993 Forum 1995-1998

Vacuum line questions 1995 N-VR

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vacuum line questions 1995 N-VR

I am having difficulty identifying what the correct routing is for the Fresh air vaccum system. I have a vacuum line which enters the engine bay on the left hand side of the engine bay and cannot identifiy what it connects to. ( I believe it is from the climate control)
I also cannot see where the fresh air vacuum originates from. I have a repair manual but it only shows 96 car with vario ram.
Any help would be appreciated.
I
Old 03-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It connects to a X type fitting right under the intake plenum. You can follow the line form the vacuum servo on the heater fan box. There is also a vacuum canister under there, & it's easy to knock off the line to it. That is right under the intake plenum on the drivers side closest to you cylinder.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Timspu
Instructor

Stealth 993,
Thanks fo rthe response. To confirm this tube connects to a X connector. Does this then go to the fresh air valve and then the fresh air valve connects to the line with the check valve installed.
Am i right in saying that all vacuum lines join to the check valve line and only the fuel pressure regulator has a direct connection to the intake manifold.

I think i am lines missing which is why it is difficlut to connect up.
Thanks
TIM
Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Tim, have a look at this pic (scroll as necessary). What lines are you referring to?

Engine Compartment
Old 03-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Timspu
Instructor

In your picture lower left side, the fresh air valve. Where does the vacuum line come from? Is it from the check valve on the intake manifold? Also the solid hose from the climate control. Does this hose link inot the fresh air vacuum lines.
If a schematic is available it would be a great help.
Thanks

TIM
Old 03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Timspu
In your picture lower left side, the fresh air valve. Where does the vacuum line come from?
From the rubber X coupling next to the ignition cable block on the left side of the fan shroud, a solid plastic line connects to a 90 degree rubber elbow that connects the bottom of the solenoid valve (fresh air valve, I guess).

The spigot at the rear of the valve, the one closest to the back of the car, connects via an rubber elbow - plastic tube - rubber elbow to the diaphram. The spigot at the front of the valve just has a 90 degree rubber elbow to ambient air.

I have a few things on the go this hour. If you need more info, get back to me.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Timspu
Instructor

Alex,
Thats a great help thanks.
Now i believe the the X connector connects the cannister to the intake manifold, fresh air valve and climate control.

Thanks very much for your help. Enjoy the rest of your day.
TIM
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

This shows how they all attach

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/8...996_620596.pdf
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Stealth 993,
Thanks for the illustration. i did follow this one but it does not show the entire picture. The fresh air and climate control vacuums are not identified. The car installation has two X connectors the illustration only shows one. I think i have the answer so will see if it works. The Climate and fresh air valve tie into the vacuum cannister line.
Cheers
TIM
Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd like to point out that there's only one vacuum operated valve up front in the 993 climate control system, it's the resirc flap. The electric valve for this is in the bonnet under the windscreen, and the flap can easily be seen through the CCU opening in the dash.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Timspu
Stealth 993,
Thanks for the illustration. i did follow this one but it does not show the entire picture. The fresh air and climate control vacuums are not identified. The car installation has two X connectors the illustration only shows one. I think i have the answer so will see if it works. The Climate and fresh air valve tie into the vacuum cannister line.
Cheers
TIM
Yea, it ties into that line. There really isn't a lot of lines under there, just find a open hole & stuff it in!

FWIW, I had mine unplugged for almost a year. It also keeps the intake flaps form working, so when you plug it up, you WILL gain a lot of midrange & top end. In my case, the vacuum canister was unplugged & the HVAC line was still plugged in.

Best thing to do, is remove the whole HVAC fan & housing in the engine bay, then remove the top rubber piece on the engine fan housing, you will see just about all the lines, & be able to plug them all in. You can also tug on the vacuum line coming off the intake plenum. This can help you see the lines under the plenum. When I figured out there was a line undone, it took about 3min to find it, & plug it back in.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Timspu
Instructor

Brilliant. Thanks for your assistance. Hopefully all will be well, just got to sort out the cooling fan pulley attachment bolts.

Cheers

TIM

Quick Reply: Vacuum line questions 1995 N-VR