Sponsored by:

OT: Politically Incorrect Porsche Joke

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
enough of all this..isn't any other beaver lovers out there gonna back me up on this?

I am outraged!legal beverage in hand

"Lighten up."

Old 02-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
"Lighten up Francis."
fixed that for ya...

StILL OUTRAGED2nd 750ml bottle of 9.8% Belgium goodness inhand, and in blood system
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Every joke made is at the expense of someone else, if only at the generic stupidity of the butt of the joke.

Jokes are our little taunts of relevancy and irony in the face of a largely indifferent universe. Jokes bring another dimension to our existence and our souls into being.

Sure, some jokes are in fact thinly disguised attacks on others. The only surefire way to defuse a joke like that is to laugh at it. Laughter doesn't convey agreement with the jokester's point of view, merely that one got the joke.

I believe that the ability to make a joke - and to get the joke - are the crowning achievements of the human brain. I find those who can do neither are at best uninteresting and at worst, dangerous.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Canyon, I understand your point, but really, you just made my point.

You see, no, you don't know Don Rickles. Just as I don't know you. And yet, you felt it was OK to say you thought he was probably a bigot, even though you've never met the man. But he's not a bigot. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Now, one could make a strong argument that that's a form of being prejudiced. Prejudiced is to pre-judge. That's where the word comes from. To pre-judge without knowledge. To me, to be prejudiced against someone you don't know and yet feel OK to attach slanderous labels to is a form of bigotry. No better than my silly joke, anyway. So you see, it's all how you decide to cut the cucumber.

I am aware you're not the only person in the world who can get offended by a dumb joke. We live in PC conformists times. I meet many who gladly fall in line. So I do get your point there. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

But the idea that it's racist to re-post an off-color Porsche joke, but being prejudiced against others you don't know, and attach vicious and slanderous labels that are totally false is OK; that seems to be more than a little contradictory, no?

To me, they are one and the same.

Further, if we're all equal, and we all are, then I'd imagine there's no dispensation needed to Europeans or anyone else when it comes to off-color jokes. We are all equal. We can all take a dumb joke.

And if we can't take a joke? You know what to do if they can't take a joke, right?
Goofball, what I think you still fail to see is that this isn't about you. I first responded that I thought the jokes were inappropriate. It was the second post after Ilko posted the rest of the jokes from the source. I was merely stating my opinion.

I entered the fray only because you then responded with the implication that I "had bigger issues." And that I need to simply "lighten up." Or that I wasn't "humorous enough" or was a boring unhappy person who can't laugh. That I did feel was pretty childish.

Yet I never once implied you were a racist or a bigot. I merely discussed what is really behind these sorts of jokes. My concern was the jokes, not you. It's about the jokes. And I'll say it once again: I am not offended.

And it's not about "PC-conformist times." That's simply painting over the real issue.

If you feel it's all very appropriate and it's your world view, then there's really no reason to engage in the dialectic from the onset. Or to even reply if someone says they don't appreciate the jokes. When one is content and secure in their world view, then their actions don't need rationalizing. You either partake in the action or you don't. But you do have to realize the consequences of your actions might not conform to your own beliefs and philosophies. In other words, someone might take an opposing view.

I still strongly feel that connecting one's faith to a vile act of terrorism in the context of the joke you chose to post on a car forum, is simply inappropriate and not humorous. And therefore, I commented. I didn't think it was funny and I particularly didn't find the other jokes funny either.

As to you being Italian and immune to Italian stereotypes, well, it has no bearing on what I'm saying. For every Goofball out there, I can count an equal number of Italians who despise the Jersey Shore Dago stereotype and all the attached derogatory jokes. It doesn't matter if it doesn't bother you. The fact is it does bother others.

And as far as Don Rickles is concerned (or Dean Martin), I would venture to say that they had their own version of bigotry (of course we all do in the end; based on our perceptions and not reality.) It was more prevalent in those days and the world was a much smaller place. It was a time when Italians weren't being paid the same wages as Whites or even hired, due to stereotyping. And people were more isolated in their global understanding.

But the world has changed and the stereotyping and the racially toned jokes for the most part are fewer. We all have a better grasp on the real world out there. If you read news articles from the 1900s to the 1960s, the tone and even the language is radically different. It's actually kind of amazing what sort of derogatory innuendos were considered acceptable in the mainstream press.

Nonetheless, my saying I think Don Rickles was somewhat of a bigot himself is radically different than making a joke about an African American's physical differences. I'm simply making my own observation about his own personality. I'm not lumping him into a group of people that I can isolate and control through my stereotyping.

Again, I don't think the jokes are very funny and I firmly believe (and always have) that they help fuel the anger and discontent in the world today. It perpetuates racism and misunderstanding. So all I say is, what's the point? Why make crude jokes about other people who look or act different, and/or have a different faith? That's just where you and I differ.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

OK, you got me.

My joke was an overt attempt to control minorities and perpetuate racism. In fact, I bought my 993 only because it was from the land of Hitler

Now, that we got that settled, I would invite the multitudes of Rennlisters who PM'd me saying how ludicrous it was for anyone to get so offended by something so small to join me at my Klan rally, but, alas, I'm off to the beach to continue my race baiting ways.

Next time I see Mr. Rickles and Nate 'N Al's for breakfast, I'll inform him that he's a bigot.

Ilko, please bring the crosses and the lighter fluid.

Everyone else, have a great weekend and Praise Allah.

I've never locked a thread, but here goes.

Quick Reply: OT: Politically Incorrect Porsche Joke