Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by utahrock
Buy a KTM Adventure. It's made in Austria and there must be something in the air in the general vicinity that has made S&M aficionados grow up to be...
...seat engineers. Fixed that for you.

Great bike with choice components, but the engineers at KTM obviously don't ride them anywhere. I couldn't see myself sitting on that oak plank for any normal touring day. Plus the range isn't all that great. I was looking at the 640 Adventure some years ago.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I honestly didn't think it was tooo bad, and that includes draining the turbo sumps.

It ain't a small block chevy, but after a few times, its not a biggie.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The biggest annoyance for me is getting the placement of the lift arm correct back by the oil thermostat so oil doesn't hit it and splatter all over. I had it down pretty well with the Bend-Pak lift but I just changed to a MaxJax and Mike and I changed the oil on his car a couple of weeks ago and I've never spilled as much oil as I did that time. The lift arms on the Bend-Pak come out from the center, the arms on the MaxJax go in from the outside. I'll do better next time.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, first time (hmmm...that was over a decade ago) was a bit long, now it can be as short as 1/2 hour if I do both filters. Helps to have a lift, but its not that bad. As was pointed out, there are a lot of procedures which are much worse....and require two elbows.

I have not followed Adrians procedure, I do it my own way. A few shortcuts - you do not have to remove the right rear wheel with the right tools, and the rocker cover can be unscrewed/unbolted and peeled back enough to get at the filter.

Lately, I have been adding some time to each car I do since we go through a oil level calibration procedure, which involves taking that right rear tire off, the fender liner, and taking the guage out of the tank...gotta add at least 15 minutes to the procedure.

Of course, my oil change times often go longer because of all the BS being slung through the shop.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The biggest annoyance for me is getting the placement of the lift arm correct back by the oil thermostat so oil doesn't hit it and splatter all over. I had it down pretty well with the Bend-Pak lift but I just changed to a MaxJax and Mike and I changed the oil on his car a couple of weeks ago and I've never spilled as much oil as I did that time. The lift arms on the Bend-Pak come out from the center, the arms on the MaxJax go in from the outside. I'll do better next time.
I have a lift screw jack that I us to hold that corner of the car up on the lift so I can swing the car out of the way. That is for a two post lift, works like a charm and give lots of room for the oil to flow. Can you use on of those?

Cheers,

MIke
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Lately, I have been adding some time to each car I do since we go through a oil level calibration procedure, which involves taking that right rear tire off, the fender liner, and taking the guage out of the tank...gotta add at least 15 minutes to the procedure.

Cheers,

Mike
Hey Mike.... would you mind discussing this or start a new thread and describe how to do it and the benefits.

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

pretty simple.

You fill the car up with oil to whatever point you want (most NA guys shoot for halfway full at most), and then take the I wanna say 4 bolts out to remove the oil gauge sender and then bend the float arm so that the gauge on the dash matches the dipstick.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
pretty simple.

You fill the car up with oil to whatever point you want (most NA guys shoot for halfway full at most), and then take the I wanna say 4 bolts out to remove the oil gauge sender and then bend the float arm so that the gauge on the dash matches the dipstick.
How about six nuts off the studs that are welded to the tank that hold the gauge plate in? (sorry, could not resist)....
Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

yes, you are correct. I've luckily never done it.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I kinda enjoy it...

Andreas
Old 04-24-2011, 02:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
There is a product called form-a-funnel that seems to be just the ticket for lift use. We haven't tried it yet but I keep meaning to pick one up. Haven't seen it locally, guess we'll need to order it online.
We have our own method to avoid dribbling loil all ovr the lift arm but this looks like it will be much better since it is moldable.

http://www.formafunnel.com/
Old 04-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have a lift screw jack that I us to hold that corner of the car up on the lift so I can swing the car out of the way. That is for a two post lift, works like a charm and give lots of room for the oil to flow. Can you use on of those?

Cheers,

MIke
The MaxJax only goes up about 46" but now that you mention it I could use the Apex (?) jack stand to move that corner out of the way for the initial oil tank dump. I might give that a try next time. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

Originally Posted by MarkD
There is a product called form-a-funnel that seems to be just the ticket for lift use. We haven't tried it yet but I keep meaning to pick one up. Haven't seen it locally, guess we'll need to order it online.
We have our own method to avoid dribbling loil all ovr the lift arm but this looks like it will be much better since it is moldable.

http://www.formafunnel.com/
That looks like just the ticket. I use a piece of 9" x 12" aluminum flashing but it's not very flexible. That formafunnel looks much better.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Hey Mike.... would you mind discussing this or start a new thread and describe how to do it and the benefits.

Thanks.
IIRC there is a thread describing it already. I think VinceR77 posted a pic or 2 of the oil level sending unit out of the tank. Really simple but I think you want to do it with the tank empty. Not positive but if the tank is full you'll make a mess when you that that cover off.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Adam told me he can do his small filter without removing the tube?

I've not changed the oil in the 993 yet. Another 1500 miles and I'll know.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, Im not handy at all, never been. Its unfathomable for me to perform an oil change, I'll gladly pay the money and focus my time on my work. I know how to put gas, check tire pressure and drive it like a pro. I'll let the experts handle the rest. Im fortunate to live near a fabulous independent Porsche shop too.

Quick Reply: Oil Change