993 Forum 1995-1998

Want to replace front speakers (non-hifi) without rewiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Want to replace front speakers (non-hifi) without rewiring

or changing the head unit. I don't really care about some great sound system, but I do want them to be able to play music without buzzing or rattling (like the current speakers). Will something like this be plug and play? Is there such thing as plug and play front/rear speakers? My goal is to be able to install well working speakers that replace the original speakers I have which no longer work that well at all, but maintain OEM look.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R152...brank2%5d2-way
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The size of the front woofer is tough. What I did was use a MB Quartz set w/ crossover. The woofer is a little big but when you remove the door panel you can remove the stapels that hold the vinyl/leather through the hole for the woofer and then cut the "cardboard" panel with a dremel tool and re-attach the vinyl/leather. This allows you to expand the woofer hole size w/out cutting the vinyl.

Personally, I think it's more challenging to get the correct size of tweeter in the housing (I prefer to keep the stock housing) but they do make them.

My crossovers are in the door pocket/armrest with the wires going through a hole hidden by the pocket assy.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:54 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
The size of the front woofer is tough. What I did was use a MB Quartz set w/ crossover. The woofer is a little big but when you remove the door panel you can remove the stapels that hold the vinyl/leather through the hole for the woofer and then cut the "cardboard" panel with a dremel tool and re-attach the vinyl/leather. This allows you to expand the woofer hole size w/out cutting the vinyl.

Personally, I think it's more challenging to get the correct size of tweeter in the housing (I prefer to keep the stock housing) but they do make them.

My crossovers are in the door pocket/armrest with the wires going through a hole hidden by the pocket assy.
Even that was over my head...I know cars pretty well, but I am not a radio guy at all! Will have to do some research on crossovers, etc I was just hoping to unplug the 5.25" speaker that came with the car and plug a new one in!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I went with PolK Audio 6" OD, which worked fine in the door holes (I think that was the size) and 4 X 6" in the rear. I soldered on the rear connectors to match the factory wiring, but the fronts went right in. The tweeters seem to work fine. I've got an aftermarket Sony head unit with decent power-the system sounds as good as anything I've ever had. $220 all told.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

great, thanks Ed!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 PM
dave911rsr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went to Wal Mart and got some Panasonics. Fit great, simple install.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Kent,
Here is what I did. There are some plug-n-play fronts and backs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-speakers.html
Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl2
great, thanks Ed!
No problem-picked them up at Best Buy. I can try and pull models from a receipt this weekend, if you have interest.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No problem-picked them up at Best Buy. I can try and pull models from a receipt this weekend, if you have interest.
Ed, I would appreciate that. I am most interested in what you and Chappy have done because its simple, cost effective and easy to go back to OEM.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 10:09 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I went with the FOCAL 165s for the fronts. Easy fit (very slight trimming of door panel), stock wiring (although I did add Focal crossover), tweeters fit factory tweeter cover. They look very stock and sound great.

Last weekend I added POLK 4x6's to the rear, all under factory grills. Super easy! About 0.5 total. Sound is nice, but most of the bass and depth is coming from the FOCAL door speakers.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl2
Ed, I would appreciate that. I am most interested in what you and Chappy have done because its simple, cost effective and easy to go back to OEM.

Thanks!
Hi Kent:

I put the Polk DB650's in the front. But you know what, I've got an early 95 (M718) which has external speakers in the doors. I'm not sure they'd work for you. They are listed as 6 1/2" speakers. They do sound good, though.

The rears are Polk DB461 which did work under my rear covers, which I think are the same as yours. They also sound really good. This does require a bit of dremel work and soldering on the factory connectors-both really simple procedures-which were documented prior to me doing it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-speakers.html

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Nuff
Racer

This may help.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...many-pics.html
Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM
V
Drifting

You should ask fellow Rler "e9stibi". he did a phenomenal install using MB Quartz replacing the HiFi speaks with the bigger enclosures. I would pay him to do the same for me since I suck at it but I havn't got around to it . Wonderful install IMHO and OEM looking. Just saying..
Old 04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
You should ask fellow Rler "e9stibi". he did a phenomenal install using MB Quartz replacing the HiFi speaks with the bigger enclosures. I would pay him to do the same for me since I suck at it but I havn't got around to it . Wonderful install IMHO and OEM looking. Just saying..
Thanks for the flowers. I just had a nice 3 hour tour on the back country roads of Texas and enjoyed both scenery and the sound system. When you have the right material, it is easier than you think. Just take your time. However, this is clearly the "big" solution but I built it to last because the car is a keeper.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Installed the same Kicker speakers that Chappy did last night in about an hour and the difference in sound is amazing. The OEM speakers basically fell apart in my hands. Will install the Alpines in the rear deck this weekend! So far so good!

Quick Reply: Want to replace front speakers (non-hifi) without rewiring