Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:44 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

If Rennlist had a "like" button, I push it right about now...

...7 year member. Love this place!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mind paying to be a member, but unlike the old days when we appreciated what he was doing and we paid John to run the site, I now have no idea where the money goes, or if they even need it.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I view membership like taxes. I am proud to pay my taxes....that pays for the roads I drive my 993 on, and the school my daughter attends. I wish that my tax money gave me as much effecient payback as the $17 per year I spend here. (Please no tax debates or politics...it's just the IDEA of pay for what you get)

and, I do GET from this site...every upgrade...several new freinds...(some "real" and some "virtual" )...but this site has been an important part of my life and I am proud to pay for it...even if it is for someone's profit. More power to them! (I respect profit...again, part of how I got a Porsche!)
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

well said.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
granted, yet at the same time, I'm not coming to the museum with a piece of art and hanging it on the wall for others to enjoy.
Which is another way of saying that some people excel in justifying their arguments in any way possible.

Sigh.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I view membership like taxes. I am proud to pay my taxes....that pays for the roads I drive my 993 on, and the school my daughter attends. I wish that my tax money gave me as much effecient payback as the $17 per year I spend here. (Please no tax debates or politics...it's just the IDEA of pay for what you get)

and, I do GET from this site...every upgrade...several new freinds...(some "real" and some "virtual" )...but this site has been an important part of my life and I am proud to pay for it...even if it is for someone's profit. More power to them! (I respect profit...again, part of how I got a Porsche!)
I am in a posting mood tonight

The tax analogy doesnt work here. The site is run by a corporation, there are many other companies that are sponsors/advertisers and they benefit from us as we purchase things from them. I am all for this by the way, I love free enterprise. It's a little like paying taxes twice actually, assuming you are buying fair amounts of gear also. Again, I dont personally mind that, because I joined and started paying back when it was John D., and the amount is so trivial that I am not bothered at all by it.

And by the way, if we put rennlist sponsoring companies in charge of taking 30%+ of your income and using it to maintain the public good, they would do an INFINITELY better job than the US government... sorry couldnt help it!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just glad I am in the 30% bracket and can afford to pay $17 for a whole lot of greatness. I see your point...I just feel like the law of fair exchange applies here. Whoever gets my money at RL INC. doesn't matter that much. I wish it was someone I knew but in the end I pay a little and get a lot back. If no one payed, RL would not be here.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

People don't take for granted or care for something they don't pay for...at least in my estimation.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:15 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I am in a posting mood tonight

...because I joined and started paying back when it was John D., and the amount is so trivial that I am not bothered at all by it....
And like you, as I'm too in the posting mood....

I just wanted to thank you for your post....

Yep, you have the the same view I do - and did - when Jen and I first put up memberships, in, well 1999???

Anyway, it wasn't and still is not about the money...???

It is all about the community...

$17 is - and was then in 1999 - about half a tank of gas.

But it was - and is - a token of appreciation for the community.

That is all it was. And that too - today - is all it is...

Just from my end of the telescope..

John
Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm not getting something for nothing here. I pay for advice by returning advice/tips/diys/and spirited conversion about rpms
I would argue (tongue in cheek of course) that individually your advice adds no value to this site. The value is in the collective responses and the validation we give each other. Therefore if you understand this premise, then you are in fact getting something for nothing. The same argument holds true when people claim that voting is a waste of time and resources, given that your lone vote has no meaning in the outcome of an election. And yet many people do vote. Therefore voting and paying membership dues to a forum that you are an active participant, may not justify itself, however it is the responsible thing to do.

Last edited by deadhead1960; 03-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Which is another way of saying that some people excel in justifying their arguments in any way possible.

Sigh.
yes, everybody justifies what they do. The value proposition is different for everyone. I personally feel that I contribute and get it back in return...hence no need for the membership fee.

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I would argue (tongue in cheek of course) that individually your advice adds no value to this site. The value is in the collective responses and the validation we give each other. Therefore if you understand this premise, then you are in fact getting something for nothing. The same argument holds true when people claim that voting is a waste of time and resources, given that your lone vote has no meaning in the outcome of an election. And yet many people do vote. Therefore voting and paying membership dues to a forum that you are an active participant, may not justifying itself, however it is the responsible thing to do.
I disagree to some extent. Yes the collective responses can be extremely valuable. On the other hand, my input, your input, steve weiner's input etc can be individually valuable. If the question is "How do I remove/reinstall 993 injectors" and I/steve/you respond with instructions, that is direct value.

That is where your voting analogy breaks down. My lone input can be tremendously valuable if I possess the knowledge that someone needs. My singular vote is unable to be viewed and influential by itself.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

You need to re-read post 40.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It might cost him too much money.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
how so?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

You keep focusing on individual contributions. The underlying point in deadhead's post identifies that there would be no individual contributions if we didn't have a healthy community.

Quick Reply: Why being a Rennlist member, as a opposed to a user, matters.