Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing self purchased parts to indy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

I don't use any shops, but if I did, I'd at least would like to know what parts they are installing; jobber or OEM.

Then again, if the idie does not stock parts, then they are in the business of servicing, which is what customers are giving them...that part of the business.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't know...have not been to an "indy" for decades...literally. :-)
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Remember the shop won't warranty parts you bring in and they install. If a part fails you'll have to pay to have a replacement installed (again) and have the hassle of trying to get a refund from the supplier.
+1
I think this is truly the bottom line on this whole question. No shop is going to take responsibility for a defective part if you supply it to them. You take a big risk of paying labor twice. You bring the part and then anything (other than improper install) is wrong with it, it's your problem not theirs.
It's fair to both sides to do your research, know what you can get the part for and allow the shop a reasonable (15%) mark-up on the price -- that mark-up is sometimes pure profit, but often covers the cost of lost time because their supplier sent the wrong part, etc.
Also, don't lose sight of the hourly shop rate and the total estimate -- you know, "penny wise and pound foolish".
At the end of the day it's more important to find a shop that does good work and you can trust with your car, than to save a few bucks.
Having said all that... I'm a DIY guy.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Mike, same here.

I wonder how many do all of their own work and to what level?

Time to start a poll?
Old 03-24-2011, 08:29 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

I think as long as its addressed with the mechanic, most of the time there shouldn't be a problem. Of course if you supply a part and it fails or is incomplete, its on you...and vica versa.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Mike, same here.

I wonder how many do all of their own work and to what level?

Time to start a poll?
I do just about everything, but the evaporator is a niggly pain in the *** and I don't want to do it.

Btw this was really just a general thread to see if people do this. I don't intend on making it a habit.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've brought parts to my indy with no problems. Things like brake pads trans/gear lube, spark plugs, belts, and I always bring my own oil selection.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone here been a shop owner? You'd be absolutely floored by what passes for customer expectation. Car arriving with its own parts, something's not right, and you're "expected" to not only source the right stuff but get the job done as promised because the customer can't make other arrangements to leave the car or bring it back. Etc.

I've got a pretty good read on the pulse of most of the Bay Area/Northern California Porsche (and a couple of BMW and race fabrication) shops. Tough living, and I'd certainly say the net pay leaves the owner in the bottom quartile of his clientele. I've spent about 1/3 or my adult working years in the Porsche business; and I've made my money because I hustled, working tirelessly and efficiently. I've casually looked at maybe six automotive businesses in the past year-and-a-half, seriously at two in a desire to come out of semi-retirement/unemployment. Six figures possible, after taxes, in California anymore? Not unless you've got a big crew and are willing to immediately tie up $100K+ and either be negative for 2-3 years at ~$10K/mo. to keep things afloat hoping you build a clientele, or buy existing with $2-300K down and assume a ~$500K note.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Actually, I lied. I do not have an alignment rack, and am too lazy to use strings, so i do get my alignments done. Of course, there should be no parts required if the car is in good shape.....
Old 03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The warranty is absolutely the issue. You bring me a part and pay me to install-part fails-oh well, that's a bummer. Now, I'll be happy to sell you the part, and installation. If there is a problem, I'll remedy it.

Seems simple enough. I'd also think most shops would respect parts requests-if not, move along or ask them why and what they'd recommend. Make your decision then.

My shop buys whatever part I want, provides it for free and never charges me for labor; they build engines, modify suspensions, brakes, etc. Does maintenance and cleaning too. All shops should be so easy to deal with....
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,851 Likes on 2,394 Posts

unless your shop cannot source what your need, i wouldn't bring my own parts.
and if your shop cannot source what you need, you need a new shop.
as race 911 commented above, it's a tough business.
i let my mechanic do whatever he wants to with my car.
if you cannot trust your mechanic, you got the wrong mechanic.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Jeep needed a new clutch, I contacted a shop that had done a good job on the truck before and set it up to have them do it. I told them I was going to be bringing the clutch in for them to install - I understand that you won't warranty the parts, and you can charge me a bit more for labor since you miss out on some markup - but I specifically want this specific brand installed. They said OK no problem. Until I get the car towed there and show up with the clutch, they change their mind and say they won't. I'm frustrated but don't want to deal with getting the car towed again so I tell them fine, you can do the work, but I want an OEM Sachs clutch - nothing else. They agree to that and I go on my way and return the Sachs clutch that I had bought. Turns out they go to autozone and get a clutch, then charge me twice what I had paid for the Sachs clutch. I have since found another shop that happily installed Toyota OEM parts that I brought when I needed a timing belt. For me, its not about the money, its about knowing exactly what goes into my cars.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
unless your shop cannot source what your need, i wouldn't bring my own parts.
and if your shop cannot source what you need, you need a new shop.
as race 911 commented above, it's a tough business.
i let my mechanic do whatever he wants to with my car.
if you cannot trust your mechanic, you got the wrong mechanic.
+++1
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam5oh
My Jeep needed a new clutch, I contacted a shop that had done a good job on the truck before and set it up to have them do it. I told them I was going to be bringing the clutch in for them to install - I understand that you won't warranty the parts, and you can charge me a bit more for labor since you miss out on some markup - but I specifically want this specific brand installed. They said OK no problem. Until I get the car towed there and show up with the clutch, they change their mind and say they won't. I'm frustrated but don't want to deal with getting the car towed again so I tell them fine, you can do the work, but I want an OEM Sachs clutch - nothing else. They agree to that and I go on my way and return the Sachs clutch that I had bought. Turns out they go to autozone and get a clutch, then charge me twice what I had paid for the Sachs clutch. I have since found another shop that happily installed Toyota OEM parts that I brought when I needed a timing belt. For me, its not about the money, its about knowing exactly what goes into my cars.
How did you find out they installed an Autozone clutch. This is why I only go to mechanics through personal recommendations. Its just too easy for shops to get away with stuff like that.
Along a similar vein how many people ask to see the parts they've removed?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually provide most of the parts to my mechanic(s)

Quick Reply: Bringing self purchased parts to indy?