Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barney is here! FS: 1996 C2 - Sport Seats, Litronics, LSD and Fister StageII

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barney is here! FS: 1996 C2 - Sport Seats, Litronics, LSD and Fister StageII

I am selling my 1996 C2. I bought it almost 2 years ago as a “fun car” while I did some work out in the Bay Area because rental cars were getting a little old. I bought it sight-unseen out of Virginia because I had been shopping for a Red/Black/6-Speed car for a while and this one had some great options for a C2. This car has factory (hard back) Sport Seats, Litronics and limited slip diff. These are all options that are on the option tag, NOT something that was added later in life. I added CermaChrome Fister StageII mufflers.

The car is currently showing 96,XXX miles and it needs absolutely nothing! As this was a car that I used to commute to work AND I was 1200 miles from my home/garage/tools (Car was in Oakland and I live in Colorado) it HAD to be dead reliable for me and it did not disappoint. It has never faltered one time and that includes everything from sitting at the airport to road trips back and forth from Colorado to NorCal. It was always driven at least 20 minutes on every outing. I used OEM filters and Mobil-1 V-Twin/Racing (The $10/qt stuff, NOT “regular” Mobil-1) for every oil change. Additionally, I pulled the engine tray off about 5 days after I bought it, as I knew it would sit in CA traffic from time to time. I would (and have), 100%, trust this car to a road trip of any length, right now.

This car could best be described as a “Very Nice Driver”. The paint is in very good shape and I have been over it multiple times this past year with my Flex orbital buffer and 1Z polishes and wax. All the panels line up perfectly and there isn’t a single door ding anywhere on the car! I have had the headlights out, the truck carpeting out, and the interior door panels off and there isn’t a single sign of any damage, body work, tape lines or repaint anywhere on the car. I firmly believe the paint is all original.

The only downside is the nose of the car has quite a few rock chips. Like I said, this is a “driver” and in my opinion, rock chips are part of that definition. The headlight lenses are fairly new though and are clean and clear. Additionally, I had the windshield replaced about 8 months ago! As you know, this is a biggie on a 993’s because it’s a $1000+ bill. It’s also very important that this job is done correctly or they will leak and/or squeak. This one was done by Action Auto Glass in Concord, CA. They were highly recommended by several people here on Rennlist as a glass company that that has done multiple 993 windshields with great success.

The interior on this car is about as close to mint as you can get. Absolutely no cracks in any of the leather or dash and no seams splitting or coming apart! The leather is still extremely soft and supple. It is a REALLY beautiful interior for 14 years old and 96,XXX miles! Every gauge and idiot light works 100% and EVERY light bulb and switch work perfectly! The biggest thing that is “wrong” with the interior would be the driver’s side REAR seat belt doesn’t retract.

The car is currently in Colorado (Denver Metro area) and it made the last trip home to address the infamous check engine light for SAI. The check engine light had been on for about 6 months with the dreaded SAI fault. A little investigation turned up 2 blocked air ports. So, with assistance of some great write-ups on Rennlist, I JUST cleaned out all the SAI ports. The check engine light is now off and it should pass a smog inspection anywhere! It is using very minimal oil in-between 4k mile oil changes and does not smoke AT ALL (cold or hot).

While I was “in there” with the headers off for the SAI ports, I installed one brand new lower valve cover (Warped) and all the gaskets for both lower valve covers. I replaced all 4 oil return tubes with Genuine Porsche collapsible return tubes. They are MUCH more expensive than their aftermarket counterpart, but they don’t leak. If you have ever done this job before, you can appreciate how important it is that they don’t leak!

I also found that the oil cooler had a slight leak and it looks like it has been that way for a while as there was a nice collection of “gunk” up in the right front corner of the nose. I had no interest in going to the trouble of pulling the cooler, trying to find the leak and then hoping it could be fixed correctly, so I simply bought a brand new one from Porsche. Problem solved. Additionally, I did an oil change with 10/40 Mobil 1 “Racing” and a pair of OEM filters. Since the cooler was brand new, that basically means that EVERY drop of oil in the system is nice and fresh (I put a hair over 12 quarts in it).

Additional "noteables":

Brand new, Genuine Porsche, Spoiler Wall just installed.

Brake pads are about 75-80% all around. The rotors have a small lip, but nothing I would worry about.

Fabspeed air box cover makes for some GREAT intake noise too! Stock air box cover included.

The dealer I bought it from did distributor caps, rotors, plugs and plug wires DAYS before I bought it, so they are all relatively new. I pulled the lower plugs when I had the lower valve covers off and they looked great.

When I bought the car, I got ONE original switchblade key and it was working intermittently (immobilizer). So, I bought TWO brand new fob-style remotes and TWO brand new keys from Porsche. They were reprogrammed to the car, so the car now has 3 functioning keys and remotes. We all know how important this is in both function and cost.

Brand new, spare DME relay in the glovebox (just in case).

ALL tools, jack and air compressor are present and accounted for.

I changed the gearbox oil about 7 months ago with Redline 75w90NS.

I replaced the cassette holder with the simple tray.
I put new Kuhmo Z-rated tires on it about a year ago. I installed the OEM sized 255’s in the rear, but went up to 225’s in the front. Fronts currently have about 85% tread remaining and the rears have about 50% remaining. You would easily get another summer out of the rears and probably 2 or 3 summers out of the fronts.

This was originally a Canadian car, so it has the rear child seat anchor points that were required by Canadian law.

BEFORE YOU ASK: I have no idea when/if the clutch or top end rebuild have been done. The clutch isn’t slipping and feels fine, so I didn’t do it. The car doesn’t smoke or use unusual amounts of oil, so I saw no need to tear the top end down. They MAY have been done at some point, but I have no proof, so please assume that they have not.

I absolutely would NOT be selling this car if it weren’t for the recent acquisition of Barney. I enjoy the heck out of it and looked for a C2 in this color combo with these options for a long time! If you are looking for a Garage queen you will NOT want this car. If you are looking for a very nice car, with some very rare options, that has had some key maintenance items addressed, has been maintained very well and that you can drive and enjoy (Guilt free), I think this is the car for you. I have all receipts for everything I did to the car. I also have some of the receipts from the cars past, but certainly not everything.

Asking $24,000/obo. Clean & clear Colorado title, in my name, in my possession and ready to sign over to the new owner. As an added bonus, delivery in-between Denver, CO and San Francisco, CA (or some point in-between) is a very real possibility for a SERIOUS buyer. If this is something you desire, let’s talk.

All pictures were taken within the last week

Last edited by BLT4SPD; 03-15-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:46 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

a great little carrera! simple and hot color!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Too funny you've taken it back from Oakland!

I hate to think that I'd contact you for a car like this as a part-out for my GT2 project................
Old 03-15-2011, 02:02 AM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ride, great price. Good luck with the sale!

Can't wait to see 'Barney' running the roads later on......
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
Too funny you've taken it back from Oakland!

I hate to think that I'd contact you for a car like this as a part-out for my GT2 project................
I'll bring it back for you!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:14 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by aircooled
nice ride, great price. Good luck with the sale!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by aircooled

Can't wait to see 'Barney' running the roads later on......
Soon....very very soon.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
awai08
Advanced

Wow, purrty! It looks in great shape. I want.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:47 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

This car shouldnt last long, on the market that is! The high(er) mileage 993's are fabulous if one finds one with what appears to be such as this one!!

Sell the sport seats and you have a $20k 993 coupe ! With the best option #220 as well!!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

[QUOTE=chris walrod;8385199]
Sell the sport seats and you have a $20k 993 coupe !/QUOTE]

Blasphamy I say!

seriously, great looking car, great write-up, spectacular price. Shouldn't last long at that price level.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

PM Sent!

Last edited by Academictech; 03-15-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Now THAT is how to sell a car. LOTS of info and pictures.

Great colour combo with nice options. GLWS!!! (I don't think it will last long.)
Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Deposit sent
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
Deposit sent
WHAT! Red, not Silver...your a wild man.

Congratulations Bart, looks like a great car indeed.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

My kids had the final say on color this time.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:14 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by chris walrod
This car shouldnt last long, on the market that is! !
It would appear you are correct.

Originally Posted by chris walrod

Sell the sport seats and you have a $20k 993 coupe ! With the best option #220 as well!!
Funny, I thought that same thing when I bought it. It seemed like an easy way to get the entry price down in a quick way and for a "commuter car", did I really NEED sport seats? Obviously, I didn't do it and now that I am actually selling the car, I am glad I kept the integrity of the option tag and what is actually in the car.

Quick Reply: Barney is here! FS: 1996 C2 - Sport Seats, Litronics, LSD and Fister StageII