Sponsored by:

How much does Tiptronic hurt resale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
That's obvious. You can't compare the performance/capability of a 993 engine with that of the 997 engines either. They are what they are.
Based on your other post above, it seemed like you were implying the only difference as a "fraction of a second".
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It's not just the speed, although that is important. The whole logic aspect on upshifts and downshifts applies.

Nothing wrong with a tip for convenience, but it is going to be a step backward in the performance dept. If there weren't demand for them, Porsche certainly would not have offered and sold them.
Hi Ed, I drove up to Palomar with you guys on New Years Day. I have to say that I am really tired of people on this post blasting the Tip. For its day, it was an amazing bit of technology. It was the first to offer both the convenience of an automatic, with the ability to take over and control the shifting manually. The only sacrifice to performance comes from the 0 to 60 performance, and I know not many people on Rennlist go around trying to drag other cars off the line. After all we would all lose to a lot of the newer econo-type cars that are on the road today. I would place a wager that the 30 to 60+ performance would be faster in a Tip with its ability to kick down up to two gears and run each gear up to redline automatically. The race mapping is also pretty amazing. There would also be ZERO advantage to driving a stick vs a Tip on any twisty Highway or mountain road especially with the broad RPM range of 2nd and 3rd gears.

Other advantages to owning a Tip;1) Trying to eat or drink anything. No cup holders for me! 2) Having a cute wife or girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat and needing a free hand. 3) No missed shifts with bent valves. 4) Driving in rush hour and heavy traffic. 5) Never need to replace clutches. 6) Figuring out that there are a bunch of neat tricks and different ways to really drive the Tip. 7) Talking on the cell phone (I know, that freedom is being taken away). 8) Other family members (my wife) that are not proficient in driving a stick, can drive your car.

I have owned Porsche's most of my driving life. All of them have been stick's until I purchased my 993 Tip from my brother-in-law several years ago. I compete in many of our local PCA driving events and I am last years Autocross division champion. I take advantage of the Tip's race mode by leaving it in D and letting it downshift into first gear out of tight corners to launch the car out of the hole.

Those of you that say the Tip is not for performance driving, have obviously never driven the the Tip in a performance situation, and that's a shame.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I certainly wasn't blasting anything, including tiptronic transmissions. But, I personally feel that they do not do for me what I can do for myself with a 6 speed. I don't value much based on 0-60, but I do value keeping power to the rear wheels in turns driving a rear engined car. The couple of tips I've driven didn't give me that same feeling of control. My feeling, my opinion.

As to the torque deal and the long gears- maybe true with V-Ram, but keeping my '95 in the sweet spot requires some shifting, which I'm more than happy to do. Longer gears would not be a help.

I think the question was on Tips and resale. It seems that most here prefer the 6 speed, which is probably true for the entire marketplace, as Tips typically sell for less money.

Sure a Tip can provide a performance experience in a 993, but I think not as much as a stick.

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Hi Ed, I drove up to Palomar with you guys on New Years Day. I have to say that I am really tired of people on this post blasting the Tip. For its day, it was an amazing bit of technology. It was the first to offer both the convenience of an automatic, with the ability to take over and control the shifting manually. The only sacrifice to performance comes from the 0 to 60 performance, and I know not many people on Rennlist go around trying to drag other cars off the line. After all we would all lose to a lot of the newer econo-type cars that are on the road today. I would place a wager that the 30 to 60+ performance would be faster in a Tip with its ability to kick down up to two gears and run each gear up to redline automatically. The race mapping is also pretty amazing. There would also be ZERO advantage to driving a stick vs a Tip on any twisty Highway or mountain road especially with the broad RPM range of 2nd and 3rd gears.

Other advantages to owning a Tip;1) Trying to eat or drink anything. No cup holders for me! 2) Having a cute wife or girlfriend sitting in the passenger seat and needing a free hand. 3) No missed shifts with bent valves. 4) Driving in rush hour and heavy traffic. 5) Never need to replace clutches. 6) Figuring out that there are a bunch of neat tricks and different ways to really drive the Tip. 7) Talking on the cell phone (I know, that freedom is being taken away). 8) Other family members (my wife) that are not proficient in driving a stick, can drive your car.

I have owned Porsche's most of my driving life. All of them have been stick's until I purchased my 993 Tip from my brother-in-law several years ago. I compete in many of our local PCA driving events and I am last years Autocross division champion. I take advantage of the Tip's race mode by leaving it in D and letting it downshift into first gear out of tight corners to launch the car out of the hole.

Those of you that say the Tip is not for performance driving, have obviously never driven the the Tip in a performance situation, and that's a shame.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I guess I'll pile on. The non-starter is that it has a torque converter. I can be in the ultra minority on that point, but for me it seriously impacts what a "sports car" should be. Doesn't mean I wouldn't own one, or that I won't own one.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cdmdriver -

Well said, sir. All 993s are performance cars - regardless of transmission. Why the haters feel the need to interject their bias, especially amongst fellow enthusiasts, doesn't make much sense.

Its a good thing the only person my car has to please is ME.

Best wishes
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Howdy993
cdmdriver -

Well said, sir. All 993s are performance cars - regardless of transmission. Why the haters feel the need to interject their bias, especially amongst fellow enthusiasts, doesn't make much sense.

Its a good thing the only person my car has to please is ME.

Best wishes
WTF kind of post is that? The OP asked for opinions, which have been given. Heck, we give them whether asked or not. But, no-i checked: the title of the thread was a question that will elicit subjective answers.

As to using the term "haters", that should be saved for the high school campus and removed from the adult dictionary. It is famously now used by those not liking to read opinions different than theirs.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
WTF kind of post is that?
Well Ed, I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as you and I have given ours. Recall also that the Tiptronic Transmission added about $5,000 to the 993 price tag when new. Granted this added expense has long since disappeared, but I do not believe that Tips are worth any less than a stick. There will always be the stick buyers, and there will always be Tip buyers. And as traffic continues to get worse, and with more and more of our next generation of drivers only driving automatics, maybe more future Tip buyers.

You also stated (that based on your experience by driving the Tip a few times), that the Tip did not offer as much of a performance experience as the stick. Might I submit that based on my considerable Tip and stick experience, the performance level for each of these awesome Porsches is the same, just different.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

There will always be someone looking for a tip, just will have to be patient. You should be buying at a lower price point, so sell at a lower price when the time comes.

When I first came looking for a 993 I didn't care whether it was stick or tip (drove manuals since a kid, my 951, supra etc were all manuals) , most important was a wide *** and in good condition. Initially it saw duty as a daily driver, and the tip came in handy for DC's traffic. However in the last couple years it has become a huge paper weight and is rarely driven. Due to the change in duty I would now prefer if it were a manual, as I don't ever see it being used as a DD again. With the increase in traffic in the last couple years, even commuting with the Tip is no fun...... Traffic is just so fricking bad....
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

the performance is not the same.

the torque converter saps power and 4 gears vs 6 are not doing you any favors.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:08 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

The torque converter does not take away any power.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
the performance is not the same.

the torque converter saps power and 4 gears vs 6 are not doing you any favors.
The torque converter does not take away any power.
People can justify a tip all they want, and if that's what they like or need, more power to them. However, I've driven a few 993 tips, and the non-manual box makes the car feel decidedly less lively and less responsive than a 6 speed, a trait that has absolutely no business being in a rear-engined sports car made by Porsche (unless the driver has a physical condition, of course), not to mention the lack of driver involvement. IMHO.

:flame suit on:
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

I would concur that the shift map in the standard Drive mode is ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The point was his stupid "hater" mention and comment he made about (gasp) people interjecting their opinions here.

Well Ed, I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, just as you and I have given ours. Recall also that the Tiptronic Transmission added about $5,000 to the 993 price tag when new. Granted this added expense has long since disappeared, but I do not believe that Tips are worth any less than a stick. There will always be the stick buyers, and there will always be Tip buyers. And as traffic continues to get worse, and with more and more of our next generation of drivers only driving automatics, maybe more future Tip buyers.

You also stated (that based on your experience by driving the Tip a few times), that the Tip did not offer as much of a performance experience as the stick. Might I submit that based on my considerable Tip and stick experience, the performance level for each of these awesome Porsches is the same, just different.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

IMHO you should get what you want. Don't make the mistake below.

I compromised with my '98 M3 ten years ago. Then life happened: raised/focused on needs of the kids, bad economy, kid(now teenager) needs/wants a car, wife wants a new car, next kid(now teenager) wants a car, wife gets a dog then another new car, etc... so I ended up living with a slush box for the pass 10 years... prior to this I only drove stick. Why did I do this to myself? At the time, my buddy worked at a dealership and cut me a sweet deal I could not pass up - $5K less than KBB. Sound familiar? Wife liked auto as well. Afterward I spent $12K on perf mods - a supercharger, suspension, wheels, brakes, plasma coils, etc... to make up for the original inadequacy... was going to finally swap the tranny out next to a 5 speed manual but then I had an epiphany... why not just start out with the right tranny in the 1st place... so I decided not to compromises this time. I just bought a red on blk C2S with 6 sprockets. I wouldn't even compromise on the color... wife hates red.

Well, I'm on cloud 9 now... BTW, I test drove a PDK but it was just not for me... I need that tactile snick/snick shifter feel and the heel/toe action. Put it this way... if for some unlikely reason this happens to be your last car... what would you want to drive?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

My cab was a tip, my turbo is a stick; I can tell you from first hand experience that the stick is much much faster.

Quick Reply: How much does Tiptronic hurt resale?