Sponsored by:

Trouble Shooting Vibration on Braking _ Left Rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trouble Shooting Vibration on Braking _ Left Rear

Firstly, after watching and hearing about the recent events in Japan, I almost feel ashamed to be concerned about something so insignificant as an annoying brake problem. But, life goes on I guess. I hope they get that nuclear reactor issue resolved...and quick!

Anyway, on a lighter note:

Just trying to figure out why at higher speeds around 45+ I'm getting a strong vibration from the left rear wheel. Rotors were replaced with OE parts around 6,000 miles ago tops. OE pads, shims etc. Haven't worked them very hard at all so can't understand why this is occurring.

Any suggestions on what to look for to resolve it?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying it vibrates only when you apply the brakes @ 45mph or is it a constant vibration ?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

True how our car stuff becomes irrelevant in the the bigger picture. God Speed to those affected.

It's not clear if the vibration is occuring while diving or only under braking.

Since the brakes and rotors are recent, I would look for a slightly bent or out of balance wheel and check the wheel bearings for any play.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:57 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Ah yes, sorry guys, I wasn't specific...to be more clear:

The vibration only occurs under braking at speeds above 40-50 or so and feels very much like what I would expect with a warped rotor. It seems to be only the left rear that is having an issue based upon the seat of my pants. No problem with vibration except when braking.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

bump
Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest before anything going back in and re-checking your work, first make sure nothing was accidentaly left loose. Make sure the pads aren't binding up through the range of motion, pins are clean, pull the pads and look at the friction surface, are you getting even wear pattern or is the contact surface wear uneven? Is the rotor glazed? Caliper piston(s) hanging up ever so slightly? Make sure they retract fully when pushed back. These are all things that can cause a vibration as it would cause the pad to want mate uneven to the surface. Another thing you want to look for is play in the hub/suspension bushings, anything that could be exacerbated upon braking force being applied.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like warped rotors. First thing to try would be turning or cutting the rorors while they are on the car

I went through this for quire a while (more than 2 sets of new rotors) to no avail.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Okay, so here's the latest:

I'm not entirely sure its the left rear as originally advertised. Took a drive after checking out the left rear and it could be the front rotors.

I removed the left rear wheel after checking for any play whatsoever that could be a bad bearing etc. and all looks good. Didn't pull pads etc due to hassle factor involved, but tons of pad left, no discernible wear or glazing to rotor. Caliper on nice and tight as it should be.

Also pulled both front wheels, checked to make sure tie rods were in good shape and bolts etc were tight. No wheel bearing issues either. Calipers nice and tight. Rotors have no glazing but have a very slight lip toward outer edges from normal wear. Tons of pad life left.

The only thing I can figure is either that the front rotors, being the Zimmerman OEM stuff, and not factory OE dealer ones I have in rear, are total crap (and I believe there are more than a few here who have that opinion), or its something else.

I've looked at all of the bushings that I can find and all looks good. My Bilstein PSS9s have maybe 15K miles on them and seem just fine. Steering rack was replaced a few years ago as were the front tie rods. Can't figure this one out. Also seems a little strange that I only noticed this maybe 500 miles ago.

Any other thoughts or ideas before I start paying $100 an hour for my mechanic to start troubleshooting it?

Quick Reply: Trouble Shooting Vibration on Braking _ Left Rear