Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How much mechanical work do you perform yourself on your 993?
I do EVERYTHING myself and would not let a mechanic near my car with a 10' pole
17.19%
I do most things on my car, but at times let others work on it for the really tough stuff
50.52%
I do the simple things like oil changes and tire changes, but let others handle the rest
16.67%
I change the light bulbs, but that is about it, someone else takes care of it
10.94%
I do absolutely nothing to service my car, its all done by someone else
4.69%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

How much to you DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I try to take on most projects my self. But as I get older, some things are worth paying some one else to take care of. I get satisfaction out of DIY, & it lets you know the car on a much deeper scale.

Of course, there are things like corner balancing & alignment that I will always pay for. Same for an engine rebuild, to costly for me to do something wrong. I also do not do body/paint work, other then little things.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68
I've never opened a transmission or the bottom end of a motor but I've done most everything else on one car or another. I would still farm out a transmission or bottom end rebuild unless I found someone who was willing to let me help/watch while they do it. I'd like to learn how to repair those two things when the time comes.
My thoughts exactly.

Andreas
Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can (and have) swapped out the corner lenses from amber to clear; and I've really perfected the topping off of the coolant in the radiator. I purchased a specially calibrated container to do it
Old 03-25-2011, 02:06 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seemed there are lots of DIY'ers out there. Certainly, this forum provides resources and confidence for pretty much any task.

Here is an interesting question to those who DIY, at what point do you say "this is over my head and I need to take it to a pro"?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Geo, you have 2 engines? You swap them every week?
yes George, why the two engines?; inquiring minds want to know.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

axl911,

My point of taking it to someone is when highly specialized equipment or tools are needed, like an alignment.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:59 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I was looking for a transmission to swap with my broken tranny, the time for me to rebuild it.
Fell on a low mile totaled carrera S in UK production Sep '97 (last months of prod I think)
Made a deal with the dismantler and took engine and tranny.
Now I swapped both original engine and transmission, and I am going to rebuild my originals.
then swap back...This way I use the car, rebuild slowly as I please, and take all my time.
Later if I resell back the spare engine, I would be able to sell it more than what I paid.
and I wanted to test another engine on my car to compare (hope my girlfriend doesn't read this)
Old 03-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by swmic
axl911,

My point of taking it to someone is when highly specialized equipment or tools are needed, like an alignment.
Yup, agree with that. Most of this stuff is not rocket science. The usual penalty we pay is that we are usually much slower than the pro's ; on the positive side we are usually more careful.

Alignments is pretty well the only thing I use other shops for. Another fallout is that I do not have good relationships with any local shops since I do not frequent them very often, if not at all. However, I have notice when I do talk to owners, i get a bit of respect because I can talk the talk.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Alignments is pretty well the only thing I use other shops for. Another fallout is that I do not have good relationships with any local shops since I do not frequent them very often, if not at all. However, I have notice when I do talk to owners, i get a bit of respect because I can talk the talk.

Cheers,

Mike
I have good relationships with my local shops inc. the dealer even though they know I do most of my own work. Probably the main reason for that is I'm on the board for the local PCA club and get many requests for "what shop would you recommend for my service?" I've sent all of them a good bit of business.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Here is an interesting question to those who DIY, at what point do you say "this is over my head and I need to take it to a pro"?
I've had engines and trannies apart...and put them back together...working.

As mentioned, when specialized/very expensive equipment is required to do a job that is done very infrequently...such as an alignment. But even that can be done by someone with skills and without the specialized equipment.

Many tools can be made. I built my own wheel balancer for motorcycle wheels...this thing can resolve...talk about sensitivity.

My shop consists of a very complete set of Snap-On and other branded tools, a lathe, a mill, measurement tools, welding equipment, a new 7.5 HP massive compressor for that soon-to-be acquired media blast cabinet. New shop stuff and a lift soon to be added as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My shop consists of a very complete set of Snap-On and other branded tools, a lathe, a mill, measurement tools, welding equipment, a new 7.5 HP massive compressor for that soon-to-be acquired media blast cabinet. New shop stuff and a lift soon to be added as well.
That + a refrigerator and good stereo is my dream garage.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
That + a refrigerator and good stereo is my dream garage.
Damn, how could I forget the really important stuff, especially that beer fridge?

I'd also want a laptop which could double as a TV.

We need another thread: How well is your shop equipped? and with pics!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I couldn't really vote on #1 either, as there are many guys I'd trust to work on any of my cars. As an ex-shop owner, I just don't have the need for it. And it's not about the money. I have always felt that if I owned a car like this, or any of my race cars, that I should be responsible for it top to bottom. If I don't have time to prep a car, then I don't participate.

So about all I have NOT done is crank/rod work or line bore a 2.7L case (but I used my uncle's machine shop at the farm to timesert and surface cases). And final paint on a few of the slope/930/RS/RSR conversions from that era in the '80s. As I type this I'm taking a break from prepping the Spec Miata for paint. I may not actually spray it as there's a kid who's begging me to do it in exchange for some seat time.

It pained me a couple of years ago when I felt it was best to send the yellow car's #1 head back to Steve to repair it from the failed valve spring. I don't have access to that equipment anymore. (And there's not much I don't have access to--click the link below on my cousin's 910 to see what's in the machine shop.)

Ultimately I got into the hard end of this by accident when I was only 4 months into 911 ownership when I was 18 and the engine failed. Haven't looked back. The guy who gave me my big break into full-line mechanics just passed; and as I consider what I'm going to say at his memorial, I hope he knew how much I appreciated being thrown into the deep end both doing repair and at the track.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm DIY for all but paint/body. I've managed to build a pretty awesome little '84 Targa in the last 9 years, hot-rodded engine included. I'm just getting to know my 993, and expect the same on it.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'm DIY for all but paint/body. I've managed to build a pretty awesome little '84 Targa in the last 9 years, hot-rodded engine included. I'm just getting to know my 993, and expect the same on it.
Not to derail this thread, but how about some more pics of "Ruby." I think I may be kind of sweet on her

Quick Reply: How much to you DIY?