Sponsored by:

Igniter Unit - $920 :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Igniter Unit - $920 :(

Uh oh! So my new 993 passed my PPI with flying colors - there was ostensibly nothing wrong. However, I noticed a few times that one of my headlights was not turning on when I turned the dial. Usually, if I turned them (or the car) on/off a few times, that corrected it (they would both turn on). I asked the dealership to look into it and here was the result...

We swapped the igniters from left to right and now find the right headlight no turning on all the time. To fix the issue we would ne to replace the igniter unit, installed it is $920.00. We do not have one here, but would be able to order it if you wanted to replace it.
Unfortunately, since picking the car up, the headlight has become even more temperamental...it WILL still turn on, but it's taking puttering around with my ignition, turning it on/off.

So, I have two questions:

1 - Should the PPI have revealed this?
2 - Does the diagnosis make sense? $920? Eee gad!!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi asofine. Lets hope this is just a small false start to 993 ownership!

Put simply for the first question....who knows. It may have manifested itself post purchase. However the answer is essentially given what i believe you paid for the car (another thread) your dealer should indeed replace this under "good will". Afterall you bought one of the cleanest, low mileage and no doubt most expensive 993s sold by them for a while so I would expect so in fairness - yes they should replace it on ther coin. Testing headlights for function but not performance was probably the aim of the PPI but none the less...

Second point. 920 usd is probably right for a Porsche ignigtor module. However you could buy the same almost half that price Im sure using Gert or the FisterD boys. The dealerships do no favours with pricing and their retail quote is probably 30-40% more than you couldd find one of these yourself. I suspect a wreaker would be even cheaper.

Frankly if you are going to get stuck with the bill I suggest you simply buy an ebay kit that uses the older style analogue ignitors. These were Philips designed units if I recall. They all have the same format plugs for power in and out. You could unbolt the original pair, discard and replace keeping the factory position and hardware already bolted into your inside trunk. You best do both to match the brands and performance. This solution would cost you $100usd and a couple of hourse easy labour. Newer smaller Digital systems exit which fit in the headlight itself but you already have everything in place as a factory option so best lave it to look original. If you are concerned over originality steam off the labels on the old ignitor boxes and apply glue stick and glue them on the new units!

Lastly. One point to overide all above. To me this does not sound like a faulty ignitor, To me this sounds likea loose wire or bad ground. My first $50 would be spent getting an auto electricial to check the connections bith within the headlight itself, then the plugs, then the ignitor and the ground. I think this could be a simple connection issue. Maybe you wont have to spend any more. The old style analogue ignitors are more reliabe form my experience than the newer cheaper digital ones - they generally wont fail for the life of the car but they are bulky and give off heat.....

Hope that helps...

Cheers
M
Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this what you are after?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1997-04-Porsche-B...ht_1995wt_1139
Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi asofine. Lets hope this is just a small false start to 993 ownership!

Put simply for the first question....who knows. It may have manifested itself post purchase. However the answe is essentially given what i believe you paid for the car (another thread) your dealer should indeed replace this undergood will. Afterall you bought one of the cleanest, low mileage and no doubt most expensive 993s sold by them for a while I would expect so in fairness - yes they should replace it on ther coin. Testing headlights for function but not performance was probably the aim of the PPI but non the less...

Second point. 920 usd is probaly right for a Porsche ignightor module. However you could buy the same almost half that price Im sure using Gert or the FristerD boys. The dealerships do no favours with pricing and their retail quote is probably 30-40% more than you couldd find one of these yourself. I suspect a wreaker would be even cheaper.

Frankly if you are going to get stuk with the bill I suggest you simply buy an ebay kit that uses the older style analogue ignightors. These were philips designed units if I recall. They all have the same format plugs for power in and out. You couldd unbolt the original pair, discard and replace keeping the factory position and hardware already bolted into your inside trunk. You best ddo both to match the brands and performance. This solution would cost you $100usd and a couple of hourse easy labour. Newer smaller Digital systems exit which fit in teh headlight iitself but you already have everything in place as a factory option so best lave it to look original. If you are concerned ver originalisty steam off the labels on the oldd ignito boxes and apply glue stick and glue them on the new units!

Lastly. One point to overide all above. To me this does not sound like a faulty ignitor, To me this sounds likea loose wire or bad ground. My first $50 would be spent getting an auto electricial to check the connections bith within the headlight itself, then the plugs, then the ignitor and the ground. I think this couple be simple connection issue. Maybe you wont have to spend any more. The old style analogue ignitors are more reliabe form my experienc ethan the newer cheaper ddigital ones - they geenerally wont fail for the life of the car but they are bulky and give off heat.....

Hope that helps...

Cheers
M
Macca, you are awesome! Thank you so much. I'll give this some thought and let you know what I end up doing.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trophy
Is it? I don't know. Somebody help a n00b.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

OK, the obvious question - have you swapped left and right igniters to make sure that the problem migrates to the other side? If so, it's a faulty igniter. If not, you save yourself a few bucks and can go buy a beer and relax.

PS. What Steven posted is what you need if, indeed, you need an igniter.

PPS. The Xenon kits are about $40 nowadays and about 20 minute job to install both sides. As Macca suggested, it might be the right solution. And you can sell the rest of your OEM system too.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No problem. Re reading my post please replace ignitor with ballast. I think I have used the wrong terminology for the square steel box you are referring to. The factory parts system actually calls it a litonics control unit part 993 631 093 00. This may be an earlier version of what Steve sent a link for but may also be the same part.....I didnt check....

M
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nile13
OK, the obvious question - have you swapped left and right igniters to make sure that the problem migrates to the other side? If so, it's a faulty igniter. If not, you save yourself a few bucks and can go buy a beer and relax.

PS. What Steven posted is what you need if, indeed, you need an igniter.

PPS. The Xenon kits are about $40 nowadays and about 20 minute job to install both sides. As Macca suggested, it might be the right solution. And you can sell the rest of your OEM system too.
Indeed, their first step was to swap the igniters from left to right, and the problem didn't go away (obviously, it switched to the other side). Sorry for my n00b-ness, but can somebody dumb this down for me further? Are you saying that I can buy a Xenon kit for $40 to eradicate this entire problem? Would I be downgrading in any way?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't worry about Noob-ness, we've all been there.

Yes, there are a number of xenon kits on eBay that many of us run. They include two headlamps of assorted color temperatures (you'd want something n 4300K range), two slim ballasts that you can actually fit inside the headlights and the needed wiring that you'd splice into your existing harness. Which actually is simpler than it sounds. The kits can be found by searching eBay for "Xenon kit slim ballast". You can buy non-slim ballast kits as well. They cost a bit less but the igniter would sit outside of headlight.

Many of us run these kits and like them. Whether it's a downgrade is a religious issue. It's not a downgrade from the functional standpoint. But if you are OEM-only kind of guy you might not like the idea. Litronics (Porsche-speak for Xenon headlights) was a fairly rare option on 993s.

Finally... where are you located and where and when did you get the car? It's a safety and inspection issue. If it's anywhere near Cali, you might have a button to push with the dealer you bought it from. Or you might not. But Steve's URL to that eBay listing is an alternative. You might try to talk them into selling one igniter to you for less money as you don't need both.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 AM
dapper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

asofine,

As a near newbie myself I fully understand your confusion. My car had a headlamp conversion by the previous owner. The conversion would have involved changing the standard headlamp bulbs with HID versions, plus (like a strip light) the HID type bulbs each require an external igniter box, or ballast. Porsche offered High intensity headlamps as an option on the 993 but they called their HID system ‘Litronic’. The Litronic ballasts are mounted to each side of the inner fenders inside the hood (lift the carpet to view). From what you have said above your car has the Porsche Litronic system. The genuine Litronic parts are incredibly expensive compared to the numerous very cheap aftermarket conversion kits now available.

The ballast part of your Porsche Litronic headlamp system on one side sounds like it may well be faulty (seems very possible as the fault swapped sides when the garage swapped across the Litronic ballasts, or their speak - igniters). If you wish to do minimal work and maintain originality, grab the Porsche original Litronic ballast/igniter item on E bay that has been linked above, its massively reduced in price by the seller (it was 'very' keenly priced so may already be sold). Of course there is a risk with that if it is not brand new?

Alternatively if you are not overly concerned with originality and sticking with OEM you can buy a complete new 'HID kit' selecting from the many on Ebay or via search sites. You would need to install all parts of the kit, i.e. both sides to maintain even lighting in terms of temperature (colour) and brightness. So many years have passed that we are now at a time when full HID kits (2 bulbs/2 ballasts/wiring) are typically considerably less money than even a single Porsche Litronic ballast. Bear in mind that this course of action would be effectively 'de-optioning' your Porsche (assuming the Litronic units on your car weren't added by a previous owner), to some on here this would be a no no, to others they won't care, you pays your money etc. Just be careful with choosing the most sensible temperature HID kit, so you don’t end up with e.g. blue lamps.

Others have suggested checking the wiring, but in my view if the fault went across sides with the swapped across ballast, it is most likely to be the ballast, or parts related directly to it, i.e. the ballast connector.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello,
The porsche litronic option is one of the best options I have on my car and would not drive without it.
Litronic if not factory mounted, costs € 3800 from dealer WITHOUT the fitting expenses.
There are xenon kits here and there which could be great.
BUT you have the original.
In My Honest Opinion, for nothing in the world I would downgrade to an aftermarket kit.
For Info, I retrofitted my car with the original porsche litronic and paid €1600 for the parts
you would NOT want to downgrade.
For the ignitor, the whole litronic system is made by Bosch
go on ebay and search for ( BOSCH BALLAST )
the ballasts in the link above are for the 993, in the item description they even have a 993 part number
to make it cheaper, there are sellers offering ONE unit at $50 ish
ALL the Bosch ballasts are the same if they have the same shape you have
look at the link above on ebay and check out the photo
this is the ballast you need.
there are no bosch ballasts of this shape with different specs, they are the same.
So if the description says bmw 760 or mercedes 600 don't worry.
To change, it will take you 2 minutes.
go to pcarworkshop and check the litronic installation TSB for install info, if you feel you need guidance.
Wear protective gloves, and stand on a wood board. The ballasts are high discharge.

If you don't want your litronics after all, you cannot install an after-market kit easily anyhow.
the litronic wiring harness and headlight plug diagram are not the same as the normal headlights.
I am sure all the kits have wiring diagrams for the regular lights and no diagrams for litronic.
And if still you do not want the original litronic,
I can get you two headlights, a xenon kit, in exchange for your litronics, and I would be making money.
my regards
Old 02-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

dapper. good advise. Right you are re the ignitor being the likely faulty unit. I didnt read the original diagnosis properly. Given what we know the safest and easiest bet hs to be paying 150 for those two ignitors trying one which would take 10 minutes if it works but the other on ebay for 100 usd and total cost for you $50 not even worth the gas and hassle of an argument with the dealer....

Cheers
Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

So much information!

Macca, are you saying that I can buy these: http://tinyurl.com/4rhljvh for $150, which will maintain the "stock" nature of my headlights? If so, how much is the dealership going to charge me to install them (I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near my car)?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Mate. Assuming they are the correct unit for your car which appears confirmed from a number of those in the know on above posts then yes effectively you can purchase these units - fit one or both to your ehicle and could sell the remianing single unit on eba to defray the cost. i would think they sell faster as a single unit than a pair in ay case for people such as yourself who are experiencing a single faulty unit. If you disconnect the power to you battery and unscrew the frame that holds the culpit unit to the inside fender wall of the 993 under the carpet you can unplug one set and replace by yourself with a credriver, 15 minutes free time and no need to stand on wood LOL! You readly dont need any technical knowledge to unplug the old one and swp them over - not much harder than a light bulb really....

Cheers
M
Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a complete litronic right side light with 2 ballast With 29k miles on them that I will sell for $250. I think the ignitor might be a part in the light chasis itself. Don't quote me.

Quick Reply: Igniter Unit - $920 :(