Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
N
But I'll take your advice and think about Jesus.
LOL.

Personally I think Rennlist is doing a brilliant job with their business model and i'm not being sarcastic. Not only do they have people paying for something that is free almost everywhere else, they have people wanting to pay for something that is free almost everywhere else, and are so passionate about doing just that. It's smart.

I've never felt bothered by any advertising anywhere else, and i can't remember any forum I've frequented which bothered me with pop-ups.

I'm on tons of forums for many of my hobbies and this is the first forum in which I've felt discriminated against for not donating money.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam5oh
Wow... I know this has been a contested topic before but this is the most I've seen anyone dive into it. My $.02: I have been on car forums since 1997 and have watched them evolve into what they are today. When I first joined Rennlist, I gladly became a member, even though I thought it was strange that this was the first place that I ever felt pressured to do so. I enjoyed the OT board and browsing the classifieds was fun, but when it came time to renew, I passed. I wouldn't miss the $17, and I'm sure IB doesn't miss my $17, but it was a matter of principle. I saw mods on the OT board getting very overzealous and banning people, which left a bad taste in my mouth. The ads became more frequent, ownership transferred from John, and I just didn't feel like those were activities that I wanted to support.
At the same time, having seen lots of other forums, I can say that the community here is far above and beyond others out there - but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the fact that there is an optional membership fee. And to hear someone compare being a user to being someone that doesn't pay taxes?!? Beyond ridiculous.
Are you kidding us? "More Frequent" ads? (I see one up top-that's all there ever is) Overzealous mods? (The "wild west" needs Marshalls and/or Sheriffs to keep law and order-any OT section on any forum needs to be kept somewhat under control-I stay out of OT to keep my sanity)

Again, as an observation, you do not seem to be much of a participant here with 47 posts in 3 or 4 years. Not that is a problem, it's just that you're probably looking at this from a dramatically different viewpoint than the majority here.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I just went on 6 Speed....there are more than 60 ads on the pages. There are currently 5 people viewing the 993 section. Seems pretty much like an inverse situation to what we have here. Currently 79 viewing and 1 ad. I DO get bothered by excessive advertising. I'm at the point now where my attention span is too short to watch most ad-based TV. We typically DVR what we want and zip thru the commercials. Most anything free that is internet-related is littered with crap.

Then on the Pelican 993 (&964 Forum), there are 11 viewing and 6 posts this day. I have no problem with Pelican-for a 911, it is the place to go, and I've spent lots of money there on Ruby. It is there to support a company, and again, only has one banner at the top.

Puhlease...for a 993 owner or prospective owner, this is pretty much Nirvana, as the majority here have pointed out. I spend 4 years of membership to fill up my tank these days, or on a half decent lunch at an airport.

PS- the crack about the egg on the face was hilarious
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
No, I'm a multi-millionaire who's married to a mute nymphomaniac whose father owns a pub.
Does she have a sister...preferably younger
Old 03-25-2011, 02:08 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like being a 'member' here. I wish John and Jen still ran the place though.....
Old 03-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this has been an entertaining posting. To pay or not to pay, that is the question. I for one chose to pay for my membership for a great forum. I am fully retired and enjoy helping others where able and in turn learn from others by increasing my knowledge base. The $17.00 is cheap entertainment and the back and forth banter helps keep me in perspective of how others rationalize their ideas. A user vs member means nothing to me as long as the information is correct and helpful.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I give users a long rope, but c'mon, if you go over 1,000 posts without joining as a member you're a schnorrer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnorrer

And I love to report 'for sale' ads by users or non-sponsor 'shilling' posts. And I tastefully suggest to members who mention a friend with a car for sale that they encourage the seller to pony up a membership to RL if they get a sale through here.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

I find it so funny that the area above a person's avatar would list your status as a "Rennlist Member".

Or the status based on a number of posts: Addict, Super User, User, etc.As if the number of posts is a measure of something.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:08 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The only contribution that matters is how you treat the other people on this forum....and $17 does not give someone the right to become IB's membership police.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Yup, click on the word sponsors at the upper right of any page of the forum.

best,
So Bob or anyone who knows, what is the monthly cost to become a sponsor/vendor?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
The only contribution that matters is how you treat the other people on this forum....and $17 does not give someone the right to become IB's membership police.
+1 x 10^10.

How true!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<If you have more than, say, 100 posts and you're a still a user, you're just a user>

What a load of cack, Goofball. I bought a "lifetime" membership in PorscheFans to help start it up back in the mid 90s. You know, after Stan Hanks ran off with our donated money for a new server and shut down Porschephiles. Then when PorscheList took over from PorscheFans, my lifetime membership somehow disappeared. My guess is you weren't around back then...

I started going to Pelican instead as the longhood 911 forum there is more frequented, but when I bought my 993 I rejoined and ponied up for a Rennlist membership. I paid until John sold out to Internet Brands and I started seeing MotorMeister banner ads. This offended some people, but I was OK with the sellout and change of business model. IB runs this site as a profit making business based on ad revenue, so IB obviously does not need or care about my membership dues as John did.

>You own a Porsche. Don't enforce the stereotype.

What...the one about the difference between a Porsche owner and a porcupine? If you are the one who posts the "why aren't you a member" after all of the for sale or wanted posts by non-members, you sir are perpetuating that one.

>The only contribution that matters is how you treat the other people on this forum....and $17 does not give someone the right to become IB's membership police.

Could not be better said.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who think Rennlist will be overrun with ads if IB doesn't collect a $17 yearly membership fee fail to understand the current business model (and I guess never will). They are living in the 1990's when sites needed a membership fee to sustain. Facebook isn't worth $50b because of business membership fees or the few crappy ads posted on "users" pages.

This reminds me of when 996 owners refused to believe that one day the 993s would be worth more than their cars. That day came and so will the day when "members" will finally see the light. Until that day, I remain
Egg in face

Originally Posted by midnite993
<If you have more than, say, 100 posts and you're a still a user, you're just a user>

What a load of cack, Goofball. I bought a "lifetime" membership in PorscheFans to help start it up back in the mid 90s. You know, after Stan Hanks ran off with our donated money for a new server and shut down Porschephiles. Then when PorscheList took over from PorscheFans, my lifetime membership somehow disappeared. My guess is you weren't around back then...

I started going to Pelican instead as the longhood 911 forum there is more frequented, but when I bought my 993 I rejoined and ponied up for a Rennlist membership. I paid until John sold out to Internet Brands and I started seeing MotorMeister banner ads. This offended some people, but I was OK with the sellout and change of business model. IB runs this site as a profit making business based on ad revenue, so IB obviously does not need or care about my membership dues as John did.

>You own a Porsche. Don't enforce the stereotype.

What...the one about the difference between a Porsche owner and a porcupine? If you are the one who posts the "why aren't you a member" after all of the for sale or wanted posts by non-members, you sir are perpetuating that one.

>The only contribution that matters is how you treat the other people on this forum....and $17 does not give someone the right to become IB's membership police.

Could not be better said.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An idea for a new poll: "Do Porsche owners have more money than sense?"
Old 03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
An idea for a new poll: "Do Porsche owners have more money than sense?"
Other options to the poll could be:

"Do Porsche owners have more cents than sense?"

"Do Porsche owners have more cents than money?"

"Do Porsche owners have more nonsense than cents?"

Okay, I better stop this nonsense before I incense the monied folks.

Quick Reply: Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.