Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

At the end of the day, we're talking about all of $17. And yet not really.

There are many things in life I can get for free if I want. Like music. I don't really need to pay for it anymore. I can get it all for free on the internet these days. Movies, too. Also, I'm not morally or legally obligated to tip any of the myriad people of service people I come into contact with all the time, such as waitresses, bellhops, valets, mailman, housekeepers etc etc etc.

But I choose to pay for things that I can often get for free, because I believe that anything that brings value into my world, I want to reciprocate and contribute to, as they've contributed to adding value to my life. Especially if it's only $17, and it's a place like Rennlist. I get tons of value here. And only $17 for all that value?

Some say, well, it's owned by a corporation now. Some say, I can get it for free why would I pay. Some say Rennlist is no different than any other board and if it shuts I'll just go to another Porsche board.

And some have absolutely no problem paying $17 for Rennlist, because they value this place and I want to keep it just as it is. There's probably no better way to say that, especially to a corporation, than by paying the $17 for a membership.

But you see, this isn't really about $17. It’s more about supporting a unique and terrific community that provides much for very, very little.

Or free, if you don’t agree.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

There are many things in life I can get for free if I want. Like music. I don't really need to pay for it anymore. I can get it all for free on the internet these days. Movies, too. Also, I'm not morally or legally obligated to tip any of the myriad people of service people I come into contact with all the time, such as waitresses, bellhops, valets, mailman, housekeepers etc etc etc.

But I choose to pay for things that I can often get for free, because I believe that anything that brings value into my world, I want to reciprocate and contribute to, as they've contributed to adding value to my life. Especially if it's only $17, and it's a place like Rennlist. I get tons of value here. And only $17 for all that value?

Some say, well, it's owned by a corporation now. Some say, I can get it for free why would I pay. Some say Rennlist is no different than any other board and if it shuts I'll just go to another Porsche board.

And some have absolutely no problem paying $17 for Rennlist, because they value this place and I want to keep it just as it is. There's probably no better way to say that, especially to a corporation, than by paying the $17 for a membership.

But you see, this isn't really about $17. It’s more about supporting a unique and terrific community that provides much for very, very little.

You have a great way with words.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - that just about says it all. Nice write-up.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

You support the company by giving your money. You support the community by giving your knowledge.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
You support the company by giving your money. You support the community by giving your knowledge.
It IS that simple.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It IS that simple.
Exactly! Also, I beg to differ that this site is free. We all pay because the advertisers get a share of our eyeball time. Rennlist is free just like Google, Facebook, Linked In, etc. are free. How many here would voluntarily pay $17 to Facebook? The fact is the people who frequent this site are a very valuable demographic and the advertisers get good value in getting access to us. I'm happy to glance their way and even patronize them when it's appropriate but to pay $17 in addition to that is gilding the lilly. Sorry but it's not a tip, it's additional profit margin; and we're not talking about a minimum wage earning waitress but rather a business. To their full credit IB makes paying the fee optional so I certainly don't fault them, quite the contrary. Based on the numbers who do pay twice, and obviously happily so, I think there's a streak of business genius there.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly.I sometimes worry about the state of society when people rationalize donating money to a multi-billion dollar company for the "good of the community." To liken it to stealing music is just ridiculous (or to use proper internet terminology "rediculous").

Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
Exactly.I sometimes worry about the state of society when people rationalize donating money to a multi-billion dollar company for the "good of the community." To liken it to stealing music is just ridiculous (or to use proper internet terminology "rediculous").
Yeah, I'm sure Heineken or Stone Brewery, and Hoyo de Monterey (Habano) make enough money without my contributions, but I do it anyway.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

What about people signing up and paying $17 just to sell a car? I am sure there are sales guys working at dealerships who would benefit from that move? The dealership has their own marketing avenues and would not be interested in being a sponsor. I am talking about a sales guy working on commission trying to be creative.

Where does one draw the line?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Members can advertise personal property. A business needs to be a paid sponsor. There is one dealer/sponsor on here but not very active sadly.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
A business needs to be a paid sponsor.
Bob, is there a listing of those paid sponsors anywhere on this forum?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
It IS that simple.
+1
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

1. Also, I'm not morally or legally obligated to tip any of the myriad people of service people I come into contact with all the time, such as waitresses, bellhops, valets, mailman, housekeepers etc etc etc.

2. But I choose to pay for things that I can often get for free, because I believe that anything that brings value into my world, I want to reciprocate and contribute to, as they've contributed to adding value to my life. Especially if it's only $17, and it's a place like Rennlist. I get tons of value here. And only $17 for all that value?

3. Some say Rennlist is no different than any other board and if it shuts I'll just go to another Porsche board.

4.But you see, this isn't really about $17. It’s more about supporting a unique and terrific community that provides much for very, very little.
I've number your posts for ease of response.

1. those people are providing you with a service. Let say you were a knowledgeable trader, and instead of giving them $3, you gave them advice about a great mutual fund/stock/whatever. Both, to me, are considered "giving something back".

lets put it this way. If I ask a question on a forum, I would much rather get useful advice than someone sending me $17. The point is that by answering questions and helping others, I ADD value, just like everyone here (at least most people add value).

Rennlist has ZERO value...if nobody views it or posts here. The individuals who view and post here are what create the value. And if you say my contributions aren't worth anything, than whose are?

2.You get value from other posters, not from rennlist itself. Think of how desirable this place is to advertisers. Its filled with a bunch of middle aged guys with high incomes (and more importantly disposable income). Rennlist would absolutely exist without the membership fee, but importantly, as I mentioned before, it would have zero value if no one looked at it.

3. If rennlist closes, whats gonna happen? Is everyone here gonna say, ok, well I'm done with internet porsche discussion. No, most likely everyone would go to pelican or 6 speed, and you'd have the same value.

4. To think $17 buys community is BS. If you ignore the corporation aspect, the $17 buys you a place to post, which is free many places.

example:

When you go to a carshow, GTG, whatever, do you pay the establishment to use their parking lot? Or do some people just buy some food item or similar (quite similar to advertisers really).

Further, if starbucks says you can't use their lot anymore, and you have to move to dunkin donuts, is there less value or enjoyment from the gathering? Rennlist is merely a venue.

100%

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Exactly! Also, I beg to differ that this site is free. We all pay because the advertisers get a share of our eyeball time. The fact is the people who frequent this site are a very valuable demographic and the advertisers get good value in getting access to us. I'm happy to glance their way and even patronize them when it's appropriate but to pay $17 in addition to that is gilding the lilly.
absolutely. How else would you catch the eye of basically only well off individuals who generally like to spend money?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

2.You get value from other posters, not from rennlist itself. Think of how desirable this place is to advertisers. Its filled with a bunch of middle aged guys with high incomes (and more importantly disposable income). Rennlist would absolutely exist without the membership fee, but importantly, as I mentioned before, it would have zero value if no one looked at it.
Yep, let's turn this place upside down. Popups, flashing ads all over. Some of us will be able to save the $17, which may be keeping some of those great ads off the site.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

........it makes you appear to be a selfish adult, and that's pathetic. Believe it our not, the world wasn't created so you could take......
........If you have more than, say, 100 posts and you're a still a user, you're just a user.......
Been around here for near on 10 years, and never seen the likes that crap dished up !!
Reminds me of the discriminatory "demeanour" of other forums.

Yeah, I don’t post much, but what this "pathetic …. just a user" has posted has been generally on topics that I can hopefully offer a genuine contribution or assistance.

Quick Reply: Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.