Sponsored by:

Wong chip...here we go again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I think it's because 95 C4 993 has not had the best luck with his LWF stalling issues, even with an aftermarket chip.
Ive had 4 aftermarket chips with 3 different vendors. You can probably do search dating back 6 years with my check sum issues that were only isolated to me---not other 95 C4's just my 95 C4. I have a rare form of cop car version computer in my car. Dont bother asking why or what--thats what research came up with from Porsche.

BTW--Im happy with my Steve Weiner chip. Yea, I get the ocassional stall but I signed up for the LWF knowing the potential downside before I went through with the upgrade.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

95C4993. Sounds like yours is more unique than mine!

I have non SAI ROW M150 motorsports leaded fuel option. Only a handful of these. Uses no 02 sensors and shipped with "hollow cats" from factory. Built for South Africa, UAE and New Zealand in late November 1993 when NZ still was selling leaded fuel at the pump. I can adjust fuel richness mixture using closed loop using C02 Potentiometer located in right hand engine bay. Car features in Adrians book....

I guess youve considered a new ECU and trued everything else. As you say its one of the risks we all are aware of. I also took my chances. Version 1 of Wongs chip corrected 99% of problems. There as a driver induced habit that created occassional stalling (2-3 times over 2000 miles). Second version of chip (this time custom version based on AFRs from dyno) seems to have erradicated the issue (zero stall on 1000 miles driving) but it may be down to the fact I corrected a habit that coccassionally casused the stall in the first instance...

M
Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon993
We all know the pros and cons, but here's a new one:

Is the Steve Wong chip truly better because it is a computer code in the chip that improved efficiency features over the code written in the early 90s?

I've always been of the philosophy, "if at aint broke, dont fix it"....but I cant get this chip out of my mind....

Sorry for the redundancy about the Steve Wong chip topic.
Steve and other chip tuners don't change the code per se, they change the look up tables within the chips.

Quick Reply: Wong chip...here we go again...