Sponsored by:

TPC supercharger install completed - Long

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Default TPC supercharger install completed - Long

I posted on a couple threads I was having a SC installed over winter. The job is done and I've been able to drive it for a couple days. Thought I'd post my impressions for anyone considering this. Car is 97 C2S - 38K miles.

My goal obviously was more power and rationale went like this. I had considered selling for a turbo. But after driving some I changed my mind. I knew my car and it's history from around 16K miles (bought from original owner), I had modified it the way I wanted. To sell and buy a turbo in the end probalby would have cost a little more to get a similar low mileage car and then modify. But more importantly I didn't get much out of the turbo in street driving in most situations. To really feel a difference from my C2S I had to really be into the pedal: the low midrange was still fairly weak IMO. In partial throttle and most street driving it wasn't that different to me. I wanted more power throughout, less interested in that turbo kick at near WFO. Plus I wanted something a little different. I was keeping the car long term so wasn't concerned about modifying it. I only put around 6K on a year so while a rebuild will come sooner than stock, it should still be a long way off. Anyway, lots of threads on rennlist were very helpful in weighing pros cons and talking with my shop and TPC with appropriate questions.

Sorry for the long build up! Got the car, the final dyno and baseline are below. The pre-dyno was a bit lower than expected but was done with the gas I had stored it with, the post-install was with fresh 93 octane. There was an earlier baseline at around 230hp - probably a more accurate baseline. Also, new plugs wires etc went into the SC build so possible helped. I'd had the big service only 5K ago and the leakdown was excellent at that time. I had the latest version of the TPC SC, intercooler, unichip and cat bypass from fabspeed installed. It already had RSR mufflers and they are still on. I also had some monitoring gauges installed because I'm a bit paranoid - overkill but made me feel better. My shop had done a couple of these intalls and were really great.

Driving the car is amazing: feels like it weighs 1000 pounds less. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. There is more power everywhere and very noticeable from as low as 2500 rpm in real driving. The mid-range and top end are incredible vs. stock - coming off turns just takes gentle throttle and there is much more usable power - get into it seriously and there is just immediate push. Otherwise the car drives the same - no lag, no noticeable change off throttle, just immediate response. The sound combination with RSR and bypass is awesome. Great off throttle burble as well. Immature, but the sound really is great.

I know its only a couple day into it and I know there are those out there that feel there are better ways to do this. But for me, the power increase and the type of power delivery in a car I primarily use on the street with just occasional DE and wanted to keep, it was the perfect solution. Worth the money?? everyone is different there. I was bored with the power of the stock car - to stay in this body shape which is my idea of a porsche, would have cost more, wouldn't have gotten me as much or the type of power I wanted.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 PM
droy3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely beautiful example...love the rims. If I had the means I would certainly consider it.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the install!

My car was the original prototype for the kit and has over 40k hard miles on the package.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 305 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
I'd love to see more pictures of the engine and sc.

thanks

Kevin
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Am I correct in thinking that with that set-up you could run with the stock engine lid? Or do you need the Turbo tail for clearance issues?

Nice ride, by the way!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

All I have to say is that I really miss my TPC SC that was on the RSA...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Am I correct in thinking that with that set-up you could run with the stock engine lid? Or do you need the Turbo tail for clearance issues?

Nice ride, by the way!
I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

Never realized you had the Speedlines on the car either. If I ever wanted to know how they would look on an Arctic Silver WB, I know now.

Are they custom, or you running spacers?

PM me the cost of that TPC SC with install if you would also, curious.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

please add engine pics.
any pics during the install?

and wow! that amount of torque is madness!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

Never realized you had the Speedlines on the car either. If I ever wanted to know how they would look on an Arctic Silver WB, I know now.

Are they custom, or you running spacers?

PM me the cost of that TPC SC with install if you would also, curious.
His signature said kinesis supercups I thought.. I believe Thatcher has a set for sale that would look oh so lovely on that silver C4S of yours. Just a little nudge down the slope..

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 03-13-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

I second the request for total cost of SC. Those are very impressive dyno numbers.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
His signature said kinesis supercups I thought.. I believe Thatcher has a for sale that would look oh so lovely on that silver C4S of yours. Just a little nudge down the slope..
the wheels Thatcher has are waaay too aggressive of an offset for me. I would have to crank in quite a bit more negitive camber in the rears, and probably roll the fenders too. I PM Thatcher early on about the wheels.

While I love the stance of Thatchers car, a DD can't run that much rear camber. I can't afford to replace the rear rubber every 4k miles.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
the wheels Thatcher has are waaay too aggressive of an offset for me. I would have to crank in quite a bit more negitive camber in the rears, and probably roll the fenders too. I PM Thatcher early on about the wheels.

While I love the stance of Thatchers car, a DD can't run that much rear camber. I can't afford to replace the rear rubber every 4k miles.
I don't know how to copy a thread but these wheels are what I mean

Narrowbody Kinesis Supercups 18" 993 fitment

He could probably build them out to have the proper offsets for a WB. I wish I didn't have my RH wheels, I would love these they are the closest copy of speedlines around IMO.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
lizSter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
... with that set-up you could run with the stock engine lid? Or do you need the Turbo tail for clearance issues?
I have '96 C2 that had the TPC installed by previous owner. It has a stock lid but required a small ~3" tab cut out right above the supercharger's pulley. This gives it the 1" or so extra room needed. Doesn't interfere with the wing mechanism but it is right there next to it.

I can take a pic if you want, I just pulled the cover off from the winter and starting to get ready for her first drive of the year in a week or two.

I wish the installer had done a cleaner cut job but really not too noticeable. It's on my list to clean up someday.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by lizSter
I have '96 C2 that had the TPC installed by previous owner. It has a stock lid but required a small ~3" tab cut out right above the supercharger's pulley. This gives it the 1" or so extra room needed. Doesn't interfere with the wing mechanism but it is right there next to it.

I can take a pic if you want, I just pulled the cover off from the winter and starting to get ready for her first drive of the year in a week or two.

I wish the installer had done a cleaner cut job but really not too noticeable. It's on my list to clean up someday.
I'd love to see some pics, please.

I've always loved the power of the Turbo, but I've never been a fan of the whale tail. I also prefer the linear power of a supercharger as opposed to the on/off power that the Turbo provides.

If I could get Turbo power and keep the stock non-tail look, a supercharger might be the way to go...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks guys. I will get some more pics of various parts of the install and post when I do. I already had the wing on because I like the fixed wing better - had an RS style wing first but actually think the turbo wing on the widebody is a better fit.
I think TPC also says you can use the stock decklid, but with a modification as noted in the above post. The pulley and its mount is really what breaks the plane of the deck opening.

For costs, its pretty simple - TPC posts their prices on their site (tpcracing): 7500 for the SC and another 4K for the intercooler. For V-ram cars you need a porsche throttle body I believe (another 700), the cat bypass are what they are. Labor might vary from shop to shop - I think in the range of 3500-4000 from what I read and my own experience would be pretty average guess. My shop had done a few so knew what to expect. They also reenforce the rear motor mount and then I had some other work done. If you are do for a big service I'm sure some of that labor cost could be saved/incorporated.

bill

Quick Reply: TPC supercharger install completed - Long