Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need feedback on car and dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Magdaddy. Sure :-P artistic lisence. LOL!
But hoonestly 77k buy now for 997 GT3 2007 with options in white and 18500miles is 7k large. I have no ideas what you guys pay for **** and booze but in our land thats $15 of our sheckles a day x 365 days in a year. I reckon top bid on that 997 GT3 wil be below buy now at 74k so its a close call. Im sure beer and cigarettes are cheaper in the US - heck everything is cheap in the US which is why you guys have had over 30k large of my mod money into the US economy in the last 18 months :-). In NZ a new 997.2 GT3RS is over 250k usd at todays exchange! They are 200k usd + equiv in almost any other country in the world....

PS our average wages is lower than US and our tax is the same or greater. ...
PPS. But we have lotsa sheep....

M

M
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I must be missing something. Lets put the issue of the dealer aside for a minute and talk about the current market value of the 993TT's. I'm very surprised that the general feeling here is that a 20k mile TT at $70 k is way off the market. Really? My sense is that it might be a hair high but that is the asking price and, lets be honest, a 20k mile TT at some of the other well known dealers would be at an asking price of closer to the $80's. My view is that this car is a bit high but not outrageously so. If I could get a $20k mile TT for $66-$68k I'd be thrilled.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
Ok I must be missing something. Lets put the issue of the dealer aside for a minute and talk about the current market value of the 993TT's. I'm very surprised that the general feeling here is that a 20k mile TT at $70 k is way off the market. Really? My sense is that it might be a hair high but that is the asking price and, lets be honest, a 20k mile TT at some of the other well known dealers would be at an asking price of closer to the $80's. My view is that this car is a bit high but not outrageously so. If I could get a $20k mile TT for $66-$68k I'd be thrilled.
I agree.
If this 20k car checks out, no damage, perfect condition - then I think the price is right. These cars are not going down in price.
And yes you can by a GT3, GT2, other turbos - the point is, you have to really want a 993tt to pay top dollar and people do
Hopefully it checks out if that is the car you want
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think this is a discussion about price per se. I have no idea what the market is for a 993TT as I typically frequent the 993 forum not the turbo one. Others have suggested that 70k is top dollar for a good 993TT with low miles and that with this kind of wedge there are many choice in dealers to be had. If that is indeed the case the inference was simply aimed at addressing the OPs original question - effectively - for 70k would you buy this car from this dealer. The OP knew by posting on this board he would get a variety of interesting input. The thread consenus to date would indicate that there may be some reason to hesitate based on the farfax title and a well known members previous purchase experience from same dealer. Ultimately the PO will make up his own mind. The consesus suggests that for 70k any hestitation regards this car should be closely considered as there are potentially many other choices in the market...

For my part, if the information you present is correct and 70-80k is the asking at a well respected dealer for a 20k mile 993TT, then I express suprise and given the raft of other opportunities in your market for 70-80k usd if it were my money and my market was as kind in second hand used values of kit like 997.1 and 997.1 GT3/RS etc I would be seriously inclined to consider those options. Thats is simply my opinion. I love my 993 and I have as much invested in it as a good 993TT and probably more. if I were adding another Pcar to the fleet I would find your markets price breaks lead me to favour a GT3/RS over a 993TT. Each to their own I guess. In my market a good 993C2 with low miles is 58,000 usd. A good 993TT with same providence and mileage would be 88,000 usd. Thats a 50% premium for a pair of turbos. I believe this to be similar to markets in the UK, Australia and Germany. In your market if my understanding is correct a good low mile 993 C2 is 39k and a goo 993TT as we are led to understand is 70k usd then the premium is 80%. That alone seems a diminished return in my mind. Furthermore in your market a good used 997.1 GT3 is 75k usd. In my market and others as noted the same car is 110k usd. Therefore in your market you appear blesses to enjoy a market benefit over the majority of us Pcar fans around the world favouring the 993C2 and later machinery such as 997.1GT3 andGT3Rs.

You will have to exucuse me therefore in extropolating that as I am already a 993C2 owner that the 993TT at 70-80k holds less apeal than more modern and tasty P car morsels your market offers....

However I am spoiling the OPs original thread and therefore I will leave it to more constructive critisim located closer to "home" which I am sure is of better benefit in making a decision. As the OP encourages varied input I hope he is not offended by this interlude. Fact is if 70-80k is market for good 993TT with low mines and standard configuration/options and he really wants a 993TT then in the US market as it stands this could be a very good car for him as long as he satisfies himself that it is using the tools available...

Cheers
M
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Seems like a nice car for $69k if it checks out.

Originally Posted by Macca
Heck looking at ebay thats a pack of **** and a Bud a day for year way from owning a 997.1 GT3 2007 with 18500 miles on it.
Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Should I attempt the math here on this one..just asking
Pack of **** is $12+ in some states ... a bud will cost you a buck or two, or $400 an ounce depending on which bud you're looking for.

That FEMA thing kinda bugs me ... any car that was registered in Houston when Rita or whatever happened now gets a red flag on Carfax or Autocheck to deter potential buyers forever?

Love this slogan: WE SELL MORE THAN CAR WE SELL WHO YOU ARE is it CROME's dealership?

But if that's the contract you get to sign after you buy, might be worth the extra bucks!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
a bud will cost you a buck or two, or $400 an ounce depending on which bud you're looking for.
Not here in quasi-legal California. "Friend in the business" can't hardly get 1/3 of that. Interesting way to make a living, and a whole lot less profitable than any of you would think. Unless you've got the government seal-of-approval in the form of a license to steal in operating a retail dispensary.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a vote to go check out the car, and if as perfect as claimed, be the proud new owner.
I would LOVE IT!!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

To the OP, check Pelican. I saw a redon black, low mileage turbo there for $65K yesterday! I'm sure its still there!

Here is the link....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rbo-coupe.html

Last edited by ginch; 03-09-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks Canyon. I agree, not my cup a tea with the advertising gimmicks either. I may PPI it here soon, however the dealer requested no locals, only Porsche dealerships due to fear of tampering or undercutting. I've heard that before, but not sure if this is just another sign...I have another 993TT I'm looking at that blows this one out of the water but pricier. Decisions..decisions...

Originally Posted by Canyon56
If it's in your price range and the color combo is right for you, then why not take a closer look and pursue it further? If it all comes thru okay then make an offer. You've been there done that already Tony

I never knew there was a color called Virgin Red

Also the name of the place and all those cutesy/sleazy used car type slogans they use are a bit much for me and a turn-off. But hey, if the car is right then it's the right car.
Yes, I will follow-up with the Rennlist member that works at CarFax for a clear understanding of this. I didn't see the Title section left blank, so I will follow-up there as well. Thank you.

Originally Posted by dcdude
02/01/2005 CYPRESS, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage.

The Title section is left blank in the ad. Find out from the dealer if it is a clean or salvage / rebuilt title before proceeding any further...
Not sure how to read the Barney saga, he didn't really address what happened head on. However, it does raise another hair on the neck and reinforces a strong PPI showing.

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
With all due respect to the Barney saga, wouldn't that raise some alarms if it came from the same dealer? I mean, Barney had some pretty good damage that went unnoticed or disclosed for quite a while. Just sayin ...
Agreed. Prices for 993TT in median are around 75k with your higher outliers from Sloan around 100k and higher mileage private dipping down to 50k.
Disclaimer: My research on website prices and sticking my thumb in the air.

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
How did my thread turn into a pot discussion? Doesn't matter, Ken can post whatever he wants.

Originally Posted by race911
Not here in quasi-legal California. "Friend in the business" can't hardly get 1/3 of that. Interesting way to make a living, and a whole lot less profitable than any of you would think. Unless you've got the government seal-of-approval in the form of a license to steal in operating a retail dispensary.
Almost there, got another fish on the line trying to determine which one...
Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
Here is a vote to go check out the car, and if as perfect as claimed, be the proud new owner.
I would LOVE IT!!
I'm looking for a red, white, yellow. Lighter color from my midnight blue.

Originally Posted by ginch
To the OP, check Pelican. I saw a redon black, low mileage turbo there for $65K yesterday! I'm sure its still there!
Thanks for all the replies guys. Lots to think about!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Spidey 993

Followed up on the concern with the CarFax entry. Wanted to post for archives if someone else runs into this. Response from CarFax.

----------------------------------------
A lot of vehicle involved in those hurricanes were shipped out of state (some very far away) and re-titled in a state that didn't check with that previous titling state. The end result is a vehicle with, what looks like, a clean title. Of course if that vehicle received a flood or salvage brand from the previous DMV, CARFAX would still maintain that record, thereby protecting the consumer.

Unfortunately it sometimes takes a while for DMVs to actually "brand" titles, so to protect consumers during a potential lag period, we took the proactive measure of tagging all vehicles that had a registration in the FEMA designated flood areas of those hurricanes with a "flood advisory". This advisory was not meant to definitively say that the vehicle was flooded but rather that it could be. The advisory also provided a stop-gap in the event that vehicle did eventually receive a branded title from that state dmv.
-----------------------------------------

02/01/2005 CYPRESS, TX Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL Reported registered/titled prior to storm event in FEMA designated storm area. We recommend a professional vehicle inspection to confirm no storm damage.

The Title section is left blank in the ad. Find out from the dealer if it is a clean or salvage / rebuilt title before proceeding any further...

Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, so Carfax is saying that a previous branded title could surface someday, but what about the current title? If you're serious about the car, the dealer can easily send you a shot of the current title from his cell phone. Not a huge task.

Oversight or not, leaving the "Title" field in the ebay listing blank is a huge red flag until the seller clears the issue.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Spidey 993

Agreed, I decided there was too many fish in the barrel to chase this one. I took Firesm advice too combined with this information and really looked hard at the CarFax.

The first 4-5 years of the cars life it looks good, then for the next 10 years the car was driven less than 1000 miles and only 19 miles in last 5 years. Throw in some shady failed emissions, cloudy title issues after a hurricane, and $13k recent bill for service was a bit much for me. Plus after talking to this dealer, all I wanted to do is take a shower...

On to the next one and thanks for the help.

OK, so Carfax is saying that a previous branded title could surface someday, but what about the current title? If you're serious about the car, the dealer can easily send you a shot of the current title from his cell phone. Not a huge task.

Oversight or not, leaving the "Title" field in the ebay listing blank is a huge red flag until the seller clears the issue.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
On to the next one and thanks for the help.
Probably a good idea - plus, now I can go and buy it... Kidding of course - as much as I would love to have a TT I don't fit the current buying criteria: I don't live in Colorado and my wife isn't pregnant (or at least she better not be...). Good luck - can't wait to see the next one you want to buy.

Quick Reply: Need feedback on car and dealer