Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

HID Conversion Kit Porsche 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:16 PM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps someone can chime in with a recommendation for which bulb is the best match for the HID low beam conversion. (I've got Tore's kit installed.)

During my searches I've seen recommendations for:
Sylvania Silverstar ZxE H1
Sylvania/Osram "european version"
Phillips "Chrystal Vision" H1
Philips "Vision Plus"
"It doesn't matter" you'll use the low beams more anyway.

Tore, or anyone, have you some recommendation?

I still use the high beams all the time, I guess its darker here in Oregon than it used to be! (Can't be me.)
Old 10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 236 Posts

I've tried a lot of brands of halogen bulbs, but have not seen significant colour differences. The names vary, Silverstar, Xenon white, Superbright etc. You name it. I've seen several recommendations on this forum on the Osram/Sylvania ZXE bulbs and I've tried them. I was only impressed by the extravagant packaging on these, not the bulbs, at least taking the extra cost into account.
The ZXE's could possibly be slightly whiter and brighter than a pair of old standard halogen bulbs, but I would not bet on it. In my opinion they are all about the same colour and brightness, and have learnt to live with the yellowish high beam compared to the HID bulbs.
Cheers,
Tore

Last edited by ToreB; 10-06-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
I've tried a lot of brands of halogen bulbs, but have not seen significant colour differences. The names are vary, Silverstar, Xenon white, Superbright etc. You name it. I've seen several recommendations on this forum on the Osram/Sylvania ZXE bulbs and I've tried them. I was only impressed by the extravagant packaging on these, not the bulbs, at least taking the extra cost into account.
The ZXE's could possibly be slightly whiter and brighter than a pair of old standard halogen bulbs, but I would not bet on it. In my opinion they are all about the same colour and brightness, and have learnt to live with the yellowish high beam compared to the HID bulbs.
Cheers,
Tore
After $pending for "high performance" Phillips H1's I tend to agree: not much, if any difference.

Maybe age of bulb has more to do with brightness???

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Kit Porsche 993