Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing 993 shifter boot

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removing 993 shifter boot

Do I have to disassemble the center console to change out the shifter boot/gearshift lever for this car? How do I disengage the perimeter spring that holds the boot in place in the center console? Hoping there is a trick to doing this! I am afraid to experiment knowing that I could easily damage the upholstery.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ernie: http://www.fdmotorsports.net/SSK%20DIY.pdf
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I have never been able to remove the boot by the way shown. I have always found myself removing the entire certer console.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you go to P-car.com it will show you how to do it. You dont have to remove anything else.
Very easy to do.
AL Z
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

It's easy-just press down at top & bottom corner on the right side of boot frame were it meets the console. The boot frame is a thick wire sewed into the leather base.
The left side of the console cut out contains two pressure clips that hold the wire frame snug in place. Pull boot up and away. Invert boot over shift **** and remove allen screw

Good luck
Rich

Last edited by RDS928S; 03-04-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Z
If you go to P-car.com it will show you how to do it. You dont have to remove anything else.
Very easy to do.
AL Z
+1. Did it last month. Putting it back together was slightly difficult -- took a few tries to get the ring around the base of the boot in place.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Did you find an S shifter ****/boot, Ernie?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Ernie:

No you do not have to remove the center console. I changed mine both the shifter and the E-brake. I now have them both with dark root wood. P-car has the instructions. I know I posted pictures of my finished work. I do not remember but I think I gave tips. I will check tonight and write to you. Removing the shifter boot is easy the some what tricky part is puting it back. Sounds familiar the tricky part of the ISV valve is putting it back.

Roberto
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Ughhhh..... I must have removed the console 3 or 4 times over the years just to remove the boot. Next time.........
Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Hi Ernie:

Here is the title of my posting "Installed Dark Root Wood Shifter/Handbrake Pics" I do explain further down in my posting some of the issues, but not in detail. I bought the root wood shifter boot and the E-brake from Gert at Cornwall-Europe. He sent me the installation instructions that I followed. From what I remember they were a bit easier to follow than the others I have seen. I will mail them to you tonight and I will also post them for other people to use as reference. The instructions tell you with pictures how to remove the boot. I will explain how I installed the new one. As I said above it is a bit tricky but not hard. You do not have to remove the console for either the shifter nor the E-brake, just be pacient, relax and take your time.

Roberto
The following users liked this post:
abiazis (10-07-2022)
Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default Shifter and Boot

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Yes, I did find a cashmere boot and a shifter. I also was able to find a short shift kit that will move the shifter up and slightly to the rear to fit my body better than the current setup.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
Hi Ernie:

Here is the title of my posting "Installed Dark Root Wood Shifter/Handbrake Pics" I do explain further down in my posting some of the issues, but not in detail. I bought the root wood shifter boot and the E-brake from Gert at Cornwall-Europe. He sent me the installation instructions that I followed. From what I remember they were a bit easier to follow than the others I have seen. I will mail them to you tonight and I will also post them for other people to use as reference. The instructions tell you with pictures how to remove the boot. I will explain how I installed the new one. As I said above it is a bit tricky but not hard. You do not have to remove the console for either the shifter nor the E-brake, just be pacient, relax and take your time.

Roberto
Thanks Roberto. I can imagine that the rosewood shifter must be a beautiful addition. I'm not familiar (yet) with Gerts, but I'll take a look at the site. Still going to bleed your brakes?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rdelvalle
Hi Ernie:

Roberto
Thanks Roberto. I can imagine that the rosewood shifter must be a beautiful addition. I'm not familiar (yet) with Gerts, but I'll take a look at the site. Still going to bleed your brakes?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default Shifter and Boot

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Yes, I did find a cashmere boot and a shifter. I also was able to find a short shift kit that will move the shifter up and slightly to the rear to fit my body better than the current setup.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Hi Ernie:

Here are the links to the shifter and the E-brake DIY. The shifter DIY is excellent by Gerts. It has neat pictures on how to do it, it worked well for me, and again I did not remove the console. The hardest part is when you get to the last corner that you have to snap. Keeping the rest of the boot engaged on the clips while you do the last corner is tricky. Just follow Gerts’ instructions. Grab the boot inside, see picture, with your left hand and pull up until it engages the clip. With your right hand keep the rest of the boot engaged on the clip. It is just a matter of patience. Here is my DIY.

I will be bleeding the brakes but not know. I am getting everything I need to change the oil and then do the brakes at the same time. I have not decided yet on the brake fluid. I am leaning for the Endless 650 although I do not do tracks. This weekend I am working on my motorcycle.

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93080_inst.htm
http://p-car.com/diy/handbrake/

Roberto
________________________________________________________________________ _____________

Two of my German toys:
1997 993 Cab, Targa Wheels, 40K mi
1957 Victoria Avanti K, the only one of its kind in USA, 25 in the world. Just refurbished

Quick Reply: Removing 993 shifter boot