993 Forum 1995-1998

CEL/readiness question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
ttw18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL/readiness question

Does the OBD trip a check engine light only AFTER all the readiness codes are set? I am missing only 1 readiness code (o2 sensor) and am wondering once it is set if I will get a code for the SAI. All my systems with the exception of the oxygen sensor say "ready" on my scanner.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, all must be "ready" (as read by scanners)

Sounds like you had an SAI fault prior?
If so, it may take a while for it to pop up again.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:58 PM
ttw18
Instructor

I mean, do all readiness monitors need to be set before it throws a "check engine light." Or if you have a fault, will it trip a light immediately, even if all monitors are not set. I do have a previous SAI fault code. I am afraid that once the last readiness monitor is set (02 sensor) the CEL will come on for the SAI. Is that how it works?

My smog is due next week. I have been reading up on the strategies for setting the monitors. I just don't want to waste my time if the OBD is waiting to throw the code.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In California I believe you are allow to have 2 readiness code NOT set and still pass !
Call up your smog place and ask them. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
Our cars (OBD ii -- 1996...) have 8 readiness monitors. The SLOWEST to 'set' are the ones for the cats. The fastest to 'set' are the EZ ones, (so to speak), e.g. the misfire monitor, etc.
Once a particular readiness monitor has 'set' - then the system that THAT monitor is ....yes, monitoring... needs to be working, within parameters, otherwise you'll first get a pending code and then a full-blown DTC (stored) code ...yes, a CEL.
Think about it, why would the misfire monitor have to wait until the cats are 'set' before telling you that you have a bad spark-plug?
IMHO, you should do the 'BMW drive cycle' (do a search) and get that last, pesky, cat-monitor to 'set' and then skootch over to your friendly Emissions/Inspection station. I would NOT turn off the car because the SAI is 'checked' during the first few minutes after a 'cold-start'. With the car already running, it has already checked the SAI when you first started the car - so why give it a second chance to possibly ruin your day? IMHO, 'wasting' a couple of bucks of gas, by letting it idle, whilst the tech-guyz get their wires in order, is better than getting a CEL. Also, by letting it idle, you're being sorta passive-aggressive in letting them know that they can't lolly-gag and need to attend to you lickety-split.
If some (lazy/on-my-cellphone) tech mumbles "Hey man, I suggest you turn your car off until we're ready" I would simply say: "MY car is ready ...why aren't you?" and leave it running so as to make the point.

Just my $0.02,

Gerry
Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ttw18
I mean, do all readiness monitors need to be set before it throws a "check engine light." Or if you have a fault, will it trip a light immediately, even if all monitors are not set. I do have a previous SAI fault code. I am afraid that once the last readiness monitor is set (02 sensor) the CEL will come on for the SAI. Is that how it works?

My smog is due next week. I have been reading up on the strategies for setting the monitors. I just don't want to waste my time if the OBD is waiting to throw the code.
You can have a CEL before the readiness codes are set. I don't think the logic for triggering a CEL is dependant on readiness codes being "set" or whether they are still in the "not ready state". I had a CEL for random misfires. When I used my scanner to read the misfire codes I also noticed that 2 readiness codes were not set. Based on this I would say that the CEL can be triggered anytime regardless of the readiness codes.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Don't lift
In California I believe you are allow to have 2 readiness code NOT set and still pass !
Call up your smog place and ask them. Good luck.
Same for Texas for cars of the age of a 993. It is important that ANY "failed" code will let you fail the inspection. The "flexibility" is provided only for "not ready" codes. Check with your DPS on your local regulation.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
ttw18
Instructor

My reason for asking is that on a few occasions when I erased the code, the CEL for SAI would return when I driving on the freeway. It just made me wonder why then?

Quick Reply: CEL/readiness question