Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 turbo vs 993C2 with Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

What do the TT's feel like with the front diff disconnected?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2c after installing a Protomotive TT kit, then uninstalling it is this: enjoy your car as-is, because HP is overrated. I don't miss the power at all, since 280 hp is plenty for a 3,000 lb car.

But if you can't resist, then sell your car and buy a factory TT unless you've sunk a ton $$$ into your car and you never plan to sell it. If you really have to mod yours, then a s/c engine is great fun on the streets (currently driving a '10 S4, supercharged) but TT is better for the track.

If you don't heed this advice, trust me, you'll regret it.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
I'll speak to my mechanic about it. I just don't want to dump more money into my car and then have it be difficult, dangerous, or awkward to drive. Right now my lil' ol' NB is a blast to drive - just could use some more juice.
what mods do you currently have now?
anything you could remove and stick on a turbo car?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to the good guys at Turbo Kraft.

Summary of build:
http://www.turbokraft.com/gallery/v/Mike/

Current FS listing by owner:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_1575wt_728

When I inquired it was about $30,000 for a turbo build and $20,000 for a full 3.8 build.

The 993tt is a lot better financially IMHO.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

ask mark dipietro of FD motorsports
Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I just went through this for a couple years - ended up supercharging mine and I'm glad I did - search for my thread on the process. Its just my opinion but one that comes from at least the experience of trying most of the options.

If you do the math, selling yours and buying a low mileage turbo without much mods, will cost a LOT. Ours (even the widebody cars) have devalued more in the past 5 years and more than the turbo. I think narrow body is even more of a gap. Even with the cost of supercharging/intercooler and install I was further ahead then selling and getting back into the highest preserved (price wise) 993 car. I already had my car where I wanted it, and knew the history and condition and loved it, just needed more power. The whole resale thing is a just dogma in my opinion. At this stage of these cars lives, resale is falling fast (maybe a bit slower for SOME models and those with very low mileage, original condition). I think we need to get over that fact, they are in the fast fall time of their history. Do what makes you happy and don't try to predict 3-5 years out. If you know you are keeping your car that long, just mod it.

Chances are it will be worth near 10K less than its worth right now just doing nothing to it in that time anyway. As car enthusiasts, some of whom have even bought new P-cars, or sports cars, even SUV's at one time, having them lose 30-40K value is not a surprise after a few years ownership. I don't know why we have such a different perspective when talking about a used car and 5-10k difference. We all know they are blue chip, but that is the driving experience, not the investment side of things.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

clib,
Thanks for the response. How much did the charger and intercooler run you, if I might be so bold as to ask? Did you also have to do anything with the clutch? And last, is there dangerous power now, or just really, really good power?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Augustus Davies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
Ever consider shorter gear ratios? Ask Steve Weiner...

You can read more here: http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1.html
Rather than change transmission gears why not install a taller ring and pinion?

Last edited by Augustus Davies; 04-23-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
that wouldn't change some of the goofy gaps in the tranny ratios.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
ask mark dipietro of FD motorsports
wonderful, in my opinion. I really like the 2wd steering feel on the 993 turbo. I'd imagine (have to, haven't driven one!) it feels similar to the 993 GT2

With the extra HP in the turbo cars, you get a torque steer feel to the handling that I didn't care for. All a matter of personal preference, of course.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustus Davies
That won't solve the gearing problem. The annoying gearing gaps will remain and will simply be moved around.

To the OP, with VRAM, RS gearbox, and LWF my 993 feels pretty darn fast. Comparable in sum to the E46 M3 I own.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Selo

There are quite a few threads over the past few years discussing this topic. I am sure there is a lot of good information that you can benefit from to make up your mind.

The only two choices I would seriously consider would be as follows:

1- Sell your Carrera and buy a 993TT. If cost is an issue, a 100% stock high mileage one with decent compression, and do a top end refresh for valves, seats, guides and springs + check P&C and ring gaps.
2- Sell your engine and buy a stock 993TT engine. Not easy to come buy but you can find them if you are patient, I just bought one last week. The price differential would be worth it.

The N/A engine is just not designed for turbocharging, compression, cylinders, pistons and head design, they are all not well suitable for the compression and heat of a turbocharged engine.

As to the 2WD conversion, steering feel is excellent and response is much more predictable than a 4WD system on the track. I do enjoy driving a 4WD TT still, however it is noticeably less responsive.

I would not change gearing, the impact is mainly noticeable when you accelerate within a certain gear, not when going through the gears. If someone has measured data as to how much shorter gearing impact a 0-200kp run I would love to see it
Old 04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
amar101
6th Gear

Good One !!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by 600RR
Talk to the good guys at Turbo Kraft.

Summary of build:
http://www.turbokraft.com/gallery/v/Mike/

Current FS listing by owner:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_1575wt_728
I remember drooling on that issue of Excellence. Just awesome.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

If you are the type who always want to mod, then mod your current car. And only do that if you are really into it.

If you get the turbo, I'd leave it alone. These are becoming classics. Modding it definitely won't do you any good in resale. Try to imagine a modded Jag Etype or modded Dino. At some point, an original car is more desirable than a modified one. I think 993TT is hitting that spot soon, if not already. People are paying stupid money on these now.

Quick Reply: 993 turbo vs 993C2 with Turbo