Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Politically Incorrect Porsche Joke

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm terribly offended too. You shouldn't be bragging about your new Porsche especially on Facebook.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
Vandy Sagina's. My new nick.
Now that thar is funny!

OP, I like your joke and thanks for posting.
Since Don Rickles name was mentioned a few times, I imagine he just shakes his head and thanks the heavens that he wasn't born in these times. I'm only 56 but I miss his style of humor and the likes of Andrew 'Dice' Clay who sold out MSG for nights on end. Laughter is a good thing.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

subscribed!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

I totally understand how someone could take offense to Goofball's original post or the jokes that followed. I also understand how someone could take offense to a noob post asking what the difference is between 993s and other 911s or a post offering sport seats for sale for $15,000.

Bottom line: you don't have to open a post if it is offensive/boring/repetitive/spam/etc. Goofball clearly marked his thread as OT and offensive, so buyer beware....
Old 02-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
only 56 but I miss his style of humor and the likes of Andrew 'Dice' Clay who sold out MSG for nights on end. Laughter is a good thing.
lets not forget to ad the late Sam Kinison in there also. Now there's a comedian who could offend people. One of my all time favorite's.

IMHO, this vile-mean spirited back and forth thread belongs in the off topic political forum.

I don't understand, appreciate, or certainly expect this type of mean speak on such an honorable forum(993).

On another note, without sarcasm and a sense of humor...I don't know how anybody can get thru a normal day.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

You are neither a bigot nor a racist if you hate EVERYONE equally.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I giggle every time I fart.

Andreas
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Someone just sent this to me. It's meant totally in fun, not to offend:

"I just put a deposit down on a brand new Porsche and mentioned it on Facebook. I said "I can't wait for the new 911 to arrive!"

Next thing I know 4000 Muslims added me as a friend."
What do all the men yell in a Muslim strip joint? Show us your face, show us your face!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

AIBTL (Already In Before The Lock (or The Abyss)).
Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

If you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at these jokes. It's humor; dark and sick. Just the way I like it! Sam Kinison (December 8, 1953 – April 10, 1992) was and is my favorite comedian. You can't get darker or sicker than that!

Once again Goofballdeluxe is spot on. Damn, I really want to hate him too.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM
greenshoe
Intermediate

Laughing at yourself and laughing at others different than you is not the same thing.

Laughing at yourself would mean a white American making fun of whites. But a non-Muslim making fun of Muslims can easily cross the line because you can't say "we need to laugh at ourselves" because the person telling the joke is forcing the issue.

I personally don't find these jokes that offensive, but I can understand why other would.

If you're laughing at others different than you, expect them to get offended, and telling them "lighten up" actually makes it worse.

RULE OF THUMB:

If you make fun of other people, contextualize it by making fun of yourself. Otherwise, your jokes will be derogatory.

Example: a white person making fun of blacks is "more acceptable" if the white person is also making fun of himself. But without "making fun of himself", it will be offensive.

The only way where one can really get away with it without offending others is to make fun of yourself.

If you can't be self-deprecating of your own kind (that's the setup to the joke), then the joke you tell about others will more than likely be offensive.

George Lopez can go to town making fun of Mexicans and Latinos, but if another white comedian did it, it would be offensive. Likewise, Jeff Foxworthy has way more leeway to make fun of Southerners than George Lopez could. And Chris Rock can get away going to town on black people that no non-black comedian ever could.

A skinny guy making fun of fat women isn't funny - but offensive. But a fat woman making fun of other fat woman can be funny.

Comics dance that line all the time, and sometimes cross it, but as a stand up or a sketch comic, that sweet spot of LMFAO funny is when they reach the very edge, without it crossing the line.

Example: Borat says so many anti-Semetic things, but its not offensive to many Jewish audiences because Sasha Baron Cohen is Jewish himself. Also, he says a lot of incredibly outrageous things, but you laugh at it because the character is such a loser.

And that's the last thing:

If you're going to tell an incredibly offensive joke, the joke teller has to be conveyed as a big loser. Example: if you're a guy trying to tell incredibly misogynistic jokes, it's more permissible if the guy conveys himself as a complete douche or loser, so that way the audience is permitted not only to laugh at the joke but at the person telling the joke. But if the joke teller comes across as a normal straight guy, it comes across as misogynistic.

This isn't about political correctness, but if you're going to poke fun at others, you have to poke fun at your own kind at the same time.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:57 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Hate to blow your long post out of the water, but both Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy made millions making fun of white people. In case you were wondering, neither Richard Pryor nor Eddie Murphy are white.

So I guess to the more sensitive minded folks on here, they would be perceived as insensitive racists. Personally, I just call it jokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiyVZ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvoxW28_UV4
Old 02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd laugh at white people too (actually I do, have you been to walmart lately?) but there just are not that many tasteless jokes about white people.

I wish there were, but I don't get offended anyway so I wouldn't be peeing myself about it.

This thread is gud.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Well, like I said, it's really meant to be a harmless joke, no matter how you personally are able to perceive it.

Somehow I doubt you're crying right now and/or scheduling a visit to a shrink to overcome the piercing pain my joke caused. But, hey, I could be wrong. So, If the joke I posted wounded you to your very core, and you are indeed profoundly and seriously hurt over my little joke, please tell me and I will offer you a sincere apology. I'm serious.

So, I'm curious. Are you implying that Don Rickles was a bigot? He made lots of really off-color jokes. Or Dean Martin a racist? His roasts were so blue they would make you blush. Did their comedy routines cause great masses to be suppressed? Should people like the late George Carlin have had their freedom suppressed and censored because certain elements might find their point of view distasteful? So you see, I think your way of thinking is the slippery slope to suppressing truth and freedom and promotes mindless conformity and Groupthink.

As I said, stereotypes exist for a reason; there is an element of truth to them. You may not agree, but humor can be a way to lessen the impact of stereotypes by allowing us to make light of the inanity of stereotypes. That was the spirit behind my posting the joke. Believe it or not, even though I'm Italian, I'm not Mussolini.

OK, all seriousness aside, you have my word that I will not use my joke to instigate an uprising against our fine Muslim brothers and sisters. I'm way too lazy to undertake a campaign of such vitriol and hatred. And if I see any comedians, musicians, artists or other types who make millions making off-color jokes, I'll keep in mind that at least one of them is really Hitler 2011 in the making
This has nothing to do with "wounding" me. That's simply another excuse to avoid the whole debate about stereotyping other people. And it's not about your "freedom" to express yourself, nor George Carlin's "freedom to express" himself, either. You did express yourself. And I expressed myself.

And all I am saying is that these kinds of jokes disseminate all over the place and further people's fear and hatred towards the Other. And that's why I find them distasteful and inappropriate. It had little to do with you and I, or whether or not we can "handle" them appropriately or whether we have "racist" tendencies, etc., etc..

All Muslims are not terrorists. Yes, you and I know that. But to make a joke that implies they are terrorists works to instill in people's minds that indeed Muslims are terrorists and that they are less than human. Sure, you can say it's just a joke but it does solidify and perpetuate the notion. And why didn't you use "al-Qaeda" instead of "Muslims" in the joke? That would have been specific. When we are terrified of terrorists, then we become terrified of all people who are different. And that fear is what brings about action, whether it's an official war or somebody beating up a dark skinned person on the street.

And just because it "makes money" in the media or that comedians have cashed in on it, doesn't condone it. And yeah, I'd say Martin and Rickles were probably bigoted. And does Reality TV actually have anything to do with reality? No, it's simply something that plays to the lowest denominator and is a cash cow for the industry. We all realize this. It's a venue where things we normally leave unspoken are spoken for us. It's why fart jokes or scat jokes are considered funny by kids. And what the entertainment media produces does has a reflection on people and it's why they do try to be responsible on certain levels. Don't forget, not everyone is like us. Young kids are extremely impressionable.

And yes, it is all racist. The very definition of racism has become a convoluted one for a good reason. Those in power still need a reason to argue for superiority. Muslims are terrorists and Christians are infidels. It worked in the 12th and 13th Centuries and it still works today.

The point is, that stereotyping has been an effective way to separate people from each other and perpetuating the very notion of superiority. And it is what made slavery more palatable to the world, or what justified certain wars in the past, or enabled the British to keep on colonizing the Other, etc., etc.. And the stereotyping jokes keep this same old song and dance continuing. Stereotyping more than often results from, and leads to, prejudice and bigotry. It's pretty well understood.

And once again, I simply say what's the point in keeping these sorts of jokes alive? Clever humor is good humor. Witty humor is funny. This sort of stuff takes very little effort to conjure up and relies on thinking about someone else as being inferior. Again it's obvious it has an affect on those who are the target. I've seen 993 owners get incredibly upset when 997 owners tell them they can't afford a new Porsche or that their 15 year old cars are just rust buckets. They're stereotyping too, but it sure hits home. It seems to get to their "very core," as you say.

Are you offending me? No. But I still do not get get the point of racist jokes. And yes, they are racist. Because they believe that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race. That belief in itself is not the issue. But to emphasis that those characteristics and abilities are inferior is simply derogatory and racist and it does no good in the world. It did no good yesterday and it does no good today.

Stereotypes can have a negative and positive impact on individuals. Stereotyping is part of being human. But stereotyping can create competition between groups which minimizes similarities and magnifies differences. And so one needs to be careful about how they stereotype, in what context, and what might be the ramifications of a particular type of stereotyping. There is general stereotyping and there is prejudiced stereotyping. The jokes were the latter.

btw, one of my former college students (a brilliant kid who just was accepted to UCLA law school) had to go home this past summer to bury his mother and grandmother due to the flooding in Balochistan (the province in Pakistan where his family lives.) No doubt he would have surely laughed at himself had seen this joke that was posted here earlier: "The Red Cross knocked at my door asking if I could help towards the floods in Pakistan. I said I would love to, but my hose only reaches the bottom of the driveway."
Old 02-12-2011, 04:24 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqOI7KejIng

Bring it.

Quick Reply: OT: Politically Incorrect Porsche Joke