Sponsored by:

993 turbo vs 993C2 with Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 993 turbo vs 993C2 with Turbo

Disregarding resale value, which of these would you rather have? If i sell my 993 C2, taking into account losses on the mods and the higher cost of upgrading to similarly low-miled 993 Turbo, I'd be in pretty deep.
I could add a TPC charger, or the other turbo, I think Protometric, for much less I'm sure. And still maintain the RWD driving characteristics.
Which one sounds like more fun to drive?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, am not familiar with tuning laws in your neck of the woods. I know that over here on this side of the pond, you are not allowed to gain more than 30hp over the manufacturer's stated hp.

Assuming that you can, and have no difficulty with your motor vehicle authorities, I could imagine that, based on how much hp you add with the turbocharger, driving the 2wd 993 could be tricky. I know someone over here who did the same thing, with a Ruf turbo, and the mechanic told me the car is dangerous to drive. In any case, you should not forget a big reds brake upgrade as well...

Maybe someone on this forum has done it, however, and can give you a better opinion.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Don't kid yourself. By the time you're done modifying your car you would spend as much as if you bought a factory turbo. And when the time comes to sell it you'll be taking a bath big time, not to mention that a lot of potential buyers will be put off by the upgrades.

Fun to drive depends on what you want out of the car so that answer is very subjective. If you want RWD characteristics as you said, you can still buy a factory turbo and take the front diff off. You can put it back on if you want to later. It's not that difficult to do. Best of luck!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
First off, am not familiar with tuning laws in your neck of the woods. I know that over here on this side of the pond, you are not allowed to gain more than 30hp over the manufacturer's stated hp.
Man, that's one tough law, glad we don't have it here!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotta agree with Ilko, I think you'll be better off with a TT. Even if you're prepared to take a financial hit when you sell, the TT will find a bench of buyers at the right price but the heavily modded C2 will be a tough sell.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, provides liquidity and return-on-dollar better than a factory car.

I'm about 1/2 way into a parts accumulation to do a turbo on my C4S. But that's me doing 100% of the work. (OK, my cousin who built the 910 will probably bail me out on making the headers since I'm a mediocre welder at best.) My car is fully depreciated, and I don't kid myself at all that it would be sold down the road for about parts value.

(I don't get at all the RWD/AWD concerns with a 993 of any aspiration on the street in dry conditions. Absent someone getting in completely over his head, or being a plain dumbass, who drives on the street to the extent that there will be torque moved forward on acceleration to help traction? It's been tough for me to do it in the snow this winter, albeit without a forced induction engine.)
Old 04-21-2011, 03:43 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think if future resale value plays a big role in the ownership of your car; then
a TT is a better bet. The other guys hit the nail on the head with their responses..

But.....if you're strictly interested in a fun project car, one that you build, tinker
with, and tune ~ I'd boost the hell out of the NB and call it a day. The satisfaction
of building a car like this would be enough to forget the resale thing all together..

Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

buy the turbo. you will be up money.

also, turbo is very fun to drive. Rear wheel drive is over rated.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I understand your situation. You want more power, but you are too deep in mods on the current car already. Which makes buying a TT even more expensive as you have to do the mods all over again.

I was in your shoes about two years ago. I decided to mod the hell out of my car and call it my own. I guess if you can honestly say that you don't care about resale value and you can justify the expenditure for the pure enjoyment, then don't let other opinions influence your decision. IMHO Just Do It and don't forget to post pics

Last edited by tjangi; 04-22-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:05 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll speak to my mechanic about it. I just don't want to dump more money into my car and then have it be difficult, dangerous, or awkward to drive. Right now my lil' ol' NB is a blast to drive - just could use some more juice.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Looks like you are willing to drop some serious money. What about some NA mods, like a 3.8 upgrade?

Whatever you do, make sure you post a lot of pictures!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever consider shorter gear ratios? Ask Steve Weiner...

You can read more here: http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1.html
Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

I'll speak to my mechanic about it. I just don't want to dump more money into my car and then have it be difficult, dangerous, or awkward to drive. Right now my lil' ol' NB is a blast to drive - just could use some more juice.
There are many mods that can make your car feel zippier (weight loss, LWF, re-gear) without going hardcore with the engine. "Messing" with the engine could lead to reduced reliability.

But then again, nothing beats that feeling of torque...
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
I know that over here on this side of the pond, you are not allowed to gain more than 30hp over the manufacturer's stated hp.
On this side of the pond in the land of the free, owners do pretty well what they want to without regard to the safety of others on the road at times.

Jacked up four-wheelers a-la monster truck with tires extending far beyond the fenders (thanks for that rock chip, a$$hole) comes to mind amongst many other unproven/untested mods.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Disregarding resale value, which of these would you rather have? If i sell my 993 C2, taking into account losses on the mods and the higher cost of upgrading to similarly low-miled 993 Turbo, I'd be in pretty deep.
I could add a TPC charger, or the other turbo, I think Protometric, for much less I'm sure. And still maintain the RWD driving characteristics.
Which one sounds like more fun to drive?
buy a turbo, drive it
perform AWDectomy, drive it
have fun

reverse AWDectomy
have fun

i think a conversion would cost ~ 90% of what a turbo will cost as compared with your car + parts

Quick Reply: 993 turbo vs 993C2 with Turbo