would want to replace.

Anyway, main point is - what were they thinking?
I've muttered that to myself many times.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Thanks Alex. Looks like that Hazet tool would do a nice job of it. Got the oil return line off. The problem for me is there isn't enough room to pull the ratchet arm back on my standard oil filter removal tool. I'll see what I can find locally today - no BMW or Hazet dealers locally.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I'll see what I can find locally today - no BMW or Hazet dealers locally.
It looks like a 14 facet hex. Bring your filter along to size fit it. It should be snug.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it gets faster with practice. I remove a few of the liner bolts and peel it back and remove the screws at the end of the side skirt and just pull it partially back; this makes the big oil filter a snap. The small one is a pain, but I only change it every other year.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
it gets faster with practice. I remove a few of the liner bolts and peel it back and remove the screws at the end of the side skirt and just pull it partially back; this makes the big oil filter a snap. The small one is a pain, but I only change it every other year.
Same here. I have it down now. I can knock out an oil change in 2 hours.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that can't believe a simple oil change is this involved. I just did my first oil change 2 weeks ago. Ran into some small complications and this forum helped out. I don't know what I would have done without the help. I agree - what were they thinking?
Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ble2011
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that can't believe a simple oil change is this involved.
Just wait till you change all eight valve cover seals, all twelve spark plugs or an ignition cable set.

I'm just replacing the ignition cables and if I took the usual short cuts, I would have been long finished. But I chose to do a major clean-up and inspection on everything above the engine cooling shroud; yep, all that can be seen are six short intake manifold tubes, tons of hoses and vacuum lines and one spotless engine compartment. Now to put it all together.

BTW, a few low dollar critical items needed replacing that could have caused major grief. Things age with time and heat.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Silver993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

During my first oil change, I was thinking "a guy REALLY has to want to change his oil in order to get through all the steps required for these cars". Geeez.

Here's the tool I bought to change the engine mounted filter. It worked great and was inexpensive ($6):
from Autozone, it's the 76 mm. diameter oil filter "B" cap wrench with 14 flutes. Part number is 25401.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver993
Here's the tool I bought to change the engine mounted filter. It worked great and was inexpensive ($6):
from Autozone, it's the 76 mm. diameter oil filter "B" cap wrench with 14 flutes. Part number is 25401.
And, a photo;

Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Yeah, I found one of these filter removal tools - whatever the brand my local parts store had - and it fit and worked well. About $15. Now the kids have had their dinner and I'll head back out and finish off this project!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Good work, Jim. By the way, the turbos and 4Ss have a little removable hatch for the oil drain plug. A little extra for the few grand more.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I found one of these filter removal tools - whatever the brand my local parts store had - and it fit and worked well.
Just don't torque it on too tight using the tool and ratchet. Manual says 1/2 a turn after seal contact with the seal well oiled. Same sized filter on my BMW motorcycle using that Hazet wrench calls for 11 Nm or 8 lbf.ft.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Thanks for the tips, Alex. Fortunately I have Adrian Streather's Essential Companion which laid out the procedure quite well.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:31 AM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a way guaranteed to make you think changing the oil in your Porsche isn't so bad: Buy a KTM Adventure. It's made in Austria and there must be something in the air in the general vicinity that has made S&M affectionados grow up to be oil systems engineers.

Like Porsche, the KTM has a dry sump engine. My buddy with a Suzuki drains his oil and spins on a new filter. I take off two side shrouds, a center shroud, the crash bars, skidplate and both gas tanks (yes, it has two). Then you've got a couple of places to drain the oil, two screens to remove and clean and an oil filter. Then fill with the recommended Motorex oil at $18 quart.

For some bizarre reason I kind of like doing it and for the most part it is very well engineered and logical. When I got my 993 and started working on it I thought "Hmm, this is kind of familiar".

And when you're done and racing along, also like Porsche, you forget about the oil change that took the whole afternoon.

Quick Reply: Oil Change