993 Forum 1995-1998

another 993 speedster is on the way

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Send us your shell and we will build the additional stiffeners into the structure whilst it is apart......
hi Colin,

i would rather send the complete car for the 9m +1 upgrade
I have already sent some emails and discussed it with Peter (varioram engine with US OBDII) but it will be defenatly stage 2 of the project.

Back to stage 1, building the speedster:
i have already asked about the cost of sending the car/shell from Hungary to you, but it's not so cheap: more than EUR 1.000 for one way. I would like to keep the costs under control (as mauch as possible) and i haven't calculated with it but send me a PM about the details.

regards,

RP
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
RP993
Racer

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Hi RP
Thanks for your PM, I'd missed this thread completely and did wonder what became of the 'abandoned project'? Good to see another machine being created.
There are still a few Speedster parts left on the shelves in Stuttgart - but getting rarer by the day!
Good luck with your search and keep us all updated with progress.
Colour choice - many sleepless nights can be had trying to decide, but good strong colours will always show off the curves!!
Graham
Hi Graham,

welcome to my thread and thanks for your comment! For sure there will be some questions during the project and i would like to say thanks in advance for your answers and help.

you're right, the colour choice is a hard thing. Yesterday i've checked another manufacturers white colours: Bentley, Aston Martin, Lamborghini.... I should visit their showrooms in Vienna
But other colours (especially orange) is still in the race. If you or any other RL Member could give me advice with picture and colour code, i would be very happy. I want to let samples paint for the final decission.

regards,

RP
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I love Grand Prix White simply because it's not stark white but really an 'off-white'. IMHO a very beautiful color on a 993. Having said that, this Turbo, currently for sale at TrueSpeed in Costa Mesa and the subject of several threads and a cause for much drooling around here sports the most beautiful color of Tangerine/Blood Orange that I've ever seen on a Porsche. It's almost translucent and has a 'liquid' quality about it that always looks wet. Just chop the top off with your imagination and there's a STUNNING speedster there ...
Old 03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
RP993
Racer

Hi JP.

great minds think the same!

my favourite porsche colours are speedyellow (see my avatar), grand prix white (see attached picture, this is my last project) and blutorange (maybe my speedster?)

speedyellow is a fantastic colour on a 964 but unfortunetly on 993 it doesn't look so good on a speedster (see photo) For me at least...

My first idea was blutorange, but a white speedster is maybe easier to sell, becouse my wife's favourite Porsche is a Carrera GT

my idea was to paint the calipers and the alternator to orange like the car. The interior should be a black leather-alcantara mix with orange stiches and ORANGE SAFETY BELTS! The belts are my problem: Porsche produced red, yellow, blue and sternrubin (for 964 RS) belts but no orange. Does somebody know a company, who can change the regular black belt to orange? PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

a nice touch would be an orange tachymeter (cheers to Singer )

with grandprix white it's much easier with factory yellow belts and calipers, but sometimes you should choose the harder way...
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM
RP993
Racer

by the way Singer Porsche:

does anybody has any info about the colour code of Singer nr.1 orange beauty?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome project! Very jealous, and can't wait to see the build pictures. I think I'd go for green, but no matter what color you choose, as others said, its still a Speedster
Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RP993
speedyellow is a fantastic colour on a 964 but unfortunetly on 993 it doesn't look so good on a speedster (see photo) For me at least...
Actually, this is not Porsche Speed Yellow but a lighter, more blue/green variation of yellow. I think someone said it was a Ferrari color (Fly or Feyance Yellow?). To me, Speed Yellow is more red and warmer in tone and a much more attractive shade of yellow than this example, but I think you are right, I've seen a 964 Speedster in Speed Yellow ... not so much.

The interior should be a black leather-alcantara mix with orange stiches and ORANGE SAFETY BELTS! The belts are my problem: Does somebody know a company, who can change the regular black belt to orange? PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
I think this is a great vision so here's my contribution to the cause:

Many interior shops can get seat belt webbing in any color you want and will re-web your belts using heavy duty industrial sewing thread and sewing machines that will meet safety/stress requirements.

Here's a link to some color samples from the company 'GotBelts' in the U.S., (thanks to our own Chuck W. for sharing this great resource) take a look at color number 71 ... I believe that's a pretty good match to Blutorange :-)
http://www.gotbelts.com/color-swatches/

Here's the main company website link. You can order the webbing from them and bring the material and your old seatbelts to an independant upholstery shop and have them made:
http://www.gotbelts.com/color-swatches-webbing/

So, no excuses now .. Sometimes the harder way ain't so hard after all ...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
RP993
Racer

many thanks for your help JP!

you're firmly pushing me to orange

As the orange safety belt material is found, now i have to find a company, who is able to sew it in factory quality. The main problem is, that you can test the quality of the sewing only once.... Design is fine, but safety is first!!

So if anybody know a reliable company, please let me know!!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That is one amazing find and great project to complete! I'd like to have your dilemma of selecting color for this car. I'd probably stick with more conservative arctic silver or white.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

many thanks for your help JP!

you're firmly pushing me to orange

As the orange safety belt material is found, now i have to find a company, who is able to sew it in factory quality. The main problem is, that you can test the quality of the sewing only once.... Design is fine, but safety is first!!

So if anybody know a reliable company, please let me know!!
Awesome! I am a bit prejudiced towards Orange, it's in my historical blood ...

BTW, I believe when Graham had his Speedster done at 9M, they had his custom Cobalt Blue belts done by a company in the U.K., I'll bet if you sent Colin your old belts, he could have some made for you and you know they would be right ...

Last edited by JPP; 03-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi RP
I had mine done by
http://www.quickfitsbs.com/index.asp
Graham
Old 03-16-2011, 04:23 AM
RP993
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Hi RP
I had mine done by
http://www.quickfitsbs.com/index.asp
Graham
many thanks Graham!

i will contact them
Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 AM
RP993
Racer

[QUOTE=JPP;8387785]Awesome! I am a bit prejudiced towards Orange, it's in my historical blood ...

JP!

this 356 blutorange speedter is AWESOME!!! now, i can truly understand your prejudice!

Graham gave me a big help, but thanks for the idea

regards,

Arpad
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 AM
RP993
Racer

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
That is one amazing find and great project to complete! I'd like to have your dilemma of selecting color for this car. I'd probably stick with more conservative arctic silver or white.
hi Harlan,

thanks for your comment. My idea is a maching stich to the car's colour:

white speedster - white stiches
orange speedster - orange stiches
Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 AM
RP993
Racer

Cool

hello to everyone!

the dismount of the car will begin in 2 weeks. In the meantime i collect some other parts and i will let paint some orange colour samples i will post the pictures!

i have a question to every RL Member reading my thread:

i'm looking for a set of Porsche 993 turbo hard-back seats. Condition is indifferent, becouse i will change the upholstery and paint the back.

Please let me know any offer, link, etc; PM welcome

regards,

Arpad

Quick Reply: another 993 speedster is on the way