Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody help a guy suffering from CRS out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Question Can somebody help a guy suffering from CRS out?

Ok, so the new to me car has arrived! At some point in it's 15 yr old life a PO replaced the spoiler with a TurboS tail. When they did this an extra support strut was not added, but at some point in the past I recall seeing a double support strut set for just this application but being older, I can't remember where I saw it or who was selling it. Am I going nuts or does anyone else remember this part?

A couple of requiste pics - fresh off the truck - 1996 TipS fairly basic set-up but engine numbers came back in the right zone (180 to 185 psi) to overlook the minuses (chrome twist rims, manual seats, arm rest lid warpage)
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2011, 11:19 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car...congrats. If you get tired of the fixed spoiler I got an extra retractable one
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice ride,

forget the double strut.
Those big wings don't look right on the NB cars. Search for a oem C2S split grill, then lower that bad boy.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-2011, 12:54 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well that's not exactly a turbo S tail, but if you want a Speed Yellow stock decklid I've got the one from the faux RS.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

It just doesn't look clean with that wing. As a fellow yellow cab owner... I really don't like the wing. Other than that and wheels - looks like a nice clean cab.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new car, looks nice! I agree about the chrome wheels as a matter of personal taste. The wing--not sold on the Aerokit I wing, but everyone likes something different. As far as manual seats, I wouldn't view this as a negative--it is really only the fore-aft movement and the recline adjustment that is manual (my wife feels the car is a little too raw for her, so I am the only driver of it--no worries about adjusting the seats ).
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
craig001
Drifting

Thanks for the comments - the bright yellow is growing on me. I did not see the car in person until the trailer door came down Tuesday. I have to give props to Reggie Willis Transport LLC and M&O Motors. I put the request in on Saturday and they car was here in four days - whew! Enclosed trailer no less. Having a Tip is new to me as well. Does not seem to accelerate or shift that crisply but a tranny flush, filter and fill is in the cards along with my usual post purchase chores - oil change, brakes including rotors, caps wires and plugs and belts. I may go to the RS single belt set-up since I all ready have the part. I need to get the fronter splitters I got earlier from another Rennlister painted yellow now - just love doing things twice.

The PO supplied the retractable spoiler with the car. I have not unwrapped it to see how it looks. Also, I don't know how bunged up the decklid is under the current spoiler.

They also left a pair of home modded Cosco kid seats where they cut out the side facing the rear seat divider if anyone is interested.

The chrome wheels are outta here shortly - a set of Targa rims with p-rosso's are my combo of choice - they have been on three of my past cars. Lowering is coming, I have a set of H$R/Bilteins along with Monoballs mounts and my old RUF strut brace. The slippery slope for me is like stepping out of the Cessna 182 and waiting to pull the ripcord. Have any of you used Suncoast? They have the windstop in stock so I am putting my want now order today.

But you don't like the spoiler? What about a GT (might be an RS) that I have in my garage? Needs painted to match though as it is painterd Guards Red right now. Was purchased along with another decklid (can't remember the color - it hasn't been out of the shipping box since I got it, LOL - I am a sad sack!) to go on my legally constipated 95C4 - sigh.

Also do you guys think it is going to a majot to trouble shoot the lock/alarm system? The car soes not lock/unlock using the remote. Something else the PPI failed to inform me about - so I would not recommend Omega Motors in Jacksonville for inspections - they really need to get a standard form and follow it.

Oh yeah, my Savanah Biege GT3 seats are up on eBay right now because this car has a black interior. And lastly, anyone know where I can pick up an OBD II cable for my Bosch Hammer or if it will even work with this car?
Old 03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car love the color, I have a black 95 cab with a turbo tail on it and I personally like the look better then wingless. Go with what you like. Welcome to the club.........enjoy
Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Ok, so the new to me car has arrived! At some point in it's 15 yr old life a PO replaced the spoiler with a TurboS tail. When they did this an extra support strut was not added, but at some point in the past I recall seeing a double support strut set for just this application but being older, I can't remember where I saw it or who was selling it. Am I going nuts or does anyone else remember this part?
)

that's not a "turbo S" rear wing, looks more like an aftermarket aerokit I.
you're not crazy, they do make a double strut configuration, but it was designed for early 911s, not 964 / 993.

my vote = dump the wing and go back to motorized spoiler config.

enjoy your car.
cheers

Craig
Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats. Nice cab. Yellow is one of my favorites.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:08 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just add gt2 RS splitters and add aero sides and the wing will work. That is not a turbo s wing as it doesn't have the underside vents. Could it be a stock wing ?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
Just add gt2 RS splitters and add aero sides and the wing will work. That is not a turbo s wing as it doesn't have the underside vents. Could it be a stock wing ?
I hope you're kidding
Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Craig!!! Finally a 993 you can drive

I have never seen the double tube setup but the HD ones I bought last year are really strong, I have to hold my hand down on the decklid before popping the lid or it will spring up really fast. They might do the trick with the big tail, I think I got them from Pelican, I'll dig through the receipts tonight if you want.

I was not planning to go on the STLPCA drive this weekend but if there is a new 993 in the area I may have to change my plans, are you planning on going with the new ride?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big wing on a narrow body car seems to overwhelm the visual balance so I'd have to agree with the above comments.

As far as acceleration goes if you're not familiar with the tip you might not know it starts out by default in second gear. Why I don't know 'cause it only has four speeds to begin with so this make it essentially a 3-speed. You can manually start the car in first using the tip feature which will help the car feel more responsive or, I understand if you put the car in 3rd, it looks at this as a "sport" position and will also start in first and shift automaticlly up to third, then you just go to "Drive" when you want fourth.

Anyway, congrats on the car, great color. Always had a soft spot for SY.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 PM
craig001
Drifting

Hey Erik.

I won't be at the drive - working a 20 hour day Saturday then coming home for three hours and back for my regular 8 hour shift. So by 11.30a I will be counting sheep - if the Dane lets me LOL. It is nice having a car I can actually drive - that's a fact. The 95 is still winding though the legal system - unbelieveable that it's this difficult to get things right when I all the paperwork you could ask for. But this car was had to pass on but there are some things I will be addressing with all the parts I have stockpiled. The GT3 seats have hit reserve on eBay so the will be going to a new home and then I'll figure out what to get to put in this car. I forgot how much fun it was to move seats around with those damn seat bolts, In the immortal words of Charlie Brown - ArgHHHH. But the rollbar has to go in and Kent stopped working on p-cars and this car needs a tranny filter fluid change.

Quick Reply: Can somebody help a guy suffering from CRS out?