Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Jack stands? Am I over thinking this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:09 PM
moots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack stands? Am I over thinking this?

I am hoping to install a goldenrod/ short shift today so am planning to put my car on jack stands. I am a little confused about this process is this correct.
Jack under rear point, raise one side of car, place stand under front point, Lower car. now here is where I am confused in all the instructions I have seen the next step is repeat for other side, but the car is currently sitting on one jack stand how will jacking up from the other side rear lift the front of the car shurly the car will just become unstable and try to balance on the stand and jack?
I have not started yet but was hoping for some extra input first, am I over thinking? (Or underthinking perhaps)
Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM
moots
Advanced

Please excuse the poor gramma and spelling, it's usually pretty bad and a sleepless has not improved it any. Thanks
A link to very clear instructions or a video would be great ( for the jack stand problem, not the gramma )
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out P-car DIY it tells you how to jack up the 993, in details.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

i'd just use ramps honestly.

much easier.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I had the same thought the first time around just like you did. However, the car remains very stable. Just remember to chock the rear wheel on the opposite side. Again, when you lift the other side at the rear lift point, both front and rear wheels will go airborne again. Put jackstand under second side. Slowly lower your hydraulic jack, and voila!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Just do any such task slowly, especially the first time. If there is any instability issue, you'd find out before you got the car up more than a few inches. Also, put a couple of wheels or something under the engine and front rack to act as a backup in case you have a problem with a jackstand.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:44 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Sometimes, the hardest part of a DIY is putting the car on the jackstands.
It is alittle un-nerving to say the least.
Agree with above. P-car is THE website for DIY

Kevin
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM
moots
Advanced

Thanks for the advice, the day was a bit of a nightmare, drove all over the place to buy ramps thought it would be safest, then my jack broke leaked etc, then replacement jack could not fit under lowered car. All I have to say is it's a good job I am thin since I managed to install the short shift and golden rod with just the front of the car off the ground, everything went ok till I stripped a bolt, finish it tomorrow. I love the car and like working on it, but the jack stands just scare me.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Moots,

If you like working on cars it would be a good idea to invest in a midrise scissor, it is easy,fast and safe! And it is cheap. Only cost about $1500. I honestly can say I can't believe I worked on cars all these year on jacks and jack stands. Should have invested on a midrise scissor lift years ago!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seach for the thread on ESCO jackstands. Expensive, but worth every dime for the piece of mind while jacking up and working under the car. And yes, its a teeter-toter sort of experience jacking up the 993...disconcerting the first few times. As for low profile jacks, also do a search here....tons of threads (& options) about "jack"

No way my lowered car would work with ramps.....(if it were only so easy, like my old 914.)
Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
No way my lowered car would work with ramps.....(if it were only so easy, like my old 914.)
I'm able to get my brother-in-law's 993 lowered to RS height on ramps using Rhino ramps. These ramps have a long ramp-on area. They even work on my friend's Audi R8 which has to be the lowest factory car on the road.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:53 PM
moots
Advanced

Would love to get a midrise sissor lift but need to get a house first. Part of my problem is living in an apt where I can't work on my car, I am probably going to spend 4 hours driving today (back and forth from my girlfriends sisters house) to do about 3 hours of work on the car. There has to be a better way.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Moots,

If you like working on cars it would be a good idea to invest in a midrise scissor, it is easy,fast and safe! And it is cheap. Only cost about $1500. I honestly can say I can't believe I worked on cars all these year on jacks and jack stands. Should have invested on a midrise scissor lift years ago!
Ain't that the truth. This is the best TOOL I've ever bought:
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
moots
Advanced

Love it, that's awesome. Today as I was under the car I was thinking about how hard it is to work on and thinking the guys at Porsche are sadists. Then I tried to open a pack of zip ties while still under the car and even that simple task felt almost impossible, made me realize it's not the car it's having the right tools and getting the car more than 10 inches off the ground that makes the work pleasurable. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used jack stands and worked while laying on concrete floors for years. You have to be vigilant about safety. Guys get seriously hurt (or worse) frequently when cars fall on them. Every car guy deserves a big garage and a lift at some point in their life and hopefully before they have finished working on cars.

Quick Reply: Jack stands? Am I over thinking this?