Wong chip...here we go again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wong chip...here we go again...

We all know the pros and cons, but here's a new one:

Is the Steve Wong chip truly better because it is a computer code in the chip that improved efficiency features over the code written in the early 90s?

I've always been of the philosophy, "if at aint broke, dont fix it"....but I cant get this chip out of my mind....

Sorry for the redundancy about the Steve Wong chip topic.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

im sticking with the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" philosophy lol
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Others smarter than I will certainly chime in...

There is no magic here, on our cars there are only two variables, timing and fuel delivery. To an extent, more timing= more horsepower, but also more timing = more risk for detonation and need for better fuels. Since Porsche has to be very pessimistic with the fuel selection, they leave a few (and very few) HP off the table. Tuners simply get you that much closer to the edge. All that said, there is some black magic, "where" to add timing. There is no "new" technology here.... maybe just a few more years experience....

Keeping 93 octane fuel requirements (and only 93, forget running 89 or 91) gets you about 10hp gain. relax that to 100 octane and you could pick up a few more.... but then you are buying $8/gal race fuel.

Just my 2 cents... maybe less..
Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Others smarter than I will certainly chime in...

There is no magic here, on our cars there are only two variables, timing and fuel delivery. To an extent, more timing= more horsepower, but also more timing = more risk for detonation and need for better fuels. Since Porsche has to be very pessimistic with the fuel selection, they leave a few (and very few) HP off the table. Tuners simply get you that much closer to the edge. All that said, there is some black magic, "where" to add timing. There is no "new" technology here.... maybe just a few more years experience....

Keeping 93 octane fuel requirements (and only 93, forget running 89 or 91) gets you about 10hp gain. relax that to 100 octane and you could pick up a few more.... but then you are buying $8/gal race fuel.

Just my 2 cents... maybe less..
+1
excellent summary...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

jscott82. Nice summary. You hit the nail on the head in fewer words than I could have managed!

I ill add one important addition. If you are running a pre 1995 ECU with RSLWFC there are some changes to code that can be incorporated by Steve Wong and Steve Weineer in these chips that REALLY DO significantly reduce or in many cases TOTALLY ELIMINATE stalling issues. That is a real call to action for early 993 owners going RSLWFC IMHO. Indeed this is what I did and apart from picking up a little power and torque its served a further purpose. Agin other advnates of a chip I am finding is you can lift the idle (I have 880rpm) and also the redline (6800 rpm in my case with the new cams arriving soon). This is also of benefit when tuning...

Cheers
M
Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Leon993
Racer

heard fuel efficiency goes up too...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Somebody correct me... But I believe when you are cruising (not wide open throttle) the DME is in full feedback loop with the O2 sensor ensuring an exact stoichiometric (14.7/1) mixture. This cannot be improved. Where tuning comes in is under wide open throttle (WOT) and the transition on and off of WOT, none really affect fuel economy….

Please edumacate me if I’m wrong…

edit: unless you cruise with your foot to the floor...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Somebody correct me... But I believe when you are cruising (not wide open throttle) the DME is in full feedback loop with the O2 sensor ensuring an exact stoichiometric (14.7/1) mixture. This cannot be improved. Where tuning comes in is under wide open throttle (WOT) and the transition on and off of WOT, none really affect fuel economy….

Please edumacate me if I’m wrong…

edit: unless you cruise with your foot to the floor...
Fuel economy is best at an AFR leaner than stoihiometric, what that AFR is depends on the vehicle in question.

I don't believe Steve or others make any changes here, however my experience with a 93 Steve Wong chip was cruising and around town i did see a 10 - 15% improvement in fuel economy, on the track however, it used approx 10-15% more.....

I would like to cruise at 160mph, but that would be a go straight to jail offence...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The zing of a maze; the sky, it does not fall.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
jscott82. Nice summary. You hit the nail on the head in fewer words than I could have managed!

I ill add one important addition. If you are running a pre 1995 ECU with RSLWFC there are some changes to code that can be incorporated by Steve Wong and Steve Weineer in these chips that REALLY DO significantly reduce or in many cases TOTALLY ELIMINATE stalling issues. That is a real call to action for early 993 owners going RSLWFC IMHO. Indeed this is what I did and apart from picking up a little power and torque its served a further purpose. Agin other advnates of a chip I am finding is you can lift the idle (I have 880rpm) and also the redline (6800 rpm in my case with the new cams arriving soon). This is also of benefit when tuning...

Cheers
M
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jscott82. You are correct. WOT=Open loop=reverts to tables which programming addresses. Ive never noticed much different with cat removal, chip etc on efficency. Its too hard to truely determine due to traffic and driving styles especially over the short term IMHO...

Not sure why peole are watching my comments eating popcorn LOL!

M
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We all enjoy popcorn......
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Jscott82. You are correct. WOT=Open loop=reverts to tables which programming addresses. Ive never noticed much different with cat removal, chip etc on efficency. Its too hard to truely determine due to traffic and driving styles especially over the short term IMHO...

Not sure why peole are watching my comments eating popcorn LOL!

M
I think it's because 95 C4 993 has not had the best luck with his LWF stalling issues, even with an aftermarket chip.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Chip tuning just does what we used to do in the '60s and 70's before the advent of the age of electronics

ie tweek fuel and ignition at wot for better performance. The thing with chip tuning is it does it better and more precisely and leaves the closed loop fuel economy settings alone(as along as you retain a O sensor) as long as you can furnish fuel/air curves off a dyno or from something like an LM2 you can dial in the performance available w/ the fuel you use.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Fair call. 95C4993. Sorry to hear you had no luck with the chip. I must be one of teh fortunate ones...

Cheers
M

Quick Reply: Wong chip...here we go again...