Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Snap-on screwdrivers - which handles do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snap-on screwdrivers - which handles do you prefer?

Since this forum continues to be such a wealth of information, I was wondering if you experienced wrenchers would care to share your preference for handles on Snap-on screwdrivers since I am in the market to buy a set.

Specifically, do you prefer the soft or hard handles? If you like the hard handles, do you prefer the newer "instinct" handles or the old hard handles? What is the basis for your preference?

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have both the soft handles and the older hard handles. Unless you are wrenching every day (ergonomics), I'd go with the hard handles personally. The reason is they clean up much easier and they still provide a great grip for torque. Wipe them off and you are done. The soft handles get.....greasy after awhile and while you can scrub them, rinse them with brake clean or dawn, they can be a pain to keep clean. If you hands are dirty and you pick up the screwdriver....the handle just absorbs that crud. If I need a screw driver in the house, I avoid my soft handles as I know when I pick them up, they are going to leave ever so slight residue on my hands. Next thing you know you have dirty finger prints everywhere.

With that being said, using everyday, those soft handles sure are nice to use.

I haven't used the new instinct handles yet, but will check them out next time I am on the truck.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Thank you Doc.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a little picture to explain it. I grabbed a screwdriver off my rack that I had just wiped down with a rag when I put it away. Not exactly clean looking.

And after scrubbing for about 5 minutes in the sink while my wife wasn't looking.....A little better, good enough to not leave any residue when using, but still grungy looking.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Doc,

Point taken. I just checked out some of the odds and sods of screwdrivers in my tool box and found the same thing - soft handle was soiled/dirty, ancient hard handle was a clean as the day I bought it. Funny how you don't notice these things...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree completely...

My first thought was the same, the hard handles are much easier to keep clean.
We just bought a set of these for the shop.

I like the feel but they do get (and stay) dirty quickly
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll echo the above. I have a full set of the comfort grip soft handles. I love them when they're clean but working anywhere where there's grease, dirt and they start looking like the pics above. It's too bad, they really are easier on my hands...
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Although I know their blades can be changed out, I do not have Snap-On's regular line of screwdrivers.

I like screwdrivers that use bits, so I do have their SSDMR4B standard length and SSDMR1A stubby ratcheting screwdrivers.

They take up less room (you only need a couple of handles) and you can get every bit under the sun which fit nicely into a bit holder...

Their only downside is due to the thicker shank; you cannot get into a screw that sits in a deep well. I have the odd long shank bit for those situations.

The handles offer very good grip.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the older hard handles. They do provide a pretty good amount of grip and are much easier to keep clean. However, if you don't stay on top of it, the grain of the plastic can get some crud build up in the crevices. I don't believe they are available new from the dealer any longer. I inquired recently as a couple of mine were stolen from my work truck and he said he couldn't get them any more.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
bart1
Race Car

Note that you can get Williams hard handle screwdrivers much cheaper that are presumably exactly the same as the old SO hard handles.

Great tool discussion on garagejournal.com

I like my Hazet screwdrivers - this is just friction fit, no magnet.

Name:  P1010430.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
I like my Hazet screwdrivers - this is just friction fit, no magnet.
Bart, can you do that with just the single vertical screwdriver hanging from it?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the hard handles like above ^^^^ but they are very hard to find nowadays.
The best part about them is how indesructable they are, they are made of the hardest plastic known to man !!! drop them, handle down, on concrete and they will bounce back up ( almost )
If you can get the hard set , I would buy them
Old 04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Bart, can you do that with just the single vertical screwdriver hanging from it?
Yes, it's mush easier. The second just adds to the weight. I have it fairly balanced.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
Yes, it's mush easier. The second just adds to the weight. I have it fairly balanced.
Actually, the weight of the handle of the second screwdriver add a twisting moment which helps the tip stay in the screw.

But I realize a good fit/shape of the tip is important, and quality screwdrivers offer that.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by arcteryxbird
I also have the hard handles like above ^^^^ but they are very hard to find nowadays.
The best part about them is how indesructable they are, they are made of the hardest plastic known to man !!! drop them, handle down, on concrete and they will bounce back up ( almost )
If you can get the hard set , I would buy them
http://www.amazon.com/WILLIAMS-PREMI...2272658&sr=1-1

Quick Reply: Snap-on screwdrivers - which handles do you prefer?