Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

ABS and ABD warning lights came on today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:19 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi kms0521,
yes they are.
To take them out you have to lift the black cover upward.
It's difficult,but possible or you could push just a little-bit with a needle the inner of the black round clip just at the top of the cover and then remove the cover that will easily lift-it
Be carefull not to push too much the center cap,otherwise it will fall inside the fairing.
hope this helps
cheers
Old 12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Just for the records. I had the same happening to me yesterday on the racetrack. Before you even start to look at the electrical part, check your alternator belt. It broke and caused the issue. I was able to get some crappy belts from the Autozone to get me moving again because the fan belt started to roll ... The lights came off immediately after the replacement. I was fortunate that another driver had the tool for the alternator shaft (10 mm 12 point) because it was missing in my toolbox. My learning is to put this tool plus a 24mm wrench the hex key for the 3 bolts and a spare and alternator belt in my car. You can always cut the AC belt for quick replacement of the 2 vital belts when you are on the road.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:57 PM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Just for the records. I had the same happening to me yesterday on the racetrack. Before you even start to look at the electrical part, check your alternator belt. It broke and caused the issue. I was able to get some crappy belts from the Autozone to get me moving again because the fan belt started to roll ... The lights came off immediately after the replacement. I was fortunate that another driver had the tool for the alternator shaft (10 mm 12 point) because it was missing in my toolbox. My learning is to put this tool plus a 24mm wrench the hex key for the 3 bolts and a spare and alternator belt in my car. You can always cut the AC belt for quick replacement of the 2 vital belts when you are on the road.

Mine was the belt. Thank you for the tip. Much cheaper than four speed sensors.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM
marke993
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kms0521
.... covered with a plastic box (that is not obvious how to remove!)
OK, I surrender, I cannot work out the trick to remove this cover.

Will someone give me more clues. I've looked at the post that mentions a needle but can't see where I'd push it.

ABS/ABD relay cover

Thanks
Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 PM
993.Coupe
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by marke993
OK, I surrender, I cannot work out the trick to remove this cover.

Will someone give me more clues. I've looked at the post that mentions a needle but can't see where I'd push it.

ABS/ABD relay cover

Thanks
I'm about an hour into a search for exactly what marke993 was looking for.....6 years ago... I keep scrolling excited about a successful search... hoping to read an easy "how to"..... Nope..... Maybe I'll ping him if he figured it out? Whoops, that was his last post...

I'm getting a random ABS ABD light which I thought could be a questionable battery/charging system but those were just cleared. There was an error code 39 so I wanted to replace the relays in the frunk....but how do I remove that cover

Thank you!!!
Old 01-19-2022, 01:03 AM
Tarzan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an explanation here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...lay-cover.html

.. but I wasn't able to get this cover off either. Any fresh tips?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:30 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If I recall correctly, the cover slide straight up, unlocking it off tabs. I will take a look this evening.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:51 PM
Tarzan
Track Day

I tried that - it makes sense. But I couldn’t get it off.

I believe there are a few tabs on the bottom, but I couldn’t find a way to disengage them.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:28 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Busy evening, did not get to do investigation.

But in recalling the time a few years ago, I think there is a plastic pin that you have to pull out first, look closely with good light.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:49 AM
Tarzan
Track Day

I couldn't find a pin to pull out. I do see the rivet labelled 11.

I believe there are tabs on the bottom of the cover (9), I just couldn't find a way to release them.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:47 PM
993.Coupe
Instructor

As a follow up; I was finally able to remove the relay cover. Some folks are able to wrestle the cover off with the 'panel' in place. After looking at the part itself you can see how the cover hooks onto the panel. However the best way is just removing the spare tire and pushing in the 'pin' in the rivet (#11 in prior post) so you can remove the entire panel, then easily remove the cover to expose the relays. The bottom of the panel has 'posts' that slot into the body of the car so nothing is bolted. Yes you do lose the pin behind the sheet metal but I was able to fish it out twice. Why twice? I installed it the first time without the cover....whoops. A wire or long twist-tie will help push it around until you grab it with plyers or push it out one side.

Hope this helps someone!

The following users liked this post:
LimeyBoy (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 12:25 PM
993.Coupe
Instructor

Cleaning contacts on relay's made no difference, received the ABS/ ABD light at first start up, figures, and then they disappeared at restart getting fuel. I'll replace relays and report back.

I just had the car serviced for cv boots and mentioned the intermittent ABS light and thought maybe wheel speed sensor but he seemed to rule that out. Stand by for more details and I'll take better pictures when I remove the relay panel....again.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:38 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Tarzan and 993.Coupe are correct in that there is a very small pin that is removed from the plastic rivet (# 11 in drawing posted by Tarzan) so the rivet can be pulled out to release the relay holder (#8 in drawing) so the cover can be removed to access the ABS relays. I drilled a tiny hole in the pin, threaded a tiny screw into that hole, then removed the pin by grabbing the screwhead with needle nose pliers. I guess one could just rip that plastic rivet out instead. To make access easier in the future I drilled a 7mm hole in the sheet metal so I could use a removable 7mm Toyota (or Honda) plastic rivet. I have family cars that use these so I had these rivets and the proper tool on hand. Now getting to those relays is a 2 second job. See photos below. (Sorry, not in order !)

I know this might upset the purist, so if you are one, don't look !

Last edited by AX993; 08-19-2023 at 02:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AX993:
993.Coupe (08-19-2023), Watson (08-21-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 11:40 AM
993.Coupe
Instructor

Going to replace the two ABS relays in my C2 (R65/R68) since I am still getting intermittent ABS light at start up. R66 and R67 are blank in mine. I called my local dealer and current part number for both of the relays is 993-615-136-01, am I risking anything with a relay from O'Reilys?

ORiely Branded Relay

Thank you!
Old 09-06-2023, 12:32 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 993.Coupe
Going to replace the two ABS relays in my C2 (R65/R68) since I am still getting intermittent ABS light at start up. R66 and R67 are blank in mine. I called my local dealer and current part number for both of the relays is 993-615-136-01, am I risking anything with a relay from O'Reilys?

ORiely Branded Relay

Thank you!
I won't take a chance on a non-OEM part with the exception of brake rotors, prefer GIRO 2 piece from APEX in S. Carolina, and possibly performance brake pads for the track, and I will only use MOTUL 660 brake fluid, other than that, it's Factory OEM parts for me, with virtually no exceptions.

The best deal I've found on parts is from Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas, NV. No sales tax and they offer deals on shipping if the shipping $$$ is sufficient. I don't know what the magic # is on shipping.

Quick Reply: ABS and ABD warning lights came on today...