Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/622990-why-being-a-rennlist-member-as-a-opposed-to-a-user-matters.html)

goofballdeluxe 03-19-2011 02:17 PM

Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.

After the umpteenth debate over advantages/disadvantages regarding the value of upgrading from being a user to a Rennlist Member, I posted a version of this on another thread. Someone suggested I start a new thread, so here it is.

First off, I know all the arguments pro/con about becoming, or not becoming a member.

Now, call me "old school", but I was raised with the notion that if you use something and get something of value out of it, you grease the wheels and make sure you give back. The loss of this quaint ideal is one of the reason our country went to ****.

It's called "accountability".

Sure, you can take and take and use for free in this life, or you can be a class act and give a little back. In this case, giving back means becoming a member. It's a paltry sum, and more than fair.

Especially if you're an active user.

If you own several cars and balk at paying a token gesture to become an active member here, it makes you appear to be a selfish adult, and that's pathetic. Believe it our not, the world wasn't created so you could take, and we already have enough selfish folks. What we lack in this society, and what we need more of, are men who do the right thing. If you use something, pay a little for it. Sheesh.

I don't expect most under the age of 30 to be familiar with the concept of it not being all about what you can take, and more about what you can give back, but trust me, it's a good one.

If you have more than, say, 100 posts and you're a still a user, you're just a user. Man up, and spend the few bucks.

You own a Porsche. Don't enforce the stereotype.

e3photo 03-19-2011 02:29 PM

Well said.:thumbup:

Emerald

Quadcammer 03-19-2011 02:38 PM

Its actually not really accountability, its the free rider problem.

That said, the value here to me is not the site itself. The value is the people who post here. That collective knowledge is what gives this place value.

Now, the way that value is paid back is not with a $17 membership, but rather with the free exchange of information.

If I need help on something, I ask, people help. If someone else needs help and I have information that is useful, I freely share it.

That is not "take take take" but rather "share share share".

I'd much rather pay $17 to further p-car diy or pcarworkshop.

Lets say nobody paid the membership and this site shut down.

We'd all move to pelican (where there is no paid membership IIRC), and the free flow of information continues, ultimately providing the same value.

Obviously the $17 is not cost prohibitive to many if any of the people here, but quite frankly, I think its ridiculous to be berated for not wanting to pay for membership. If it was crucial, it would be mandatory.

Quadcammer 03-19-2011 02:44 PM

To add further.

Running this site costs money, there is no hiding that.

However, by increasing our collective knowledge (through the above mentioned sharing), we attract further users to enter this site, and few the advertising. While I'm unsure of the click through percentage, us using this site adds value to IB.

Ed Hughes 03-19-2011 02:46 PM

I view the $17 as cheap insurance to keep from getting hit with popup ads and have to look at a bunch of flashing ads all overthe sides of the screen. A simple ribbon ad at the top is pretty low key. Everyone here has made the $17 many times over in help with their cars.

So, I'm with goofball on this-member up.

rusty993 03-19-2011 02:55 PM

I consider myself to be a lurker here, not posting very often. But I am a member. It's such a great resource of user created, specific content that's worth far more in entertainment value to me than the annual fee. It's somewhere I go to each day, multiple times.

timothymoffat 03-19-2011 03:01 PM

Agreed. Nothing of substance is free or easy. $17 is a small price to pay.

got*ki 03-19-2011 03:08 PM

Everyone, stop using byte space that I paid for...:thumbup:

Personally, I like it for the "Member -> Member For Sale Section".

To each his own.

Chuck W. 03-19-2011 03:08 PM

I felt much better about paying my dues when it was owned and operated by John. It is now just a big business operation. That said, I'll continue to support the site by paying dues due to the fact that I have benefited in so many ways from the site.

deadhead1960 03-19-2011 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 8397659)
I think its ridiculous to be berated for not wanting to pay for membership

Referring back to the other thread, nobody berated anyone into becoming a member; it was a respectful suggestion. If you had not commented on a suggestion, from one member to the OP, the thread would have stayed on topic.

Participants who are users can certainly rationalize (to themselves and others) as to why they choose not to become a member. However given the token cost, I think we can all agree that "financial" isn't one of them. I think a good analogy is the voluntary or suggested entrance fee to many museums. Those that choose not to pay (regardless of ability) may justify their actions by saying that their $10 or $15 contribution has no individual impact on the total operating budget of the museum, or that the museum is primarily funded by grants and "since I already pay taxes," in effect I am already subsidizing the institution.

And like the commercial says, "membership has it's privileges."

No HTwo O 03-19-2011 03:21 PM

What I think is one of the best parts about the "Membership" status vs. the "User" status is when transacting purchases/sales.

The few things I've sold on Rennlist, went very-very well. I shipped every transaction prior to receiving payment, and every payment I accepted and agreed to, was with a personal check. I did this because I trusted the members and Rennlist. They had "skin in the game" to follow through. As did I, to protect my reputation.

I've even had members send me stuff, for FREE, because I was looking for the item. Thanks, Kurt M!!!

Regardless, if Quadcammer wanted something, I'd send it to him, and wait for a personal check too. He's gained the trust of the Forum, was a Member in the past, and he drives a 993TT!:)

I agree with a lot of the posts above too.

J.Graham 03-19-2011 06:36 PM

Just having quadcammer on this site adds enough entertainment value to pay for a membership.

cabrio993 03-19-2011 06:44 PM

People that drive their 993's without going over 3K RPMS don't need to pay for membership. They are used to getting only half of what they have.

goofballdeluxe 03-19-2011 06:48 PM

Quad is only 27. He's allowed to not get the big picture.

I take some consolation in the fact that he, and others in his generation, will be saddled with the massive debt the U.S. has incurred by that very same myopic thinking.

No HTwo O 03-19-2011 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by cabrio993 (Post 8398144)
People that drive their 993's without going over 3K RPMS don't need to pay for membership. They are used to getting only half of what they have.

"I drive flat out, that's how I drive, flat out!"

So, I pay double membership fees.:)