Sponsored by:

Cannot open door with key

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011 | 02:05 PM
serval
Racer

Default Cannot open door with key

Hello----

I need help before i do something to hurt myself!

First , let me start by saying that I have read every thread I found on the issue and still cannot solve it. Here goes the odyssey so far:

Battery dead
Doors locked

Step 1
Tried to physically unlock driver's door with key

Result
Doesn't work. Key will turn right 90 degrees, and have resistance turning left, bounces back. Moreover, the handle is slack at all times- doesn't catch on

Step 2
Jack-up car - remove inner liner front-left and open hood via cable. Charge battery.

Result
Battery charges and alarm lights flash intermitently in groups of 2

Step 3
Try opening via remote

Result
All kind of clicks, but nothing works. Handle remains slack. Lights flass same pattern

Step 4
Try turning key

Result
Same result as before

Step 4
Searched all threads

Result
Learned a lot, but could not find a solution. Most of you make it in the car once you figure out the plastic cover comes off.

Step 5
Got Drunk

Result
Wept uncontrollably on my knees by the door. Neighbours laughing.

Step 6
Decided to post and ask for help

Somebody just tell me why?? Please.

Anton
Old 04-03-2011 | 02:09 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Try recycling the battery again (disconnect it - then re-connect it). Sometimes, a car wikll "re-synch" itself this way.
Old 04-03-2011 | 02:23 PM
serval
Racer

Tried the soft-reset, disconnecting the battery
- Nothing.
Old 04-03-2011 | 02:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Have you tried replacing the battery in your remote or using the other remote if you have it?
Old 04-03-2011 | 02:46 PM
serval
Racer

Yes, I replacted batteries in both remotes - was time anyway.
What I don't understand is why I cannot physically open with the key. It seems there's a mechanical disconnect, but I cannot imagine what would have caused it.
Old 04-03-2011 | 03:00 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Latch rod in mechanical release is bent or broken sometimes it requires slow deliberate turning to
the left to get it to push open...been there
keep a trickle charger on it if not in use..
Old 04-03-2011 | 03:40 PM
993/907
Pro

Passenger door?
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:13 PM
serval
Racer

Thanks for the feedback...

tried passenger door - same result.

And it is because both doors exhibit the same issue - (namely, actual handle feels disconnected, does not engage on both sides )- that I don't think there's something broken. Too much of a coincidence happening to both doors at the same time.

I think there's an actuator issue not fully engaging. I just don't know how to fix it without first opening the door. Key here is the handle not engaging and I have no idea why.
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:29 PM
993/907
Pro

Is your car equipped with the POS immobilzer/Drive-Block system?
Old 04-03-2011 | 06:34 PM
Leon993
Racer

Since the door handle is not engaging, may be the reason the immobilizer may not be recognizing it. You may be in better shape than you think.

You've tried the diplomatic solution and it all failed. Now its time for the military solution. Break the window, get in there, disassemble the door and get to the bottom of why the door handle is not engaging. Then there's the immobilizer, which is another story. If your remote is busted, there is a complicated sequence of steps to program a new one. Since dealer is the only place to buy this, hold their sorry asses accountable to program it, it may take them forever, but let those thieves deal with it.

Best of luck my friend. Keep us posted!
Old 04-03-2011 | 07:11 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Before you start breaking windows, try replacing the battery in your car with a new, fully charged battery.
Old 04-03-2011 | 07:31 PM
993/907
Pro

Terry beat me to it, new battery.
There have been several posts recently wherein a weak car battery and/or bad grounding cable have caused hinky electrics problems.

If that doesn't work call a cab.
Seriously; around here our cabbies charge $20 to use their slim-jims to unlock car doors.
Failing that, call a locksmith.
Breaking a window would be messy and expensive....did I mention messy?
Old 04-03-2011 | 09:04 PM
serval
Racer

Funny enough, I have a good friend, Leon, as well, whose advice was also to break the window. Must be a "live up to your name" prophecy. But before I pull a gun on the car, I was thinking the following:

The car has an imobilizer that triggers the actuator which in turn completes the mechanical connection allowing the handle to engage and the key to work. I will try a new battery.

will keep posted.
Old 04-04-2011 | 09:55 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Try this, from a distant memory:

Key in lock turn and hold. At the same time, squeeze the handle. I believe the key has to be turned and held for the handle to work.
Old 04-04-2011 | 10:11 AM
serval
Racer

Thanks techman1,

tried that too - no response, handle still not engaging. I also run across this response on Renntech to a similar issue. Credit for the response below goes to RFM

"Hi
A good change that the door lock / latch is replaced or the door outside handle and the extend of the lock cylinder is out of possition ( no penetration extend - door lock / latch ). In this case is locking - unlocking with the key impossible, concerning the remote control, if the red led is flashing = remote faulty if the red led not flashing = battery empty. Trey the second remote but there is a big change that the remote is out of synchronisation ( after approx. 5 days unused ) and it is not possible to do the synchronisation if the lock cylinder is disconnected from the lock / latch. I think that you can use some help from a OPC or good indy to open the door. "

I will get another battery - let's see what happens

Quick Reply: Cannot open door with key