OT "one nite in Paris"

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:17 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT "one nite in Paris"

Yea like the title says. And no not your favorite movie.

The wife and I have 2 day's and 1 night in Paris and we have never been before. So I'm posting to ask if any 993'ers have been there because our choice for dinner is going to be very important. So if anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate it. We are staying right near the Arc DeTriomphe. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 AM
vincent911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2ride
Yea like the title says. And no not your favorite movie.

The wife and I have 2 day's and 1 night in Paris and we have never been before. So I posting to ask if any 993'er have been there because our choice for dinner is going to be very important. So if anyone has suggestions I'd really appreciate it. We are staying right near the Arc DeTriomphe. Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

In this area, I can suggest the APICIUS Restaurant (20 rue d'Artois).
http://www.restaurant-apicius.com

Some friends really recommends it to me and I plan to go there before summer with my wife.

Depending of your travel time, I could give you my own opinion before you come.

Vincent
Old 04-02-2011, 10:30 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Vincent!
We are supper excited to visit your city. we arrive wednesday morning and plan to see some sights all day. So our din din plans are very important.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:59 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The following comments are taken from Enigmawmn's reply to a thread in January about suggestions in Paris.... Hope this helps.

"Restaurants ... I don't even know where to begin. That's why we keep coming back

Les Deux Magots - a cafe made famous by Picasso, Hemingway & Sartre. I could spend the whole day sitting there and watching the life go by. Try a Croque Monsieur and a dessert tray. It's located on Blvd St Germain, across from St-Germain-des-Pres and Louis Vuitton (if the Mrs. wants to make that visit, this location is better than the one on Champs Elysees. It's smaller, more intimate and doesn't have hoards of tourists asking you if you'll go in to buy a bag for them. Apparently there's some restriction for Japan and/or China). Avoid Brasserie Lipp across the street.

La Tour d'Argent - if you like duck. Duck a la presse, to be exact. And especially if you're a wine drinker. Their wine list is one of the best in the world. Request a window table, so you could take in the view of the Notre Dame.

Taillevent, Le Meurice, Les Ambassadeurs (Hotel de Crillon on Place de la Concorde), Pierre Gagnaire, Alain Ducasse (Plaza Athenee), Joel Robuchon - are the big names and come with an equally big price tag, but will be worth the splurge.

Jules Verne - located in the Eiffel Tower and recently was taken over by Alain Ducasse. If you manage to get a table by the window, you'll kill two birds with one stone: a good dinner (or lunch) and a visit to the tower.

L'Ami Louis - casual bistro known for its whole roasted chicken and Bill Clinton as their biggest fan. Worth a visit, but tough to get into.

Laduree macaroons are a must. There are many locations throughout the city.

Stop by the Fauchon by Eglise de la Madaleine."
Old 04-02-2011, 02:22 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is almost impossible to pick a "bad" restaurant in Paris - unless you go "tourist" (such as the one atop the Eifel Tower). It's similar to "you can't buy a bad japanese motorcycle.

Many years ago, we ate at a "typical" neighborhood place called cochon doré (Golden Pig). Don't know if it's still there. But like many similar places, great food and ambiance. What was especially nice (for us) to see were couples bringing their little french poodles in with them. Typically, the dog sits on the woman's lap and is fed scraps from the table. (Very French!)

The Blvd des Italians features a number of Cous-Cous (Moroccan) food. I've found it mostly a "lunch" (rather than dinner) place - but still great.

I think French women (in general) are the world's best dressed. They are so stylish even when running around doing "routine" errands. Just sitting in any place - especially one that has sidewalk seating, is just a great place to sit and stare.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Apicius is a good choice as already mentioned. And it will be nearby where you are (in the 8th.)

If you want a truly romantic setting in an amazing historical dining room, Le Meurice is fantastic. The setting is so classical "French restaurant." It's where any movie about a quintessential French restaurant would probably be filmed. It's run by three star Michelin chef, Yannick Alleno. It's right near the Tuileries on Rue de Rivoli, so it will still be in the neighborhood (in the 1st.)

The food is superb and the building and ambiance is stunning. It's pricey but the service and everything about it is excellent. It's an 'event' to eat there and maybe even one of those "bucket" things you want to do before it's all over. I realize it's in a hotel (Hotel Meurice) and it might be considered more like a 'power' place, but don't let that sway you at all. Alleno is a world renowned chef (he uses organic and natural fresh foods.)

Lots of the world's top restaurants are in Paris of course, so you won't really go wrong with any suggestion. Just be prepared for the prices and the dress codes (jacket for men, etc..)
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Have a hot dog on top of that tower thing they have there
Awesome views.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
L'Ami Louis - casual bistro known for its whole roasted chicken and Bill Clinton as their biggest fan. Worth a visit, but tough to get into."
Tough to get into? Hell it's tough even to find. Might be the most expensive whole roasted chicken in the world. Might also be the best whole roasted chicken in the world ... and worth every euro. Been there a few times, but never saw Slick Willie.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Le Procope....is one of my favorites, and I believe is the oldest restaurant in Paris. Three words: Coq au Vin.

We've also done one of the high end dinner cruises on the Seine....I think $100 or 120 pp, but the food was great, you get the scenic tour and it wasn't a cattle call event.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

+993 for Jules Verne. Make reservations far in advance. The food/service is superb, and the view is, well, there is no other that compares. One of those experiences you'll cherish.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM
luv2ride
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Will most definitely post where we finally go to eat. Do they really have hot dogs at the to of that tower thing? <------ lol
Old 04-03-2011, 11:08 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Apicius is good, twice a month there on average for business diners.
If there, ask for a table in the front next to garden, in the back, it's sordid.
Price with normal wine +/- 400 euros for two.
The other restaurants mentioned above, you need reservation with my dentist's timetable.
Without being pretentious, even if it sounds so, been to all, on different occasions several times. Prices are euro style. Restaurants is my favorite sport in this city. My all time best was Les Ambassadeurs in the late 90's, went there last month invited friends, two couples, two bottles, four digit euro bill. Still my all time favorite for the view, or cadre as we say. To think you could have a table at the Jules Verne with Trocadero view, is like sweepstakes, invented for people poor in math. But today my best restaurant is l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. No reservations. The main restaurant is called La Table de Joel Robuchon, but we are talking L'Atelier. the best dinners I ever had in my life. It is mainly a huge U shaped bar with the chefs kitchen just in the middle of the bar. All is prepared in front of you. They have this poached egg with truffles as starter. It is baptism to Xanadu. The chefs will advise you the wines with whichever meal you are choosing, and wines are 30ish a bottle. Average for two is 120 euros. You can have several small starters or one large, several small meals or one large, you choose. Robuchon is generic today, the best in my opinion. Again, no reservation, go at 19:00 have a drink and start at 20:00, my 2 cts rennstyle

Quick Reply: OT "one nite in Paris"