How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Ferrari and Love the 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover

Rock-- Greetings from CO; been to UT many times & always found it beautiful.
I'm still a hack at climbing, though. I've rappeled off cliffs & from a helicopter, plus jumped out of planes, but that's been a couple years. However, just yesterday I was on the zip lines, etc., of a college ropes course, 70' foot vertical obstacles, climbing wall & all. As far as I know, I may have used some of your products.
Originally Posted by utahrock

Very cool. You probably did use some of the gear we make.

We use a forging company that makes a lot of Ferrari parts. I tired to talk them into saving just one part for me from every run so I could eventually put a whole car together. Sadly, they weren't up to the task.
Nothing to lose; you had to ask ^^

So if you, or any other Rennlister ever need some personal gear, contact me directly and we'll give you the special Porsche owners discount.
You rock! LOL

Being in the outdoor industry, just don't tell my Green friends I didn't buy a Prius!
Rock-- In some sailplanes I've flown, they crammed retractable prop engines in ... sneaky.
However, your other ride more than qualifies for low-carbon emissions, unless you hid a Mooney Porsche engine in it:

Last edited by curve lover; 04-18-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: fatt phingerz
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"So if you, or any other Rennlister ever need some personal gear, contact me directly and we'll give you the special Porsche owners discount. Being in the outdoor industry, just don't tell my Green friends I didn't buy a Prius!"

I have this conversation often with my wife who is a tree hugging vegan environmentalist, LOL...I tell her all the time, there is nothing more "green" than recycling a used car.

loving the Red Turbo, IMO the best color for a turbo.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:03 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool. ..
Care to post a couple pics of the D90 as well? Love those things
Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Honestly, If you want to constantly pick a fight with a bunch of Porsche lovers, trying to convince them a Ferrari or some other car is more visually pleasing, or more fun to drive, or for the 1%'ers. Go for it, it's your time your wasting.
Ain't that the truth. I'll just continue to enjoy both my 993 and 360 and know how great they both are. But I get a kick out of seeing the Ferrari-envy, disguised as bashing, surface by most 993 owners.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Spidey 993

Dream on brother, its free. Unlike that maintenance on your 360 ripping a massive hole in your wallet. Nothing about that I envy my friend.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard! Did you buy the Andial 3.8 turbo in California!? Not too many Guards Red 993 turbos with sunroof delete.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dream on brother, its free. Unlike that maintenance on your 360 ripping a massive hole in your wallet. Nothing about that I envy my friend.
You know, some people just don't care too much about maintenance costs involved with the ownership experience. Doesn't make it right, nor wrong.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
You know, some people just don't care too much about maintenance costs involved with the ownership experience. Doesn't make it right, nor wrong.
This is true, and as I've stated in many previous posts regarding maintenance costs, my 360 is indeed more expensive to maintain than my 993. There's no question about that. However, it really hasn't been that much more to maintain, i.e. it hasn't "ripped a massive hole in my wallet" . My 993 is a 97 with 41,000 miles and the 360 is a 99 with 44,000 miles. The 360 (and all my previous Ferraris) has been just as trouble free and reliable as any 911 I've owned.

They are both wonderful cars.

Cheers.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
This is true, and as I've stated in many previous posts regarding maintenance costs, my 360 is indeed more expensive to maintain than my 993. There's no question about that. However, it really hasn't been that much more to maintain, i.e. it hasn't "ripped a massive hole in my wallet" . My 993 is a 97 with 41,000 miles and the 360 is a 99 with 44,000 miles. The 360 (and all my previous Ferraris) has been just as trouble free and reliable as any 911 I've owned.

Cheers.
Tjeff seems to have trouble accepting that other cars may match the 993 in their appearance and enjoyment.

Everything I've heard about the 360s is that aside from a few gotchas (variators and such), they are not terrible with reliability. however, the cracking manifolds seem to becoming more prevalent.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

I subscribed just to see where this goes. I would love to find a 993 Turbo in time to drive on Earth Day, but it probably won't happen. I'll just drive the old German V8 ('87 MB 560SL) to celebrate instead. Great thread. I predict this one will run for a couple of years at least.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Spidey 993

Hey Ferrari lovers, not my fault you can't afford a Lamborghini.

I don't give a damn about his 360, or his high service costs, or the fact Quadcammer is in the Ferrari closet or can't afford one. I'm on a Porsche loving, 993 board and
for anyone to thing because Im on this board I am envious of Ferrari owners, is complete asinine. That's some back-*** thinking.

I think I'll join the Chevy board, because I'm really a Ford lover.

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
No HTwo O, he started with the envy BS, I'll play too.

Originally Posted by David993S

Cheers.
I read your post, I also read Robin Sun's input, and I believe him when he calls your and his car "a piece of ****". I also believe your one trip to 7-eleven away from a complete over-haul.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Tjeff seems to have trouble accepting that other cars may match the 993 in their appearance and enjoyment.

Everything I've heard about the 360s is that aside from a few gotchas (variators and such), they are not terrible with reliability. however, the cracking manifolds seem to becoming more prevalent.
There are alot of cars I love besides a 993, not more than a 993. Is it really that hard to believe that I don't put a Ferrari on the same pedestal as you? It's a sweet car, and so is Vette. I would love to own both of them, but only if a 993 is in the garage first.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

OP, based on your avatar, you've gotta a really nice ***. And I normally don't say that to another man. Welcome to the club and happy to hear you are enjoying the miles. The 993 TT is the pinnacle of air-cooled P-cars, IMO. It is destined to be a classic. But...

Old 04-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Hey Ferrari lovers, not my fault you can't afford a Lamborghini.

I don't give a damn about his 360, or his high service costs, or the fact Quadcammer is in the Ferrari closet or can't afford one.

There are alot of cars I love besides a 993, not more than a 993. Is it really that hard to believe that I don't put a Ferrari on the same pedestal as you? It's a sweet car, and so is Vette. I would love to own both of them, but only if a 993 is in the garage first.
Why even get started with this "can't afford it" stuff. You have no clue what I or anyone else can afford. Given that a decent 360 is $80k or less, its far from unaffordable for the average 993TT owner.

You seem to have a real bug up your *** about ferrari and I'm not sure why.

you don't have to like them, but you should at least respect another high line brand that produces some stunning vehicles.

I know you think that the 993 is the ultimate vehicle ever produced and thats fine. But to call ferraris POS with no experience and more then evident bias is just silly.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Unsubscribed. All this bitching and posturing is too tiresome.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Spidey 993

Quadcammer, you asked to stop the bickering so the thread wouldn't be ruined.

I stopped. You didn't. You continued to post at me directly, even after your proposed truce.

What do you want to do now, ask for another truce and then write smack about me?

If you keep writing crap about me, it will just come back at you. If you want to call another truce, this time stick to it.

Last edited by Spidey 993; 04-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Ferrari and Love the 993