Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Snap-on screwdrivers - which handles do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Actually, the weight of the handle of the second screwdriver add a twisting moment which helps the tip stay in the screw.

But I realize a good fit/shape of the tip is important, and quality screwdrivers offer that.

Trust me, just one was easier. That's why I said I had it balanced - little twisting added.

Hazet screwdrivers are made by Witte, btw.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So what's the difference between the Williams and the Snap-on screwdriver?

I am also looking to buy a set of Snap-on. Somehow I have ONE Snap-On phillips screwdriver with the hard black handle in my toolbox. It is the BEST screwdriver ever!!! Doesn't slip, never strip a screw, and showed no sign of wear of all the years I have it.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
It is the BEST screwdriver ever!!!
And when you get down to it, the best "slotted" of "flat" screwdrivers aren't even correctly shaped.

The slots in screws are parallel. Almost every single screwdriver tip is a wedge. Go figure!

I prefer the tips or bits that are ground parallel; the bits almost always are.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Snap On tools are very addictive. The Snap On salesman comes to the shop every Thursday and like all good crack dealers shows me his specials and sits back and watches me drool and go thru withdrawels.......man I LOVE GOOD TOOLS!
After using our Snap On ratchets, the old Craftsmen ones really feel like garbage...seriously no comparison.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Snap On tools are very addictive. The Snap On salesman comes to the shop every Thursday and like all good crack dealers shows me his specials and sits back and watches me drool and go thru withdrawels.......man I LOVE GOOD TOOLS!
After using our Snap On ratchets, the old Craftsmen ones really feel like garbage...seriously no comparison.
If you haven't tried these yet, I highly recommend the tilt head ratchets......Best snap on ratchets I have used. I probably use the 1/4" the most.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
So what's the difference between the Williams and the Snap-on screwdriver?
I think only the name on the handle.

And when you get down to it, the best "slotted" of "flat" screwdrivers aren't even correctly shaped.

The slots in screws are parallel. Almost every single screwdriver tip is a wedge. Go figure!

I prefer the tips or bits that are ground parallel; the bits almost always are.
As you likely know, you want Swiss standard tips. PB Swiss is a great brand for that, or the Hazet 800 series.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bart, now I know where to buy replacements ! Great price as well , could they be produced by the same company? They look identical...

+ 1 Doc, those ratchets save skin ! worth every penny
Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
If you haven't tried these yet, I highly recommend the tilt head ratchets......Best snap on ratchets I have used. I probably use the 1/4" the most.
Yes, I've seen those. I may need to pick up a couple of them.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After using our Snap On ratchets, the old Crapsmen ones really feel like garbage...seriously no comparison.
Fixed it for ya.

I'm with Bart - love Hazet and Stahlwille tools. Facom (France) makes wonderful sockets/ratchets.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

And the difference in operation is in the ratchet action.

I still have the 3/8" drive Snap-On ratchet I bought in 1974. The mechanism has been replaced once some time ago. As it is my only ratchet (other than my 1/4" drive), I chose to go with the model with fewer teeth for longer life and more torque capability.

My tools have been one of the only things I never sold when times were tough.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

After 30+ yrs. the only Snap On screwdrivers I have left. All the others walked off in the night. And I bought this set used from the Snap On driver.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JM993
Fixed it for ya.

Joe
Thanks Joe!

And the difference in operation is in the ratchet action.

I still have the 3/8" drive Snap-On ratchet I bought in 1974. The mechanism has been replaced once some time ago. As it is my only ratchet (other than my 1/4" drive), I chose to go with the model with fewer teeth for longer life and more torque capability.

My tools have been one of the only things I never sold when times were tough.
Our new Snap-On ratchets (3/8 & 1/2) have 80 gear teeth (1/4 has 72), so they are very nice and smooth and require very little movement to catch the next tooth. Plus the ergomics, head and handle design all add up to make them a real pleasure to use. Crap, I sound like a Snap-On salesman....no affiliation

Originally Posted by 993BillW
After 30+ yrs. the only Snap On screwdrivers I have left. All the others walked off in the night. And I bought this set used from the Snap On driver.
Funny how that works!
You know they do still sell them.....just be prepared for little sticker shock compared to 30 years ago.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Our new Snap-On ratchets (3/8 & 1/2) have 80 gear teeth (1/4 has 72), so they are very nice and smooth and require very little movement to catch the next tooth.
Those are the advantages of the high number of teeth.

Ahhhh, with three Snap-On torque wrenches in the chest, I might just splurge again and look at some fine toothed ratchets as well.

What I really need to do is a better and larger tool chest/cabinet with ball bearing drawer slides.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This is my favorite ratchet by far. If I could do it all over again, I would have started with these.

Screwdriver action when you want it. Ratchet when you want that too.

+1 I use the 1/4" the most. 3/8" next. 1/2" mainly for impact (yes, impact sockets -- not the regulars that can shatter).
Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay....what part number is this or what's it's called?

Quick Reply: Snap-on screwdrivers - which handles do you prefer?