Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bringing self purchased parts to indy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts
Default Bringing self purchased parts to indy?

I've seen a couple recent threads where people have mentioned bring parts to their indy mechanics.

I'm wondering if most people do this. From what I've heard, indys loath when people do this, but quite frankly, I can understand the large cost savings. I've also heard the "you don't bring your steak to the restaurant to have the chef cook it, do ya" argument.

So, do you do this? How does your indy react?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I've done it in the past, but not recently. I found that the best way to avoid a conflict was to check with the shop in advance of arriving at the shop with parts in hand. That way no one is surprised. The shop is free to say, "No" and you're free to find another shop if you don't like the response.

As an aside, while profit may be a concern, I would say that there is also the concern of getting the car in a bay or on a rack, getting it apart, and then finding that the parts the owner provided aren't exactly right, leaving things tied up until the correct parts are obtained.

Terry
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO it's little iffy and I can certainly understand shops being not so happy about it.

At least I'd suggest pricing the parts online and then going to your regular indy with that info and asking what price he can do.
There's a chance he can match your price and still make some profit so it would be better for both parties.

I rather pay little extra to the local shop to keep him in business since/if I'm using his services. I won't pay huge extra but if I can get parts for $800 online, I'd happily pay $850-900 to the guy who (reasonably priced and professionally) installs them.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Did it once-got away with it because I was a newbie but my indy will not install parts he didn't purchase. I have no problem with that.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by TMc993
I've done it in the past, but not recently. I found that the best way to avoid a conflict was to check with the shop in advance of arriving at the shop with parts in hand. That way no one is surprised. The shop is free to say, "No" and you're free to find another shop if you don't like the response.

As an aside, while profit may be a concern, I would say that there is also the concern of getting the car in a bay or on a rack, getting it apart, and then finding that the parts the owner provided aren't exactly right, leaving things tied up until the correct parts are obtained.

Terry
Terry, the part don't fit syndrome is definitely real and annoying I'm sure.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
IMO it's little iffy and I can certainly understand shops being not so happy about it.

At least I'd suggest pricing the parts online and then going to your regular indy with that info and asking what price he can do.
There's a chance he can match your price and still make some profit so it would be better for both parties.

I rather pay little extra to the local shop to keep him in business since/if I'm using his services. I won't pay huge extra but if I can get parts for $800 online, I'd happily pay $850-900 to the guy who (reasonably priced and professionally) installs them.
Agreed, $100 here and there is not the end of the world if the shop takes care of you.

I'm doing an evaporator soon, and I want to do the griffiths version, which is about $550. I got a quote for the same part at $800.

The $250 difference isn't killing me, but it still seems a bit wasteful.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm doing an evaporator soon, and I want to do the griffiths version, which is about $550. I got a quote for the same part at $800.

The $250 difference isn't killing me, but it still seems a bit wasteful.
I agree...A 50% mark-up is a little steep...It might be worth a discussion with your shop if it's someone you've done a lot of business with.

Terry
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, discuss it with the guy. I always worked around the "problem" by adjusting my labor rate to what he would have paid if I gave him a "best price" on the parts. Say $650-700 on the item in question here. But the POS 911s I was working on were average driver types owned by average working stiffs.

Bottom line is that you don't have a $1.99 car here, and it's pretty much an insult to chisel a guy who's likely driving a whole lot less than you for a couple hundred difference.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by TMc993
I agree...A 50% mark-up is a little steep...It might be worth a discussion with your shop if it's someone you've done a lot of business with.

Terry
This was not my usual shop but rather a well respected HVAC place in the area.

Originally Posted by race911
Yes, discuss it with the guy. I always worked around the "problem" by adjusting my labor rate to what he would have paid if I gave him a "best price" on the parts. Say $650-700 on the item in question here. But the POS 911s I was working on were average driver types owned by average working stiffs.

Bottom line is that you don't have a $1.99 car here, and it's pretty much an insult to chisel a guy who's likely driving a whole lot less than you for a couple hundred difference.
To some degree, yes. Obviously he is free to make a profit and there is mark up involved in everything. $250 on a $550 part (which I'm sure he gets cheaper as well) is a bit steep to me.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember the shop won't warranty parts you bring in and they install. If a part fails you'll have to pay to have a replacement installed (again) and have the hassle of trying to get a refund from the supplier. I think its not worth saving 10-20% over. Then again if the mechanic is gouging on parts prices and won't work with you then its probably a good idea to look elsewhere.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This was not my usual shop but rather a well respected HVAC place in the area.

To some degree, yes. Obviously he is free to make a profit and there is mark up involved in everything. $250 on a $550 part (which I'm sure he gets cheaper as well) is a bit steep to me.
You'd be surprised how many places merely have net pricing. You guys would be further surprised to know that the street price you're paying for what you buy is pretty much what the shops pay.

In any case, would you go into the Apple store/Nordstrom/Whole Foods and say that their 50% markups on cost are steep? Anyone else here with a retail business, feel free to correct me.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
I respectfully disagree...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discussed this with my indy before ordering the parts and he told me this would help them out considerably. I knew what was needed and told him that I would bring the parts with the car and he agreed that it would save time and money. I feel that you are right that some mechanics don't like when you bring in your own parts but it seems to be up to the individual mechanic. I also think that it depends on the person, I know what I needed to purchase, some people don't and that is when it becomes a headache for the indy...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^ Me too. Lot of assumptions there regarding Porsche owners, not to mention shop owners and their rides. The indy I use to wrench on my Audi A3 has boats, ATV's and a ranch in East TX where he hunts boar and he rides around in a brand new Toyota truck that cost more than my 'garage queen' 993.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

It depends on what the part is. My mechanic (www.gtperformanceinc.com) allows customers to provide parts, a terrific option since I am often very specific about what I want or maybe the part is a used piece or one that I picked up on Rennlist such as my RS LWF or my Guards LSD. If something is broken (rare in the case of my car), I'll let my shop find the part and won't bother to shop the price, for I know he'll be very fair about what he charges.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Just ask your shop. The shops I work with are fine with my providing the parts since it's less work for them. I suspect that their markup typically just covers their time procuring the parts, which explains why they don't care one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Bringing self purchased parts to indy?