Sponsored by:

Beautiful 993 Turbo for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

You are missing the entire point. He's not supposed to post ads here, period. Besides that, a see giant red flags about the whole situation. That much and that detail a knowledge about someone else's car? Who's not capable to post an add for himself? And that price.

This is not a For Sale forum. This is a 993 _discussion_ forum. If he becomes a member and posts in For Sale section, GLWS would be my only though (not that I would care).
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
You are missing the entire point. He's not supposed to post ads here, period. Besides that, a see giant red flags about the whole situation. That much and that detail a knowledge about someone else's car? Who's not capable to post an add for himself? And that price.

This is not a For Sale forum. This is a 993 _discussion_ forum. If he becomes a member and posts in For Sale section, GLWS would be my only though (not that I would care).
Ah, it hadn't occurred to me that this wasn't the forum for FS ads. Indeed, a faux pas on his part.

Nonetheless, everything else here is his own business. If he claims to be intimately familiar with somebody else's car, who are we to jump in and call shenanigans? And - as we have seen time and time again in the last few months on these boards - people can ask what they want for these cars, the market will decide. But I don't think it's appropriate for this community to jump on a new poster who came respectfully to advertise a nice car. If you are suspicious, that's your right, but I don't see why people have immediately turned so hostile. I was greeted much more nicely here when I did the same thing (one of my first posts was a FS ad in the wrong forum before I was a paying member...nobody crucified me, but rather, they kindly pointed out what I had done wrong and I corrected it...I see no reason not to treat this guy in kind, rather than taking shots at his character and the features and pricing of his car).
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

She is a pretty car, no mistake about that. Clean.

81K asking for a 45k mile car however will see dust collect around it..... 15k high...

The interior color is fun and the rear seat delete is cool.

Lack of turbo badge sucks.

Please remove the black stripe and front license plate. It is an abortion.

Where is the stock front bumper?

I would love to have this car.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
She is a pretty car, no mistake about that. Clean.

81K asking for a 45k mile car however will see dust collect around it..... 15k high...
Where is the stock front bumper?
It might be a little high....but not $15K too high. With a clean PPI, that would be a steal at $66K.

The stock bumper is right there. That has the Turbo S chin spoiler mounted just below it. Very nice. Just like mine.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by asofine
If he claims to be intimately familiar with somebody else's car, who are we to jump in and call shenanigans? But I don't think it's appropriate for this community to jump on a new poster who came respectfully to advertise a nice car.
First off, "helping a friend sell a car" is often code for: I'm a used car dealer. Or worse. There's a chance he could be telling the truth, but there's an equal chance he's a liar. He could be as crooked as the front license plate on that car. We don't know.

Secondly, one is not allowed to sell without being a member. So he may be a shady liar who thinks the rules don't apply to him. We don't know.

Third, I guess if he was a member he could have his very first post be a for sale ad for an $80K car, but, to paraphrase someone else here, that's like walking into a bar you've never been to, and shouting to everyone that you'd like to get laid. Sure, you can do it, but it shows a lack of grace.

Finally, even if you are a shady used car dealer who doesn't care to know the rules around here and thinks we're only here so he can hawk his wares, it'd be nice if he didn't insult the collective intelligence of the board and over price his "friend's car" by 10%-20% more than it should be priced.

I hope this helps clarify why there might be a little less than enthusiastic welcome for our new friend and "his" car.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
First off, "helping a friend sell a car" is often code for: I'm a used car dealer. Or worse. There's a chance he could be telling the truth, but there's an equal chance he's a liar. He could be as crooked as the front license plate on that car. We don't know.

Secondly, one is not allowed to sell without being a member. So he may be a shady liar who thinks the rules don't apply to him. We don't know.

Third, I guess if he was a member he could have his very first post be a for sale ad for an $80K car, but, to paraphrase someone else here, that's like walking into a bar you've never been to, and shouting to everyone that you'd like to get laid. Sure, you can do it, but it shows a lack of grace.

Finally, even if you are a shady used car dealer who doesn't care to know the rules around here and thinks we're only here so he can hawk his wares, it'd be nice if he didn't insult the collective intelligence of the board and over price his "friend's car" by 10%-20% more than it should be priced.

I hope this helps clarify why there might be a little less than enthusiastic welcome for our new friend and "his" car.
Listen, I hear you, and I don't entirely disagree with a lot of what you have to say.

A few quick points here, and I'll have said my piece.

1 - Whether the car is his "friend's" or his client's is purely a matter of conjecture on our part. It's pointless to debate this back and forth. My point is that it is not particularly hospitable for a kindly positioned post by the OP to be replied to with hostile suspicion (suspicion is fine, in fact healthy, but there's no reason to be hostile about it).

2 - The poster IMMEDIATELY apologized when it was pointed out that his post didn't meet forum rules (as he was not a paying member) and he IMMEDIATELY offered to pay for membership. I think it's absurdly knee-jerk to think of him as a guy who "doesn't think the rules apply to him."

3 - With regards to the "walking into a bar and screaming "I WANT TO GET LAID,"" I actually remember seeing that post a while back and laughing. IIRC, though, that particular FS ad contained little pertinent info about the car, it was not particularly tactfully worded and screamed of naiveté. The OP, on the other hand, was informative, polite and he seems to (at minimum) be reasonably knowledgable about the car he is advertising. With regards to the asking price, IMHO we have seen ads with FAR more ludicrous prices (relative to "conventional" prices for said vehicles) in the last several months. I think that most of us agree that $81k is a very high figure for this car, but it is not "rude" for him to list that as his asking price - it is his right.

I don't want to get into a heated argument with you (I'm trying to keep it respectful ), I'm merely saying that I think we could all be a little more tactful in expressing our skepticism towards this post, rather than jumping on the guy like he killed Christ. He was respectful, informative, and tactful. I think we owe him the same in return.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

These arguments appear time and time again. Basic rule of thumb as I see things. If its posted in the 'Discussion' forum its fair game (within reason) for any commentary. If its in the FS section, then completely inappropriate to discuss and pass judgements.

A significant proportion of this forums running costs comes from paid membership. So I think its fair to expect sellers to pony up and pay the very reasonable $17 fee.

This is a great resource for the P-car community, but only because some basic rules and posting etiquette is adhered to. Circumventing the written and unwritten rules for whatever reason is uncool and its not out of line to remind 'newbies' of these facts.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asofine
If he claims to be intimately familiar with somebody else's car, who are we to jump in and call shenanigans?
Ummmm... "adults"?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
A significant proportion of this forums running costs comes from paid membership.
Not true.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Ummmm... "adults"?
Here's an example that may give you pause. I recently helped my friend purchase an '05 Nissan 350z. He's by no means oblivious when it comes to cars, but he's not particularly technical, either. He's also not particularly web-savvy. He's actually considering trading up to another z, already, though. If he decides to go ahead and sell the car, I will likely be taking care of the online ads for him. If I end up signing up to z forums to advertise his car, I sure hope I'm greeted more respectfully than we have greeted the OP.

And with that, I am done posting in this thread.

To the OP: GLWS, and check your PM inbox!
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Basic rule of thumb is that those who contribute and have done so for a while (no, I'm not talking about myself here) decide what's right and what's wrong on this forum. It is our forum. Collectively. We 9and I use it in widest sense) don't like shadiness of any shade (pun intended). Goofball described it pretty accurately.

Oh, and we've seen it before. And we'll see it again. The key word is "contribute". Contribute enough and one gets the pass to advertise anything, including stripped muffler bolt from the left side of the car. nobody would blink an eye. Light friendly ribbing would ensue, of course. Don't contribute, come here purely to advertise... you'll see what happens.

And that's quite normal.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Not true.
That depends on your interpretation of 'significant'. I'm sure the forum won't disappear suddenly if no one paid their 'dues', but I think if they didn't this would be a poorer experience for the user. Just look at the number of ads on some sites like 6speed. Its hard to follow the threads for all the distracting ad boxes.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

30,000 miles on first set of tires - that's got to be a record or something
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Basic rule of thumb is that those who contribute and have done so for a while (no, I'm not talking about myself here) decide what's right and what's wrong on this forum. It is our forum. .
You know, I had promised that I would "sign out" of this thread, but this post jarred me so much that I just had to reply. To posit that a discussion forum ought to be appropriated and "belong" to its most frequent posters is to fundamentally misunderstand what a discussion forum is. And while I may be a "n00b" here, I have been a member of a few online forums for several years and have accumulated thousands of posts in a handful of them (so it is not from a position of ignorance that I am saying this). Yes, a certain camaraderie is shared by longtime posters on a forum. And yes, certain norms, etiquette, and rules are typically shaped by the forums most active and tenured members. But at the end of the day, all of that stuff amounts to dick. A new member is no less entitled to an opinion or a post than this forum's most "esteemed" (in your books) members. Again, the driving force of a discussion forum is its opennness for users (new and old) to contribute and participate. I hear what you are saying insofar as tenured membres seemingly earning a "pass" to do certain things, but (I'll say this again) to contend that a new member has less of a right to list his 993TT for sale than you might to list a random part from your car is not just offensive, it indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the concept of an online forum and community. New members shouldn't need to "earn their stripes" by putting in time or upping their post count, they should be evaluated by their "contributions" at face value, whether it is post #1 or post # 10,000. Again, in this case, the OP was polite, tactful, and informative. You are skeptical of his relation to the buyer. That is your right. But you are in no position to brazenly attack him or his car, and the fact that you have pressed the "submit reply" button thousands of times does not change that. In reality, I think you (and a few others) are merely irked that a "new guy" is being so bold as to ask $81k for his beautiful car. I bet if this car had been advertised for $65k, all of your (and some of these other poster's) beef with the OP would not have come to the surface. So, really, I suspect your beef is that a new poster was so bold as to list an ASKING price for a car that was too aggressive for your liking. Tough stuff, it doesn't mean you have the authority as a "tenured" member to treat him (or anybody on this forum, for that matter) with disrespect. Moreover, this board does not "belong" to its tenured members. About the only group that this forum "belongs" to is Porsche owners and/or fanatics (regardless of whether they have posted here for 5 minutes or 5 years).
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I wanna post in this thread before it gets locked.

Quick Reply: Beautiful 993 Turbo for sale