Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How much does Tiptronic hurt resale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent post! That sound of shifting the 6 speed with the top down is priceless.

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
Good decision. When I was in the market for a 993 there was a gorgeous black cab Tiptronic priced to go with very low mileage. I was hoping it will sell fast before I was tempted any more. It did sell fast and I was glad. I could not see myself driving a tip 993. I did find my dream car Cab with very low mileage 6 speeds. I am elated with my car and there is nothing like shifting through the 6 gears with the top down. With me it was not about the price of one versus the other, tip vs shift and cab vs coupe. My dream car always was a cab 6 speed 993. Mine is going to be inherited by one of my grand kids so I do not really care which one is higher price or if it will sell fast. The 993 is the most beautiful Porsches ever made and they are and will be a highly sought collectors car

________________________________________________________________________ _____________
1997 993, Cab, 6 speed, Targa Wheels, 40K mi

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Don't under price the car..

There is a Nut for every Bolt. If I had to drive in traffic every day, and I wanted a 993, I'd get a Tip.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay to add an alternative opinion. I have a '96 tip and it's the only non-manual Porsche I've owned. I would have preferred a manual but the price and condition of the car were too good to pass on.

Having lived with the car as a daily driver I can honestly say that for me condition far outweighs the tip factor. I enjoy shifting using the wheel buttons and don't regret the purchase at all. For daily driving I just don't miss shifting like I thought I would.

Reality is that changing gears is still under my control. That's key....

Also I have a 930 so I know I can shift when I want to. Maybe there is a subconscious factor at work there I don't know.....
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
When I was searching there were a couple of tips that looked attractive from the ads, but seemed to languish for sale.

As was implied above, a tip's performance/capability/behaviour should not be confused with the latest "auto", DSG.
Good point Ed.
Auto trans are not the same as dual clutch manuals
Tiptronic (Porsche), Steptronic (BMW), Slaptronic (etc..) are not PDK (Porsche), SMG/DSG (BMW), DSG (VW)! Dual clutch manuals are much more advance and can shift at speed no human hand/foot coordination can compete.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Good point Ed.
Auto trans are not the same as dual clutch manuals
Tiptronic (Porsche), Steptronic (BMW), Slaptronic (etc..) are not PDK (Porsche), SMG/DSG (BMW), DSG (VW)! Dual clutch manuals are much more advance and can shift at speed no human hand/foot coordination can compete.
Call them what you like but they are still all automatics, some more advanced than others. Does it really matter if the newer generation change a fracion of a second faster? Not to me.

Love my tip.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove a 964 tip in London for 4 years, and boy was I glad it was a tip. Also it was cool to know that Porsche was the innovator of the tip concept and that the 964 was the first.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
Call them what you like but they are still all automatics, some more advanced than others. Does it really matter if the newer generation change a fracion of a second faster? Not to me.

Love my tip.
It's not just the speed, although that is important. The whole logic aspect on upshifts and downshifts applies too.

Nothing wrong with a tip for convenience, but it is going to be a step backward in the performance dept. If there weren't demand for them, Porsche certainly would not have offered and sold them.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This post is still going? Buy what you really want. Don't settle for something else.

I bought a tip accidentally. I've posted the story several times. I lived with it for 6 years and defended it when the ignorant berated it unfairly. In my opinion the only shortcomings are it only has 4 ratios and you don't control the lockup. So I just had mine changed to 6 speed with LWF. It is a PITA to drive in traffic so I drive it less. But when I do I enjoy it more. I can't wait to go to the track where I'll have more than two useable gear ratios.

The cost for the transmission swap all in was >$15k. It makes the money I saved by buying a tip in the first place seem insignificant.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Anyone else notice that the car is advertised at 29K mileage and the pics clearly show that the odometer has turned over 30K? This is probably nitpicking but, come on!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
Also it was cool to know that Porsche was the innovator of the tip concept and that the 964 was the first.
A bit off topic, but since knowledge is power, here goes.

Porsche was not the first automobile company to introduce manumatics, the proper term referring to an automatic transmission that allows for driver control of gear selection. Porsche's first model that had this feature was the 1990 964. For sure Honda offered a manumatic in 1999 and possibly someone else did as well.

Secondly, Porsche coined and trademarked the term "tiptronic" however they licensed this name to a couple of other companies including Audi.

Lastly, Porsche was the first company to place the controls of the manumatic (tiptronic) on the steering wheel. This was done so that the driver did not have to take his/her hands off the steering wheel to shift. As per Porsche it is the best/proper way to drive these cars.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

a bunch of $$$$$$$$ for most people, probably 6 - 8k difference
Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

[QUOTE=deadhead1960;8361486]A bit off topic, but since knowledge is power, here goes.

Porsche was not the first automobile company to introduce manumatics, the proper term referring to an automatic transmission that allows for driver control of gear selection. Porsche's first model that had this feature was the 1990 964. For sure Honda offered a manumatic in 1999 and possibly someone else did as well.
/QUOTE]

dont forget these too!
http://www.sportomatic.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
C2Cab95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
dont forget these too!
http://www.sportomatic.com/
If I ever drove a 911 with a Sportomatic transmission, heaven help the drivers behind me, because I'd be slamming on the brake pedal as if it were a clutch.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get what you want. While I loved the 6 speed 993 that I owned, I've come to like the tip in my car a lot. A lot more than the color, unfortunately...:-|
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
As was implied above, a tip's performance/capability/behaviour should not be confused with the latest "auto", DSG.
That's obvious. You can't compare the performance/capability of a 993 engine with that of the 997 engines either. They are what they are.

Quick Reply: How much does Tiptronic hurt resale?