Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How much does Tiptronic hurt resale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

BTW, I wouldn't even consider a Tip if I couldn't shift it manually, and floor shifting at that. No way would I ever be comfortable driving a 996 Tip since the shifting is well......not on the floor... Oh, part of the reasoning was, well the wife could driver her too, tried teaching her to drive stick years ago and what a nightmare that was...anyways, in all the years of ownership she's only driven the car $&$8 twice....
Old 03-16-2011, 01:10 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The point was his stupid "hater" mention and comment he made about (gasp) people interjecting their opinions here.
No Problem.

On another point, we need to go on another excursion.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:39 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer the op, I've had both and sold both. The tip took longer to sell and brought less $.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. Hughes -

Ok, the term "hater" was possibly not the best word choice. Then again whisky tango foxtrot and "stupid" doesn't make one the most erudite either.

The thread asks for opinions about tiptronic resale value and suprise(!) it turns into a stick / tip performance debate.

The six speed is better / faster.

Drive what you like and like what you drive.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
No Problem.

On another point, we need to go on another excursion.
Indeed we do. I've put 40 miles on the '84 since Jan, and maybe 200 miles on the 993 since Feb 1. Damned weather and damned work.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Howdy993
The thread asks for opinions about tiptronic resale value and suprise(!) it turns into a stick / tip performance debate.
IMO, the performance and "feel" factors of manuals versus non manuals are directly related to the market's value of one gear box type over another as well as the number of buyers who are willing to or need to purchase a tip. The majority of people who are looking to buy a 993 are enthusiasts who want a sports car with three pedals.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:16 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmdriver

Other advantages to owning a Tip;1) Trying to eat or drink anything. No cup holders for me! 2) Having a cute wife or girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat and needing a free hand. 3) No missed shifts with bent valves. 4) Driving in rush hour and heavy traffic. 5) Never need to replace clutches. 6) Figuring out that there are a bunch of neat tricks and different ways to really drive the Tip. 7) Talking on the cell phone (I know, that freedom is being taken away). 8) Other family members (my wife) that are not proficient in driving a stick, can drive your car.

glad you enjoy your car
  • 1. i don't eat / drink while driving the P cars
  • 2. you don't keep both hands on the wheel?
  • 3. haven't experienced this and hopefully never will.
  • 4. i don't do this
  • 5. mechanical repairs / upgrades are FUN!
  • 6. you got me there, i think?
  • 7. one word = hands-free-headset
  • 8. i would not want to give up the can't-drive-a-stick-filter to keep some people from driving my car.

be safe

Craig
Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
skicoach
Instructor

I own a 98 C2S with a tip and purchased it because of condition and milage. I agree about the current lower resale value but would suggest that with passing time, fewer drivers with STD. experience, and the fact that far fewer tips were made, may actually increase their realative value. If this theory becomes reality, tips may actually be a bargain now. I love mine.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgfen
glad you enjoy your car

8. i would not want to give up the can't-drive-a-stick-filter to keep some people from driving my car.
That definitely comes in handy.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by skicoach
I own a 98 C2S with a tip and purchased it because of condition and milage. I agree about the current lower resale value but would suggest that with passing time, fewer drivers with STD. experience, and the fact that far fewer tips were made, may actually increase their realative value. If this theory becomes reality, tips may actually be a bargain now. I love mine.
I think you have a point as I've thought the same thing. Maybe in another 10 -20 years, when a younger generation starts to earn some disposable income and want the "vintage" 993 they dreamed about when they were young. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: How much does Tiptronic hurt resale?